Pacific Quay Musings?

If the BBC was privately owned, I'd say it was entitled to be as biased against Rangers as its owner wanted it to be. But it's not privately owned. Its snout is deep in the public trough and that makes its behaviour towards Rangers completely unacceptable.

There can be no question whatsoever of Rangers admitting any fault in the current relationship, which is entirely of the BBC's own making, or of offering any olive branches. Frankly, we don't need the BBC and when the trophies are being welcomed back to Ibrox by 50000 Rangers fans, I hope Big Dick and the rest will still be broadcasting about Hamilton's late win at Aberdeen. BBC Scotland sports coverage is as petty and parochial as the product it relies on.

Imagine the BBC coming with a grovellng apology tomorrow.  Will we all be tuning in? What’s to hear? Stewart, Thomson, Preston, Bonner, Macdonald, Dodds, Ferguson, english and mclaughlin? Bias aside, has anyone heard any one of that crew saying anything at all insightful or even plain knowledgeable? 

Back in the day Willie Miller used to say one or two things about defending technique in a grumpy and parochial manner but nonetheless worth hearing.

But Dodds? “Rangers are forcing Dunfermline into unforced errors”. Can’t say I’m missing analysis like that.

14 hours ago, JohnMc said:

We're in a strange period just now, one I think will be studied by future historians. The demise of the written press in much of the Western world has created a vacuum that's not been adequately filled in my view. There has never been a better time for politicians or powerful entities and individuals to to do harm, because there are few organisations powerful enough to bring them to book. When I was born there were two daily evening papers in Glasgow, as well as the plethora of morning ones. This ensured councillors were scrutinised, decisions reported, individuals held to account. Not today, The Evening Times now barely functions as a newspaper, the Herald isn't much better. Nobody is watching closely at the City Chambers. That's the case across towns and cities the length of the country. 

Bloggers and websites haven't filled this void adequately. Very little 'reporting' is actually done online, few can afford to put the resources and time required. That's not changing anytime soon either. 

Which is why I'm reluctant to criticise the BBC when they do some things right and very keen to point out when I feel they are falling below their remit. We currently need them more than ever. We need an independent, powerful, credible media, both locally and nationally. Our club was almost destroyed in full view of everyone. Sir David Murray's words were accepted without scrutiny by too many in the media for fear of falling out with him (his only dissenting voices were from Rangers supporters) and Craig Whyte was likewise allowed to buy our club without real media scrutiny. By the time he was scrutinised it was too late. 

I was speaking to a friend last night who told me that the BBC have in fact very recently appointed around a dozen 'Local Government' reporters with the remit to monitor and report on political and social happenings on a local level. So I stand corrected. Just the local sport guys to criticise then. 

11 hours ago, Walterbear said:

Apart from one thing John. The decision was made at the top of the shop in the organisation in Scotland not by a department. 

What makes you think that WB? MacKinnon didn't take up the role until late 2016 yet but BBC Scotland have been boycotting Ibrox since January of that year. Everyone I speak to says it's a Sport department decision and is being left to them. 

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

What makes you think that WB? MacKinnon didn't take up the role until late 2016 yet but BBC Scotland have been boycotting Ibrox since January of that year. Everyone I speak to says it's a Sport department decision and is being left to them. 

Personal John. Scotland is a small place. Need to leave it at that I’m afraid so won’t comment further.  I also know 2 serious attempts were made at resolution from same person thru an ex director at the club but the problem now is what was a principled journalistic warning shot across the bow has been seized upon by lower order more visible people at BBC (the sort referred to in the podcast) who have had an agenda against Rangers pre EBT and post EBT and it has snowballed into something that I doubt Mackinnon can/will resolve. There is no shortage of folk there who quite frankly think we are ‘Orange barstewards’.   

My personal view is ‘Hell mend them’ but then I’m not a licence paying pensioner or digitally excluded person who only has the radio and council telly. Any resolution that is sought must insist not only on the BBC Trust ruling being respected but the BBC to show more fair minded journalism and to employ more fair minded pundits. The rot is set deep. We know who the haters are and we know they are being led.  Only external resolution and a change in culture will fix this to any degree of normality and any concession from BBC Scotland will be superficial 

Put it this way , even when we get 55, unless peace is made the jibes from the low order pundits will not stop. They may intensify and the narrative from the likes of Miller , Gordon and Spence are only going to go along the lines of ‘they won this one without EBTs’, ‘is this Rangers first league title’, ‘look at Rangers budget’ , ‘where did they get the money’, ‘FFP’ etc.

Without a major change they will continue to marginalise us in all the variety of ways that are well documented even down to childish stuff like the Morelos ‘offside’ goal at Killie. 

For example my guess is there is a lot of support in the BBC for the stance of Chairman Reid (and it must have been him) in wanting Rangers to be offered no assistance. Any other country and that would be much bigger news and the broadcaster would run at least one major show on the self harm in Scottish football and the lack of sportsmanship and interest in the development of our game. They would question the sporting integrity of that club from Japan tours to their attempt to influence officials to be prejudiced. Throw in the referees strike and it becomes a rancid putrid stew of sporting disintegrity involving Celtic.  A club like no other that’s for sure. 

I haven’t looked at BBC sport today but I’ll guess the chairman of Celtic wanting to damage Rangers chances in Europe out of pure hatred does not get a mention of any real note.  Imagine the roles were reversed. I don’t think they are capable of balance and that’s why I would rather they were open with their bias and hatred and shown up for what they are. 

Edited by Walterbear

1 hour ago, buster. said:

Their news department certainly carry negative Rangers stories (non sporting) very prominently.

Their economic/financial editor (Fraser) has become very sharp tongued when speaking about the club and it's officers.

Careful Buster, you're in danger of descending into 'groupthink' there. ;)

Edited by Soulsonic5791