Pacific Quay Musings?

2 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Cheers. It would be interesting to see if we could tender for our own radio rights at the end of the current contract. 

No we can't. We are restricted to following the flock if we want a permit.

13 hours ago, pete said:

As for why some feel dependent on the BBC. Some can only have a radio at work. Many older people are not computer savy enough to get streams. Not everyone can afford 17.50(?) a month plus the price of a VPN. And many just like to listen to the commentary. My sister always listened to the commentaries while working in the Kitchen. Plus we should have the choice but the BBC are taking that away from Rangers supporters

So match commentary then, yes?

8 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Thing here is, no matter the feeling of the SPFL or SFA towards us, the BBC denies the reporters of the opposition the commentary as well ... and on their own decision.

Have you ever, even once, heard fans of other clubs complaining? Most of them know exactly what’s going on and are delighted to go along with it.

6 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

So match commentary then, yes?

Yes match commentary and some like the bullshit built about it. I liked listening to the beeb football shows when I thought they were unbiased. They have a good format of serious and funny and football it is just a shame they have built up a bias against Rangers. I enjoy a Dutch football TV programme on a Monday evening that is about the weekends football in a serious/humorous way. A lot of it is bullshit but it has a large audience and also some hate it because of the outspoken meanings the pundits sometimes give. They don't hold back on criticism of anyone if they see it needed.

45 minutes ago, Bill said:

Have you ever, even once, heard fans of other clubs complaining? Most of them know exactly what’s going on and are delighted to go along with it.

While true, this does not essentially take any responsibility from the BBC to inform them.

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

While true, this does not essentially take any responsibility from the BBC to inform them.

I don't understand why you're still stuck in the "the BBC has a responsibility and isn't fulfilling it" mentality. We all know that, we've known it for years, we've said it for years and continually stating the bleeding obvious isn't going to change anything. Only the BBC can change the current situation and it neither wants to nor intends to.

Instead of wailing in fantasy land about injustice and moral obligation, it's time to accept that the present situation was carefully and deliberately orchestrated and is here to stay. Face it, suck it up, live with it. Fight the battles you can win and stop wringing your hands about something neither you nor the club can do anything about.

It is what it is. So what if some people can't figure out how the get round the lack of radio reporting? There are winners and losers at every turn in life. Most of us have made other arrangements to stay informed about Rangers and I'm sure most of those who so far refuse to do so won't die as a result. Personally, I think life is better without the BBC coverage and nothing would persuade me to listen to them again anyway. In the words of the prophet, fuck them and move on.

Edited by Bill

On 26/10/2018 at 18:10, 26th of foot said:

Revisionism ain't what it used to be.

It's a European night of football, two Scottish clubs are involved, one received nearly four and a half hours of coverage, the other gets a dozen lines amounting to five minutes. It is a Pacific Quay production. Sellik got beat, in performance terms they got beat bad. There is no mention of Sellik carrying the Scottish standard, there is no talk of the co-efficient, and the only comfort lies under a twenty tog rated quilt of revisionism. Snuggling under last evening was Big Dick presenting, joined in the studio by Tom English. In Leipzig, the continental warmth was shared by Liam McLeod commentating and Pat Bonner roaring on ra Sellik. Wullie Miller took it in turns to spoon with both. The BBC Scotland quilt reaches East Germany, but not Ibrox. Rangers and Rangers supporters are out in the cold, Meager heat is generated from Steven Thomson sat atop the Naughty Step watching the TV. Each of his four updates on the Rangers/Spartak game, was treated by his colleagues as if he had farted under the quilt.

From 17.30hrs until 22.00hrs, the mixture of Dandy Dons and Yahoos chorused revisionism. Sellik were playing their second string, wracked with injuries, and how do you fill a hole left by Broonaldo? Empathy echoed from the Dandies, they played Burnley under similar circumstances?  

PQ content (total coverage in minutes) divided by 2018/19 co-eff. points........would be a thin spread for the Dandy Dons and Yahoos.

On the other hand.........

Cup qW qD qL #W #D #L Bonus Points Average
6 dn
Scotland 4 teams
  11 10 3 2 2 2 0 22.0 5.500
9 Glasgow Rangers EL 4 4 0 1 2 0 0 10.0 not out
28 Celtic EL 4 3 1 1 0 2 0 7.5 not out
80 Hibernian EL 3 2 1 0 0 0 0 4.0  
186 Aberdeen EL 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0.5  

On Saturday, Off the Ball had, 'Adam Old Firm Facts' on as a guest after the completion of the day's play. He has been the show's guest before, the Producer allows folks with dodgy monikors on, only if they are specifically on message. It reminds Rangers supporters of DrStu' interviewing, 'Gordon the Jambo from Glasgow' after a Championship fixture which Hearts won 2-0. Gordon the Jambo from Glasgow or the show's Producer who could not be trusted to do an Edinburgh accent, telephoned the studio to provide insight into that day's game. Well, he talked about songs sung and the hypocrisy of Super Sally. DrStu' is a graduate in Drama, and Gordon's contribution sounded well scripted.

Adam Miller or, 'Adam Old Firm Facts' had read the approved script too. In a discussion about mispronunciation, DrStu' stuck it on Gordon Ramsay for the umteenth time, McCoist got it for variations on Morelos, and Adam delivered the well rehearsed coup de grace, "on social media most people pronounce Rangers as Sevco". In the week where PQ apologises for presenting a picture of Aberdeen supporters holding a banner depicting Graham Shinnie holding aloft the decapitated head of Ryan Jack, Adam Old Firm Facts provides the depth of sincerity to the apology.

Sunday was partizan. The Murrayfield game had Pat Bonner, Tom English, and Peter Houston in ra green'n'grey corner. Alan Preston was marooned on an ocean of Sellik sentiment. Al Lamont provided commentary. At Hampden, it was Big Dick, Wullie Miller, and Liam McLeod pushing against the open door that is Billy (I no longer consider myself to be a Rangers supporter)Dodds and his EBT.Big Dick was cockahoop over the Dandies victory, and citing McGregor's throwing an elbow at Gary McKay-Steven for Compliance Officer consideration was just an added bonus.

It was a good few hours for PQ, but we knew that when Big Dick began, "from an Aberdeen point of view ........".   

I genuinely struggle to comprehend how you can listen to/tolerate these broadcasts, 26th of foot.  

I heard about 3 seconds of Dick Gordon's voice on the bus, after the match, before I shouted at the driver to turn it off (I wasn't alone in doing so).

I could sense the joy in the few words I did hear and it resembled an Aberdeen fan show, rather than that of a national, publicly funded, broadcaster.