David Bates has signed with Hamburg

2 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Murty repeatedly puts his foot in his mouth and his comments on Bates are no exception.

I'll be watching on in terror of him saying something silly in the pre-match build up to either of our next two matches.

If he gets two wins I wont really give a hoot what he says pre-match.

Wishful thinking, I know :(

2 minutes ago, craig said:

If he gets two wins I wont really give a hoot what he says pre-match.

Wishful thinking, I know :(

Hypothetically, yes, but his comments don't happen in a vacuum though.

The things that he tells an interviewer, and his demeanor, will undermine his authority with the squad.

8 hours ago, Darthter said:

Ok...what if he said they wouldn't match it - for what reason???  Couldn't afford it, Wage structure, not worth it???  The reasons are exactly the same.  Stop beating the guy up, coz you think he should have used "wouldn't" rather than "Couldn't" when the outcome is exactly the same.

Yes, the outcome is the same but the reason is different.

It’s just another minor moment of amateurism, and they’re all adding up.

12 hours ago, StuGers said:

Yes, the outcome is the same but the reason is different.

It’s just another minor moment of amateurism, and they’re all adding up.

Sorry, I don't think it is.....I think it's nothing more than fans ripping apart EVERY single word that is said, and deciding for themselves what the true/actual meaning is or should be.  Essentially looking of an excuse/reason to pick holes in everything.

The bottom line i the Bates thing is that Rangers offered him a new contract, based on what they felt he was worth.  Someone else offered a better contract & the lad took it.

20 hours ago, Darthter said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with saying the "couldn't match Hamburg" - doesn't mean they couldn't afford the money, there is maybe a defined wage structure in place for players of certain ages (to prevent too much money @ such a young age).  It maybe the couldn't match the offer coz they didn't think he was worth it.

Agreed. I'd use the same wording as Murty in a similar situation if someone asked me for a big payrise. Sure, there's a bit unsaid but everyone knows the implicit bit.

There's plenty to hammer Murty for but this really isn't it.

6 minutes ago, Frankie said:

We have to assume the DoF has his eye on replacement centre halves and feels he can get better than Bates for similar/less money.

That may well be the case (hopefully), but the club have done the right thing in not being held to "ransom" by a players agent (most likely) demanding too much money.

They way a lot of these threads tend to go, you'd think we had just let Messi/Ronaldo go coz we only offered the £5k per week.  Bates is/was a decent player, nothing more.  Could he develop into a better player - probably.  Could he develop into a top class defender - probably not.  Rangers need better than David Bates.

FWIW, the agent says they weren't asking for the money quoted in the Scottish press.  At the end of the day it doesn't matter; he's gone and we have to replace him - perhaps Aidan Wilson will do that.

However that still leaves us with Alves, Martin and Cardoso to replace as none of them are reliable enough to persevere with.

2 minutes ago, Frankie said:

FWIW, the agent says they weren't asking for the money quoted in the Scottish press.  At the end of the day it doesn't matter; he's gone and we have to replace him - perhaps Aidan Wilson will do that.

From the little I've seen of Aiden Wilson, he looks a better prospect than Bates.