David Bates has signed with Hamburg

4 minutes ago, pete said:

I hate when people say footballers only have a short career so they have to have made their money. Why should a footballer not have to find another job like other people do. When computers came in did anyone say the administrative workers who kept cupboards loads of files have to make a fortune because their work was finishing. Players can become coaches, media, Gym instructors, They don't have to be able to retire at 32.

I think a more appropriate sentiment is that it is a career that could end at any time.

You can't be certain that an opportunity for a larger wage will arrive in the future.

19 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Really Darther? C'mon, you simply can't compare professional football to 'normal' work no matter how hard you try. You can compare it to 'showbiz' or music maybe but not anything that you or I would recognise as 'work'. I don't know what you do for a living but I'm willing to bet no one scouted you to do it when you were still at primary school, you didn't have a succession of peers and adults telling you how fantastic you were going to be all through your early teens and no one offered you £100k a year plus to do it when you were 18. It is in no sense of the word a "normal workplace" and players asking to double, triple or multiply by ten their salary happens fairly regularly. It's a short career, it's ridiculously overpaid and far too much importance is placed on it, but it is what it is and that is most certainly not normal. 

All that aside, the grim reality is that they still operate under Employment Law, the same as any other employee of any other company.  If Miller and Wallace were showing subordination then the Club had every right, almost an obligation actually, to take the action they did.

You are trying to defend their actions based on the specificity of how they got to where they are - there is nothing in Employment Law which says you can act in a subordinate manner just because you were scouted in primary school or get paid tons of money. 

The point Darthter is making, correctly, is that these two individuals, regardless of profession, wage, or standing - are employees of an entity which gives them both the protection and the obligation to operate under employment law, just like you, Darther or myself.

Debating how they got there is irrelevant - they are still employees governed by the same legislation as the rest of us.

1 hour ago, pete said:

I hate when people say footballers only have a short career so they have to have made their money. Why should a footballer not have to find another job like other people do. When computers came in did anyone say the administrative workers who kept cupboards loads of files have to make a fortune because their work was finishing. Players can become coaches, media, Gym instructors, They don't have to be able to retire at 32.

All very valid points pete.  Their footballing career may indeed be over but it doesn't mean they are out to pasture - they should ALL be looking to then find alternative careers.  They may not be nearly as well paid as their footballing gig but that doesn't mean they shouldn't ever have to work again.

Shaka Hislop, for example, went back to Uni and got his MBA - doesn't use it much as he has an analyst role on TV but he still went back to Uni to finish his education. 

It IS a short career in which to earn a bunch of money - but these guys get paid so much that they have the luxury, usually, of not having to find work immediately after retiring.  They also will only be in their mid 30's so a change of career, or uni, or finding a new career, or starting their own business - should be reasonably easy for them.

Not surprising to me to hear Bates was offered deals by several clubs in England and Hamburg wasn't even his highest offer. Annoying to hear Rangers say they "couldn't" match the offer when they really "wouldn't" because they took him for granted.

Edited by DMAA

6 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Not surprising to me to hear Bates was offered deals by several clubs in England and Hamburg wasn't even his highest offer. Annoying to hear Rangers say they "couldn't" match the offer when they really "wouldn't" because they took him for granted.

Simple things like that are why Murty is amateur.

He should be stating that we “weren’t willing to match his demands” rather than the rather pathetic “we couldn’t match Hamburg”.

Does this make us attractive to any players even considering talking to us?

Communication like to the outside world drives me mad and Rangers are in the dark ages when it comes to representing themselves.

Edited by StuGers

10 minutes ago, DMAA said:

It depends on how much he was being offered though.  Clubs need to work within budgetary constraints.  As an extreme example, if Club A has revenues of 100 million and gives a player 1 million salary that is "only" 1% of turnover.  If Club B has revenues of 10 million and gives the same 1 million salary that is 10%.

We know that we don't have massive incomes - not only that but we have players like Alves earning fortunes that we cant just expect to walk away without payout.  On top of all of that, we don't know if he actually wanted to stay :(

2 minutes ago, StuGers said:

Simple things like that are why Murty is amateur.

He should be stating that we “weren’t willing to match his demands” rather than the rather pathetic “we couldn’t match Hamburg”.

Does this make us attractive to any players even considering talking to us?

Communication like to the outside world drives me mad and Rangers are in the dark ages when it comes to representing themselves.

TBH....this is part of the problem the club, in general, is facing - Our OWN FANS scrutinising & criticising every single word that comes out of Ibrox. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with saying the "couldn't match Hamburg" - doesn't mean they couldn't afford the money, there is maybe a defined wage structure in place for players of certain ages (to prevent too much money @ such a young age).  It maybe the couldn't match the offer coz they didn't think he was worth it.

Folk are calling for more communication from the Board, yet when there is statements or interviews, they get slaughtered.  They can't win.

1 hour ago, pete said:

Well said Pete, that bollocks keeps being spouted. Like many, I had to reinvent myself several times to maintain a career. What’s so special about sportsmen?

3 minutes ago, Darthter said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with saying the "couldn't match Hamburg" - doesn't mean they couldn't afford the money, there is maybe a defined wage structure in place for players of certain ages (to prevent too much money @ such a young age).  It maybe the couldn't match the offer coz they didn't think he was worth it.

Rubbish.  Murty's comment makes our club look even more incompetent.  

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Rubbish.  Murty's comment makes our club look even more incompetent.  

Ok...what if he said they wouldn't match it - for what reason???  Couldn't afford it, Wage structure, not worth it???  The reasons are exactly the same.  Stop beating the guy up, coz you think he should have used "wouldn't" rather than "Couldn't" when the outcome is exactly the same.

Edited by Darthter