Your Team v The Scum

2 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

I am thinking Dorrans can be the main support to Morelos, I don't think we can leave Candeias or Murphy out of the team just now! Candeias has given the £30m LB is hardest matches this season and his assists just can't be ignored. Murphy is a player who will look to take players on and can score, both give balance to the team.

Having someone like Candeias on the bench wouldn't be such a bad thing in that even if he doesn't start, he can still play an important part in the game. 

I think we have to prioritise giving protection to the centre-backs and being solid in midfield.

With that you look to keep a clean sheet and build a base from which to work from.

3 minutes ago, buster. said:

Holt has played in the two draws at Parkhead and the SC semi-final in 2016, so he has it in him to do a job and he is one of the few in our squad who know what it is to put Celtic out of the Cup. I think mentality and belief will be important, we need players who genuinely believe we'll go out and win, Miller is one of those types,...and another with experience of beating them many times.

Take off your rose tinted glasses wrt to Docherty. He is a work-in-progress and has a lot of improving to do and experience to gain.

When he develops into a better decision-maker, he'll become more (net) effective.

No matter how much belief Holt has, he still gets out-muscled too easily for this game. Like I said, I like Holt, a lot; he's got good technique, he tries, he brings great energy etc. However, so does Docherty -- perhaps with less technique, but that'll not be needed in this game -- but with that added physique. I don't think it's "rose tinted" to say that. Holt's experience is the only issue. 

Miller over Candeias is mental to me. I'll never agree with that. 

9 minutes ago, buster. said:

Having someone like Candeias on the bench wouldn't be such a bad thing in that even if he doesn't start, he can still play an important part in the game. 

I think we have to prioritise giving protection to the centre-backs and being solid in midfield.

With that you look to keep a clean sheet and build a base from which to work from.

Candeias gives protection to Tav very well and stops Teirney having a free run down the line. McCrorie gives protection to the CB's 

IMHO, Docherty and Dorrans haven't gelled at all, in fact, Dorrans hasn't found his feet thus far. Probably much down to Murty apparently wanting him too deep. Given that McCrorie is back now, Goss might be given a chance to create in midfield. Yet, I would assume that Murty might try the diamond in midfield which served him well the last time around and goes for experience. In that respect, we'll have a back 4 and Miller, with McCrorie sure the sweeper in front of the defence. If he has any sense, he'll go with two strikers, as Alfredo alone will - once more - be crowded out and our attack more or less toothless. So assuming the diamond ...

Foderingham

Tavernier - Martin - Alves - John

McCrorie

Docherty - Miller - Murphy

Morelos - Cummings

... would be my line-up. It would require the wingbacks to run their socks off for 90 mins (do you copy, Tav?), Miller to link the midfield and pass the ball to the flanks, and Morelos, Cummings and Murphy to cover the full attack line on either wing, with Miller pushing on through the middle. Docherty needs to be everywhere, keeping Brown and the wing-backs quiet, same with McCrorie. Their weakness is their defence and by playing just one striker as before, we do not target that area properly.

But honestly, lets not kid ourselves, the line-up will be the same that we saw starting the last game, with the only difference being McCrorie, who might be starting in midfield instead of ... I hazard a guess and say either Murphy or Candeias. Contain their threat and try to hit them on the counter.

To be fair to Holt he played well in the New Year game at Parkhead and in the 0 - 0 game last season so he is capable.  However, for whatever reason, he seems to be out of favour so if Docherty is to be dropped then Halliday will probably be the main to come in.

We certainly have lots of options and the 4-1-4-1 seems possible but Murty used the diamond in that New Year game so may opt for that with McCrorie fit again.  The formations are not all that dissimilar depending on who plays in the advanced roles and it's not inconceivable Goss, Holt or Miller feature instead of those pictured below.

4-2-3-1

rfc_celtic_c.jpg

4-4-2 Diamond

rfc_celtic_d.jpg

I don't think I'd want to risk Alves on the big Hampden pitch, which means playing McCrorie in defence.

Docherty didn't have a great game on Saturday but hopefully it's just a blip as he'd been playing well before that and I'd have in him from the start.

Candeias can't (and won't) be dropped. Halliday looked better than Dorrans and I'd maybe go with him as the defensive midfielder.

The number 10 role is the difficult one. Miller isn't mobile enough for Hampden. I'm not yet convinced about Cummings ability to play in the number 10 role. I actually like R_S's suggestion of bringing in another midfielder and perhaps Dorrans can move into that position.

Foderingham

Tavernier - McCrorie - Martin - John

Docherty - Halliday

Candeias - Dorrans - Murphy

Morelos

3 hours ago, ian1964 said:

What team would you send out on Sunday? I will go with this:

Wes

Tav - Martin - Alves - John

McCrorie

Candeias - Dorrans - Docherty - Murphy

Morelos