Pacific Quay Musings?

Sportsound podcast lasted nearly 52 minutes

Celtic and their match took up nearly 44 minutes of that with us beng shoe horned into what was left.

I get that interviews with the manager and a couple of players will mean the time allocation that Celtic are given will be greater than ours but even taking that into account, the disparity can't even nearly be justified.

A quick update on last night's PQ administrations.

Paul Mitchell(Jambo) and Steven Thompson(EBT toting St Boo fan) were in a PQ cupboard providing 'live' commentary of Villarreal vs Rangers.

Big Dick, Liam McLeod, Wullie Miller, Tom English, Michael Stewart, and Paddy Bonner were all at Sellik Park. At half time and full time of our game, the only discussion was ra Sellik. Big Dick provided our score in Spain with details of scorers, whilst doing a run down on other Europa Cup results. At culmination of events at Parkhead, they spent twenty minutes discussing the merits of Leigh Griffiths, there was NO summing up of our game. Both Chris McLaughlin and Scott McDonald were at Sellik Park too, they were in hospitality.

Now, if PQ dispatch the usual crew to Salzburg in a fortnight to cover the green'n'grey hooped horrors, and provide commentary of Rangers vs Vienna from the PQ cupboard; then we have got them NOT providing a similar service to all license fee paying supporters. Why they did not travel to Spain is a most legitimate question?

14 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

A quick update on last night's PQ administrations.

Paul Mitchell(Jambo) and Steven Thompson(EBT toting St Boo fan) were in a PQ cupboard providing 'live' commentary of Villarreal vs Rangers.

Big Dick, Liam McLeod, Wullie Miller, Tom English, Michael Stewart, and Paddy Bonner were all at Sellik Park. At half time and full time of our game, the only discussion was ra Sellik. Big Dick provided our score in Spain with details of scorers, whilst doing a run down on other Europa Cup results. At culmination of events at Parkhead, they spent twenty minutes discussing the merits of Leigh Griffiths, there was NO summing up of our game. Both Chris McLaughlin and Scott McDonald were at Sellik Park too, they were in hospitality.

Now, if PQ dispatch the usual crew to Salzburg in a fortnight to cover the green'n'grey hooped horrors, and provide commentary of Rangers vs Vienna from the PQ cupboard; then we have got them NOT providing a similar service to all license fee paying supporters. Why they did not travel to Spain is a most legitimate question?

They are friggin shameless. The overall narrative regarding our game was to focus on our shortcomings. Let's not dwell on the fact that a team from Scotland got a credible draw against a team that finished 5th in La Liga (by far the most successful league in European football over the last decade). No no, let's talk about how we should have got hammered. How Villareal had players missing blah blah f*cking blah

I could join the crowd and pretend to be incredulous about the bias and corruption of PQ but somehow I can't bring myself to waste the time and effort involved.

They are what they are, they've been that way for a very long time now and nothing is going to change in a hurry, certainly not as a result of anything Rangers or its support does or says.

I enjoy reading about their antics on this topic but the idea of ever actually listening to BBC Scotland sports coverage would never enter my mind these days. So, on balance, I think it's best just to laugh and look away (OK sneer and look away). There's no way I could bring myself to get anything as interested as to be annoyed any more. 

My bottom line is I don't need them and I sure as hell don't want them. In terms of sports reporting, BBC Scotland no longer exists in my world. I get almost everything from RTV, the Rangers website, Rangers social media and some external online sources. The one thing that IS missing for me is a live Rangers radio service, covering matches (the RTV commentary could easily be adapted), post match analysis and providing wider news about the club and its worldwide support.

Edited by Bill

Thing is that journalists (and I am sure your everyday BBC reporter is amongst the frontliners here) demand freedom of journalism and information, want to be everywhere, know everything and report this to the world. Which is all fine and well ... unless people get ideas. I have met dozens of journalists who have developed some sort of egalitarian idea of themselves, as usually everyone bows to their wishes. After all, a journo carries quite a bit of power, as a word or two of him in a report or broadcast can instantly ruin a life or job for someone who crossed him. So they indeed get ideas how the world shall function.

And with BBC Scotland in general and Scrote and some more chosen few in particular, you see a stereotypical example of that. People working their agenda, sometomes openly, sometimes less so. And the BBC Scotland HQ et al - as is typical behaviour amongst this caste - closes ranks rather than question the journalists' actions themselves.

These journalists forget the other side of their job though, the part about responsibility. The responsibility to report on things AS THEY ARE ... and in case of discrepancies they are required to question the info they get. What is even more heinous here is that these are publicly funded reporters and a publicly funded institution that does not deliver to their customers. Which is an even greater incentive for any Bear to take them to task and report them to e.g. Ofcom or the BBC HQ.

Edited by der Berliner

32 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Thing is that journalists (and I am sure your everyday BBC reporter is amongst the frontliners here) demand freedom of journalism and information, want to be everywhere, know everything and report this to the world. Which is all fine and well ... unless people get ideas. I have met dozens of journalists who have developed some sort of egalitarian idea of themselves, as usually everyone bows to their wishes. After all, a journo carries quite a bit of power, as a word or two of him in a report or broadcast can instantly ruin a life or job for someone who crossed him. So they indeed get ideas how the world shall function.

One of my sons is a reporter for a daily newspaper and his views would dispute yours. Reporters are under constant pressure to prepare reports that make it past the editors and into print. Unless your name appears under headlines on a regular basis then your position is under threat. The power rests with the editors and they use it to ensure compliance with whatever views are adopted by the paper. Generally speaking, there is no journalistic freedom and whatever their personal opinions, reporters who still want to be reporters next week will write whatever they believe to be the views of their editors. So when attacking reporters for writing bollocks about Rangers, all you're doing is ensuring attention is kept away from those who actually decide what appears on the page.

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

One of my sons is a reporter for a daily newspaper and his views would dispute yours. Reporters are under constant pressure to prepare reports that make it past the editors and into print. Unless your name appears under headlines on a regular basis then your position is under threat. The power rests with the editors and they use it to ensure compliance with whatever views are adopted by the paper. Generally speaking, there is no journalistic freedom and whatever their personal opinions, reporters who still want to be reporters next week will write whatever they believe to be the views of their editors. So when attacking reporters for writing bollocks about Rangers, all you're doing is ensuring attention is kept away from those who actually decide what appears on the page.

Not exactly ... in saying that Scrote can say and write what he likes I also pointed at those who allow/-ed him to do it.  Those who close ranks when questioned and point at the "integrity" of the BBC as a whole. Only that they shamelessly exploit said integrity for their agenda ... or, if you want, bias. And that cabal at BBC Scotland Sport is rather entrenched.

Interestingly enough, since you pointed it out, certain articles on us, not least when it came to the new club stuff and the constant "liquidated club" slurs where, after a handslap aimed at Scrote by the now defunct BBC Trust, written "By BBC staff" et al, rather than a specific author.

More generally, I wouldn't say the above about all and every reporter / journalist, as it is a widespread field. But over the last couple of decades I came across many of them - mainly at sport events - who fall into that category.