The January Transfer Window Rumours and Deals Thread

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Beckham was 30+ when he went to the US; his career was finished at the elite level. 

Players regularly look to the future -- they can do most of it anywhere -- but not at the cost of their playing career -- unless they're sh*te.  

Bowing to the will of one's spouse -- as peaceful as it may be -- does not preclude a lack of ambition. 

He can play for 5+ more years with us, winning trophies, playing in Europe, playing internationally. 

I take it you aren’t married.

it isn’t bowing to the will of one’s spouse if both have a desire to go there.  You are making the supposition that it is only his wife that wants to move to the US.  We don’t know that to be the case.

He maybe could play 5+ more years with us, win trophies, play in Europe and internationally. He also could stay with us for 5+ more years, become a peripheral figure in the squad, win zero trophies, never play in Europe and never get a cap again for Scotland.

i find it mildly amusing that 3 months ago many of us wanted rid of Wilson because he was shite.... and now moan because he is looking to leave and claim he has a lack of ambition.

33 minutes ago, craig said:

I take it you aren’t married.

it isn’t bowing to the will of one’s spouse if both have a desire to go there.  You are making the supposition that it is only his wife that wants to move to the US.  We don’t know that to be the case.

He maybe could play 5+ more years with us, win trophies, play in Europe and internationally. He also could stay with us for 5+ more years, become a peripheral figure in the squad, win zero trophies, never play in Europe and never get a cap again for Scotland.

i find it mildly amusing that 3 months ago many of us wanted rid of Wilson because he was shite.... and now moan because he is looking to leave and claim he has a lack of ambition.

You brought up the spouse; It's unambitious either way. (And, no; I'm not. :D)

He could fade into obscurity, but the possibility is there; it vanishes altogether IMO if he packs his bags.

I never wanted rid of Wilson; I've argued a lot over the past few days that I'd like to keep him; I think he's a good defender, that can play internationally because I don't think there are many better in Scotland. 

If there are personal reasons then I'll revise my position when they are made clear, but until then, I'll base it on a strictly footballing position; and, for me, moving to the US, shows a lack of ambition.

I WILL NOT BE MOVED!

giphy.gif

There's a valid opinion that staying in a rain sodden, bitter, divided midden like Scotland and playing football in a shite league that will soon be all but excluded from top European football, while putting up with atrocious refereeing, is showing a lack of ambition.

Yeah, I'm not sure leaving the SPFL for the MLS can be described as showing a lack of ambition these days, indeed arguably it's the opposite. 

Wilson showed ambition when he left us for Liverpool, it didn't work out. Maybe he's realistic about what he can achieve in his career and playing abroad might be one of his ambitions. 

It's frustrating he's going but he can be replaced, indeed he already has been. Good luck to him. 

12 hours ago, ian1964 said:

So if he got the wages he was demanding they wouldn't have wanted to go to USA? 

Again, how do we know how "much" he "demanded"? And whether we actually offered him a "good" deal?

https://www.rangersobserver.com/views/2018/1/27/danny-wilsons-never-ending-journey-to-mediocrity-turns-to-mls

Likewise, the above Rangers Observer article is similarly ill advised. Unless, of course, these chaps know more than we do. Given how it is written, the latter seems unlikely to me. Quite unnecessary, IMHO.

Edited by der Berliner

8 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Again, how do we know how "much" he "demanded"? And whether we actually offered him a "good" deal?

https://www.rangersobserver.com/views/2018/1/27/danny-wilsons-never-ending-journey-to-mediocrity-turns-to-mls

Likewise, the above Rangers Observer article is similarly ill advised. Unless, of course, these chaps know more than we do. Given how it is written, the latter seems unlikely to me. Quite unnecessary, IMHO.

You, like me, have no idea what happened, which makes your claims null and void, as it is with me!. You would be best sticking to facts before defending him, we are only commenting on information we hear/read, the same information you have!

10 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Beckham was 30+ when he went to the US; his career was finished at the elite level. 

Players regularly look to the future -- they can do most of it anywhere -- but not at the cost of their playing career -- unless they're sh*te.  

Bowing to the will of one's spouse -- as peaceful as it may be -- does not preclude a lack of ambition. 

He can play for 5+ more years with us, winning trophies, playing in Europe, playing internationally. 

Beckham may have not been elite but he never was.  He was always a top player and was still a top player when he went to Galaxy.  He played regularly for Milan and PSG in his loan spells. 

I certainly don't think he was finished.

1 minute ago, ian1964 said:

You, like me, have no idea what happened, which makes your claims null and void, as it is with me!. You would be best sticking to facts before defending him, we are only commenting on information we hear/read, the same information you have!

I made no claims, I specifically asked:

Maybe some details come out on this when it happens, so perhaps we refrain from all the negative speculation for the time being?

Why throw shyte his way when we don't know any facts? Because we don't like him? That would be rather poor, wouldn't it? You have all the time in the world to slate him if he goes for money and whatnot ... but why would one want to look like a bampot (like that TRO chap) if he moves because of rather different and rather human reasons?