[FT] Partick Thistle 2 - 2 Rangers (Morelos 19; Dorrans 77)

You would wish people would stop putting every game every week under the microscope. Else you - as we can see again - end up swinging from one polar opinion to the opposite.

Anyone with his or her eyes open would have noted that Firhill is a tough venue to get points, always has been. The Scum won there only because Thistle having a stonewall-penalty (which they would have needed to score, but anyway) denied. Just look at the rest of Thistle's results. Other teams will struggle there too.

Which is not saying that we should have done better playing-wise on our part. We are sure working on it, yet each week we face a different opponent and quite a few still have to adapt to the game here. Peope demand answers on why people are seemingly unfit et al, but what do they actually want? All interna of the club being splashed out in the media? Every single knock or injury explained? When in your life as a supporter did that happen? Ask yourself the same question as in August: when do you expect the team running at full throttle, everything clicking. Perhaps that would lessen the anguish about this or that bad result or performance to a normal level. Its not like we haven't seen this before in decades gone by.

Edited by der Berliner

Celtc and aberdeen have won there i think. Struggling to win would be ok. Not winning isnt.

Yep. But one can also debate a draw with a certain objectivity.

BTW, the Scotsman wants to get Windass into trouble, claiming he made a "graphic gesture" at the Thistle fans. ...

Rangers’ Josh Windass makes graphic gesture to Partick Thistle fans

CRAIG FOWLER

Published: 22:50 Friday 15 September 2017

Rangers winger Josh Windass could find himself in trouble with the SFA after making an offensive gesture to Partick Thistle fans.

• Warning: Video contains a graphic gesture some viewers may find offensive

The Englishman made the hand sign after being frustrated at the home support refusing to give the ball back during the 2-2 draw at Firhill.

He could be handed a suspension if the incident is deemed a punishable offence by the SFA compliance officer.

Rangers missed the chance to go top after failing to build on Alfredo Morelos’ early goal. Strikes from Blair Spittal and Chris Erskine turned the game on its head in 15 second half minutes before the later was shown a straight red card. Graham Dorrans salvaged a draw for the visitors.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/rangers/rangers-josh-windass-makes-graphic-gesture-to-partick-thistle-fans-1-4561732

I'm not that graphical-gesture - literate, but what sort of gesture would that be? As Lennon's set a precedent, we can fully expect that nothing will come of it. NO laughing at the back!!!

I'm disappointed. We were very comfortable for long spells, but couldn't make it count. As someone on Twitter said: it's not major structural problems, it's complacency and profligacy more than anything else.

Alves and Cardoso fail to deal with a bouncing ball, concede a free-kick that the wall fails to stand up to; silly mistake. Then Tavernier fails to push up beyond his CBs to play off-side for the second, and then he and another (can't recall whom) fail to mark the runners at the back post; more complacency than anything else.

I thought John was a tad suspect defensively, giving the ball away etc., but looked OK going forward; but it was his first game.

Herrera did OK when he came on; movement was good etc. I'm not sure I want him and Morelos, though; they both want to play the same zone. As bad as he's been, I think Miller is an acceptable option for now. Maybe Windass could play as a second-striker, but then we'd need a replacement for LM - Kranjcar was missed tonight.

Pena was good! He showed a good burst of pace which I was surprised by, to go along with good movement and eye for goal; he'll be a good player for us. He did have a chance to play in someone on a break which he attempted but didn't get enough on the pass.

I'm disappointed, but in a way that's quite pleasing because it's been a while since we've dominated games, both in terms of possession and physicality. We should have won that game, but we need to come out second half stronger -- I can't recall if Partick changed it, which wouldn't surprise me as Archibald is a good manager -- and cut out those stupid mistakes.

Frustrated as hell with our display last night, first half we flattered to deceive, plenty of possession but little to show for it. I think the Morelos goal was the only shot on target that half. Second half the Jags were by far the better side, very aggressive, which the ref was very lenient with, there should have been two, possible three red cards, Morelos was given a real battering. Jack nearly had a leg break, Wallace kicked out the game.

Morelos is clearly the battering ram for us, however if he is the battering ram where is the follow up troops to exploit the gap? He can't do it all up front on his own, he needs a partner to feed off and someone to feed off the ball he is scrapping manfully to win, Millar is playing to deep to be that partner, Pena needs time.

Overall we are showing some good football but lack that killer touch, and over reliance on Morelos. Without taking anything away from a battling Jags performance, we should have won that last night with the possession we had, especially with them going down to 10 men, the fact we didn't is a wee concern

Edited by aweebluesoandso

I'm in the undecided camp re Alves? I mentioned in a preview this league dosnt have much to trouble him. He will have his work cut out next week though? He is slow at times and gave away a needless free kick for the equaliser.

Don't get me wrong, they are an improvement but we will find out their metal shortly?