The January Transfer Window Rumours and Deals Thread

Now, I can't exactly give you the source right now, since I read it elsewhere some time ago, but AFAIK Wilson's wife is an US-lass, who gave birth to their son three years ago. It might (sic!) well be that now - nearing pre-school age - the wife wants back to the US of A.

Maybe some details come out on this when it happens, so perhaps we refrain from all the negative speculation for the time being?

Edited by der Berliner

3 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Now, I can't exactly give you the source right now, since I read it elsewhere some time ago, but AFAIK Wilson's wife is an US-lass, who gave birth to their son three years ago. It might (sic!) well be that now - nearing pre-school age - the wife wants back to the US of A.

Maybe some details come out on this when it happens, so perhaps we refrain from all the negative speculation for the time being?

So if he got the wages he was demanding they wouldn't have wanted to go to USA? 

To be brutally honest, it's none of our business what personal priorities a player sets for himself and his family, whether it's money, location or whatever.

Lack of ambition? Get real.

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

To be brutally honest, it's none of our business what personal priorities a player sets for himself and his family, whether it's money, location or whatever.

Lack of ambition? Get real.

You're right, however we are all entitled to an opinion! 

not sure how putting ones family first has anything to do with lack of ambition. If your ambition is seeing your family lose out then your self centered.

If i had an american wife and had kids with her i would take a job in america over Scotland any day of the week. Hes never going to be a superstar, its not like hes giving up on champions league finals etc

Playing near amateur level football in a pretty poor country to live in nowadays, I doubt is the height of his ambition or worth seeing his family miss out on a better life for.

Good luck to the boy

29 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Going to the US at 26 does show a lack of ambition. 

I don’t think it does.  He may have ambitions outside of football and sees those ambitions happening in the US, not here.

Just take Beckham for example, did he lack ambition by going to LA ?  There was an ulterior motive to his move there.

A football career is a fairly short one and Wilson may be looking beyond just his football career.

Further, it may be that as a family they want to move.  Dictate to a female spouse at your peril.

13 minutes ago, craig said:

I don’t think it does.  He may have ambitions outside of football and sees those ambitions happening in the US, not here.

Just take Beckham for example, did he lack ambition by going to LA ?  There was an ulterior motive to his move there.

A football career is a fairly short one and Wilson may be looking beyond just his football career.

Further, it may be that as a family they want to move.  Dictate to a female spouse at your peril.

Beckham was 30+ when he went to the US; his career was finished at the elite level. 

Players regularly look to the future -- they can do most of it anywhere -- but not at the cost of their playing career -- unless they're sh*te.  

Bowing to the will of one's spouse -- as peaceful as it may be -- does not preclude a lack of ambition. 

He can play for 5+ more years with us, winning trophies, playing in Europe, playing internationally.