Is The Billy Boys Song Banned?

Surely nobody believes singing the Billy boys is a part of the Rangers Heritage. It is a good anthem and it does get the crowd going and I personally like hearing it but to say it is a part of our heritage is pushing the boat out a little. Get rid of the fenian blood and it can be sung again without fear of arrest. Whether rightly or wrongly.

6 minutes ago, pete said:

Surely nobody believes singing the Billy boys is a part of the Rangers Heritage. It is a good anthem and it does get the crowd going and I personally like hearing it but to say it is a part of our heritage is pushing the boat out a little. Get rid of the fenian blood and it can be sung again without fear of arrest. Whether rightly or wrongly.

One way to improve the country, some might say....

5 hours ago, der Berliner said:

That last bit gives you the idea that we are some sort of branch of the Freemasons or the like, the footballing arm of the Orange Order and last bastion of the Protestant faith in Scotland.

Of course you're entitled to raise the question of religion but I'd like to point out that I didn't. Not everyone immediately reaches for the bible when considering our football club. Cheers.

3 hours ago, pete said:

What does heritage mean? I found this ... although there are any number of definition available, they all more or less say the same thing.

"Cultural Heritage is an expression of the ways of living developed by a community and passed on from generation to generation, including customs, practices, places, objects, artistic expressions and values.

It seems reasonable to include traditional songs in this, particularly ones that have been sung by Rangers fans over decades. Individual fans can decide for themselves whether they like various aspect of our heritage but denying TBB is part of our heritage is simply wrong. 

It's true that nothing beats "Hullo Hullo" being belted out by 40k fans.  What is also true is that football authorities at home & abroad believe it to be unacceptable to sing.

That being the case, why not just change the words - remove the parts that the authorities deem to be offensive.  If nothing "offensive" is being sung, folk can try & complain, but ultimately there is nothing to complain about.....

Remove any religious connotations & make it about The Club....

4 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

There are no religious connotations.  Wolfe Tone was a prominent Fenian but not an RC. 

but the modern/current association of the term is on a religious basis.  So, rather than wasting time & effort trying to convince the authorities etc of it's potentially proper meaning.....just remove it altogether.  If it's not there, there is no need to debate it's origins or meaning.

What significance does that particular word/phrase have to the players on the park???  Are they going to feel less inspired if it is changed to something else???

I think it is time for some to realise that certain battles are just not worth fighting....its time for the lyrics to be updated to something that is more relevant to the team & less divisive across supporters.

26 minutes ago, Darthter said:

but the modern/current association of the term is on a religious basis.  So, rather than wasting time & effort trying to convince the authorities etc of it's potentially proper meaning.....just remove it altogether.  If it's not there, there is no need to debate it's origins or meaning.

What significance does that particular word/phrase have to the players on the park???  Are they going to feel less inspired if it is changed to something else???

I think it is time for some to realise that certain battles are just not worth fighting....its time for the lyrics to be updated to something that is more relevant to the team & less divisive across supporters.

By who’s definition though? If we changed the word from Fenian to Wankers, what’s to stop the definition of Wankers being changed to Catholic, as has happened with Fenian?