Rangers v Thistle - The Never Ending Journey

Just goes to prove the old saying about statistics.

In football, statistics are a good talking point, but the eyes dont lie, and that guy is not a top level football player, not in a million "radars".

That's patently untrue.

Is his mum Scottish?

I mistakenly thought that his father was Scottish (because he played for Aberdeen) or had a Scottish parent... my bad.

Looked it up and his mother is from Hull, no idea where her parents are from but the odds are against being Scottish.

Statistics are never the full story, each stat tells one part of it, but can remove a lot of subjectivity.

For instance, you might think a guy looks slow, maybe because of his running style, but the sprinting stats might show him to be one of the fastest.

I think at games there is no chance for watching and registering everything that all 11 of your team's players do. And I think a lot of assessments are a bit of a tally of good things and bad things a player subjectively is *seen* to do in a game. We miss a lot, we have a lot of confirmation bias and our memories are not perfect...

Stats are a good way to reassess aspects of a players game and maybe you will see it tally up next time, when you will be more knowledgeable about what to look for.

Confirmation bias is definitely at play with Windass Cal.

The only game I got to this season was the 3-2 debacle at home to Hibs. At one point in the second half Windass was wide left, we were out of possession - Hibs player pings a ball (their) wide right leaving Wallace to contend with the winger himself. Cue howls around me of "Windass you lazy bastard"..... not one of those same indignant fans even glanced down to the touchline to witness Pedro remonstrating with Windass to NOT track back. Windass had already started tracking back when Pedro was howling at him to stay high and offer support to the forward.

I almost guarantee those same folks left the game and spent days talking about how Windass was a lazy bastard. None of which was true in that particular instance.

Just goes to prove the old saying about statistics.

In football, statistics are a good talking point, but the eyes dont lie, and that guy is not a top level football player, not in a million "radars".

"There are eyes, damned eyes, and statistics".

Edited by Uilleam

That's patently untrue.

I will trust watching a player live 20 times to make an assessment before I will believe Youtube clips and radar stats. Perhaps the FIFA game-playing generation want to believe stats are everything, its not for me and in no way beats watching a player live in the ground, seeing what they do on and off the ball, how they make decisions, how they read the game, how they react to situations. None of those things are covered in stats, but they give you a far better idea of a players worth to the team than watching on tv, or reviewing their stats alone.