Rangers (Murphy; Martin) 2 - 0 Hearts

I actually thought Beaton didn't have too bad a game.

Yes, it should have been a penalty but I wasn't 100% sure at the time and can only say that after replays but there was also one up the other end that may have been as well,

4 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I actually thought Beaton didn't have too bad a game.

Yes, it should have been a penalty but I wasn't 100% sure at the time and can only say that after replays but there was also one up the other end that may have been as well,

I wan't sure it was a pen either at the time, however he gave a foul against Morelos!:facepalm:

22 hours ago, Rousseau said:

They could, but they're not the same type of player; they would naturally drift up top, leaving us exposed in the middle.

Also, Cummings doesn't do the running the other two do. Morelos can run, but doesn't have the control or vision. 

Docherty -- and to lesser extent Murphy -- are the only ones I can see as being direct replacements for Windass; and both were on the pitch or had already been subbed (?).

This is just my opinion, of course... :D 

I'd like to see Cummings tested there against a bottom 6 side. His long shots would add a new threat from outside the box.

However Dorrans seems an ideal player to have there when he's back? I guess Dorrans and Docherty could be interchangeable betweem centre mid and attacking centre mid. Dorrans at home and Docherty away maybe when his legs are more useful on the break.

On a different topic, I'm surprised at the number of strikers Murty has on his bench. Miller, Cummings and Herrera. We only have 6 outfield subs, that's half the bench covering one position in our formantion. The other three were Alves, Halliday and Holt. 3 more central players.

For me MOH would offer a different option off the bench. Pace for the closing stages of a game away from home when you're maybe playing on the counter. And even Kranjcar can feel a bit hard done by (though I'm not a big fan). He would also cover a different position and is a different type of player. And I think we should have a policy of having at least one youth player on our bench if possible. Murty is stuck with Herrera and Miller and that's not his fault, but they just seem to get on the bench automatically even though they are not very good options to have imo.

Edited by DMAA

2 hours ago, DMAA said:

I'd like to see Cummings tested there against a bottom 6 side. His long shots would add a new threat from outside the box.

However Dorrans seems an ideal player to have there when he's back? I guess Dorrans and Docherty could be interchangeable betweem centre mid and attacking centre mid. Dorrans at home and Docherty away maybe when his legs are more useful on the break.

On a different topic, I'm surprised at the number of strikers Murty has on his bench. Miller, Cummings and Herrera. We only have 6 outfield subs, that's half the bench covering one position in our formantion. The other three were Alves, Halliday and Holt. 3 more central players.

For me MOH would offer a different option off the bench. Pace for the closing stages of a game away from home when you're maybe playing on the counter. And even Kranjcar can feel a bit hard done by (though I'm not a big fan). He would also cover a different position and is a different type of player. And I think we should have a policy of having at least one youth player on our bench if possible. Murty is stuck with Herrera and Miller and that's not his fault, but they just seem to get on the bench automatically even though they are not very good options to have imo.

Miller, Cummings and Herrera offer differing variations of a forward option.

Miller and Cummings are a given but Herrera is probably there because he can be a 'target man'.

O'Hallaron would seem to be out of favour and/or rightly way behind Murphy/Candeias in the pecking order.

IMHO we now play in such a way and have enough in midfield to discount Kranjcar. Harsh but I don't think he is up to it anymore.

Sorry, I've not read much of this thread, but I just wanted to note a few things and hear your thoughts. 

1. Hearts really thought they'd take points away from Ibrox on Saturday. Are teams still underestimating us?

2. Our bench was strong. Are the days of wholesale changes a thing of the past or might we lose a lot of the loanees and our top players and get the likes of Pena back?

3. I saw the whole game as-live on Sunday morning without knowing the score and it looked like we were all over them. Were they crap or were we good? I thought we were a good 7/10. 

4. Morelos still misses too many chances. 

5 minutes ago, Barebear said:

Sorry, I've not read much of this thread, but I just wanted to note a few things and hear your thoughts. 

1. Hearts really thought they'd take points away from Ibrox on Saturday. Are teams still underestimating us?

2. Our bench was strong. Are the days of wholesale changes a thing of the past or might we lose a lot of the loanees and our top players and get the likes of Pena back?

3. I saw the whole game as-live on Sunday morning without knowing the score and it looked like we were all over them. Were they crap or were we good? I thought we were a good 7/10. 

1. Hearts have had a great defensive record recently and probably thought that they could have hit us on the break as other teams have done this season. Yes, they under-estimated how we played, but given that's probably the best we've played this season, they can't be blamed for that. They did sit too far back and they can certainly be blamed for that.

2. Hopefully we can keep the squad together. and avoid injuries. We will probably rely less on loans but their probably cheaper and given our financial situation, they may not be avoided totally.

3. We were very, very good and didn't allow Hearts to play.

4. Morelos had a very good game and I don't recall any clear cut chances that he missed. There was the header but the cross was just a touch too high and I didn't feel he could be blamed for not scoring.

38 minutes ago, Barebear said:

The likes of Pena may come back & be a different player within a much more settled side.

When he was here, the side was struggling (in general).  The team wasn't a cohesive team, which would make it even more difficult for someone who doesn't speak the language to fit in.  While the language may still be a barrier, the guys in the team are more settled with each other & in a method of play - this may make if easier for any player to slot in.