Rangers 0 - 0 Hearts

Windass has done fine but drops out of games too easily for me.

Kranjcar is less likely to do that but he won't be able to cover the same ground Windass would so, as much as Niko is a great passer of the ball, I'm not so sure he's the right choice if we want to have a high tempo. Certainly not in a wider role anyway.

Tend to agree re Windass. Played well against Motherwell and Wednesday, but in both matches, we were well on top (for the most part). I do feel that Windass does go hiding when things are not going too well. I believe that we need Walker or even better, a genuine left sided midfielder/winger. Must be a left footed 'Candeias' somewhere in Portugal!

Miller is in the team, largely due to his work rate, and we don't have a direct replacement for him. Kranjcar and Pena would add more quality, but without covering the same amount of ground. I just don't see Herrera and Morelos being played together, unless we go long ball from early doors.

I also get the impression that Pedro wants to have a strong Scottish contingent throughout the team, so expect Miller to start tomorrow!

I'll be working and so miss it. The last time that happened I got home in the 87th minute and we were 6-0 ahead. A repeat would do just nicely (even though I'd moan about missing it).

Edited by SteveC

When i used to feck up, get into scraps or face some hardship, my old man used to say it was character building, you either fold or fight. Well i think this season is going to be character building for this team, tomorrow will give us some insight into how their character is shaping up. I have the feeling this team, this time, is up for the fight.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

I clearly remember some of my greatest heroes going missing on a routine basis. Davie Cooper was particularly guilty of this. Windass is no Davie Cooper yet and perhaps never will be but I'd like to find out what he can achieve and I'll only do that if he plays regularly.

Windass has done fine but drops out of games too easily for me.

Kranjcar is less likely to do that but he won't be able to cover the same ground Windass would so, as much as Niko is a great passer of the ball, I'm not so sure he's the right choice if we want to have a high tempo. Certainly not in a wider role anyway.

One option that we could consider is bringing in Kranjcar for Miller - not as a direct replacement but what we COULD do is push Windass into Miller's position (up top beside Morelos) and have Niko playing on the left where Windass was playing. This would be that assymetrical shape we were talking about the other week. This way you get the pace and ingenuity from Windass (as replacement to Miller) and Niko gives you the craft and guile needed.

All that said I personally wouldn't change the team from last week, bar Wallace coming back in to replace Hodson. Until the sending off I felt we were far superior to Hibs, and I think Hibs are superior to Hearts - so, effectively, same again please - high tempo, high pressure from the off and Hearts wont be able to live with us.

One thing from last weekend about Windass and the notion that he hides....

At one point there were some Bears round about me literally screaming at Windass for being a "lazy basturt" when the Hibs right winger had acres of space and Windass made zero effort to get back to help the defence...... What every single one of those fans missed was that Windass actually started tracking back to assist and Pedro was yelling at him to NOT track back. Pedro wanted Windass to "cheat" by staying up front along with Morelos or Herrera. We were down 3-1 at the time and Pedro's attitude was of keeping two up front as we were chasing the game.

So all those saying he was lazy... he wasn't. He was looking to do his job but the manager demanded he actually carried out a different job.

I think Windass has the potential to turn into a fine player for us - just needs to make better decisions at times but he is direct & pacy.

One thing from last weekend about Windass and the notion that he hides....

At one point there were some Bears round about me literally screaming at Windass for being a "lazy basturt" when the Hibs right winger had acres of space and Windass made zero effort to get back to help the defence...... What every single one of those fans missed was that Windass actually started tracking back to assist and Pedro was yelling at him to NOT track back. Pedro wanted Windass to "cheat" by staying up front along with Morelos or Herrera. We were down 3-1 at the time and Pedro's attitude was of keeping two up front as we were chasing the game.

So all those saying he was lazy... he wasn't. He was looking to do his job but the manager demanded he actually carried out a different job.

I think Windass has the potential to turn into a fine player for us - just needs to make better decisions at times but he is direct & pacy.

I spotted that too Craig. I was just about to shout that Windass wasn't tracking back and saw Pedro motion him to stay where he was.

Tomorrow is massive even this early in the season. That first old firm game needs to be relevant in regards to the title. I know they're always relevant but it needs to matter where the three points end up or we'll have failed again this season.

For me he'll start Windass and Miller. Windass should be helped with the return of Wallace who offers more on the left than Hodson. He started well last week but not many played well when we went down to 10 so we can't just blame Windass. I also like the idea of knowing a first 11 and having guys having to do well to get into the team rather than getting their chance by players being dropped.

I expect a high tempo from the off again hopefully with a little bit more composure. I'm gonna go for 3-1 with Morelos getting a couple. Though I'll take 1-0 with a Collum og as way of apology for last week

One option that we could consider is bringing in Kranjcar for Miller - not as a direct replacement but what we COULD do is push Windass into Miller's position (up top beside Morelos) and have Niko playing on the left where Windass was playing. This would be that assymetrical shape we were talking about the other week. This way you get the pace and ingenuity from Windass (as replacement to Miller) and Niko gives you the craft and guile needed.

All that said I personally wouldn't change the team from last week, bar Wallace coming back in to replace Hodson. Until the sending off I felt we were far superior to Hibs, and I think Hibs are superior to Hearts - so, effectively, same again please - high tempo, high pressure from the off and Hearts wont be able to live with us.

Yes mate thats pretty much what I was suggesting. Playing a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 with Kranjcar coming in then moving Windass into the free role position. Windass seems good when he has the ball at feet but the tactical side of things seems to elude him.

Im a huge Miller fan over the years but perhaps its time to using him sparingly.