David Bates has signed with Hamburg

2 minutes ago, Frankie said:

FWIW, the agent says they weren't asking for the money quoted in the Scottish press.  At the end of the day it doesn't matter; he's gone and we have to replace him - perhaps Aidan Wilson will do that.

However that still leaves us with Alves, Martin and Cardoso to replace as none of them are reliable enough to persevere with.

Martin will surely go when his loan period ends but Alves and Cardoso have relatively lucrative contracts to what may be available elsewhere.

Much will depend on the new manager.

Just now, Bluedell said:

From the little I've seen of Aiden Wilson, he looks a better prospect than Bates.

I liked Bates and felt he was under-rated by many fans but Wilson did look useful when he played yet apparently has struggled to get into a poor Dumbarton side and only played three times including being sent off in his last appearance three weeks ago.

I still like Alves. I'd build the defence around him -- not dramatically, because he's only got a year or two left in him. I think he's solid enough; he just hasn't been protected enough from midfield.  

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I still like Alves. I'd build the defence around him -- not dramatically, because he's only got a year or two left in him. I think he's solid enough; he just hasn't been protected enough from midfield.  

He shouldn't need protection "from midfield", neither of our CHs should. Though it would have been cool to have Ryan Jack or indeed McCrorie around as a sweeper in front of the CHs.

IMHO, our main problem with Alves and Cardoso was that they were used to play in 4-at-the-back formations, where fullbacks are there to defend. In most of our games though, we left and leave our CHs exposed, as our fullbacks are constantly up in midfield or beyond. Teams simply needed to get the ball off us and lump it forward, anywhere between or either flank of our CHs and have two or three players chase the ball.

Maybe we trial a three at the back soonish, with Alves, Cardoso and McCrorie the CHs. McCrorie can step out into a sweeper role when we have the ball, while we revert to a 5 at the back when defending. That would also need Tavernier to be alert for the full 90 mins though. Docherty in MF for the donkey work, pending on the opposition Jack for breaking up play. Right now I'd hand Dorrans a rest, as he has shown next to nothing thus far that validates a starting slot. So Goss and/or Murphy in the middle as the creative chap, Cumming and Morelos up front.

14 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

He shouldn't need protection "from midfield", neither of our CHs should. Though it would have been cool to have Ryan Jack or indeed McCrorie around as a sweeper in front of the CHs.

IMHO, our main problem with Alves and Cardoso was that they were used to play in 4-at-the-back formations, where fullbacks are there to defend. In most of our games though, we left and leave our CHs exposed, as our fullbacks are constantly up in midfield or beyond. Teams simply needed to get the ball off us and lump it forward, anywhere between or either flank of our CHs and have two or three players chase the ball.

Maybe we trial a three at the back soonish, with Alves, Cardoso and McCrorie the CHs. McCrorie can step out into a sweeper role when we have the ball, while we revert to a 5 at the back when defending. That would also need Tavernier to be alert for the full 90 mins though. Docherty in MF for the donkey work, pending on the opposition Jack for breaking up play. Right now I'd hand Dorrans a rest, as he has shown next to nothing thus far that validates a starting slot. So Goss and/or Murphy in the middle as the creative chap, Cumming and Morelos up front.

Every CH needs protection from the midfield. (A sweeper technically plays behind the CH.)

Every back-four has that problem nowadays (high full-backs); they get their protection from midfield, a DM.

All of our midfield push forward too often and fail to intercept passes, meaning opponents have a free run at our defence (see Dundee). The best CH in the world would have issues in that situation.

I'd love to see a back-three. In Germany you have the 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-2-1, depending on whether you want a two strikers or two wingers. (Full-backs can play higher or deeper as required.) I think I'd prefer for us to use our two wingers, as they are our better performers. 

46 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

From the little I've seen of Aiden Wilson, he looks a better prospect than Bates.

Can't really mind much about A Wilson...other than he did a decent job.  Is he any better/worse than Bates???

As for the remaining defenders, I think dB has a point about the 2 CH's being exposed.  Alves probably doesn't have the mobility to cover the FB's space anymore & would require players around him to do more of the running.  3 at the back may accomplish this better - pacier CH's either side of him & let Alves control things form the middle.  McCrorie might be the idea candidate as he has shown that he is perfectly adept, sitting in front of the defense & can also perform equally well as a CH.  Whether he could adequately transition between the roles throughout a game would need to be tested.

McCrorie actually provides an enormous amount of versatility: He can play RCB (in a back-three), CB (in a back-four), and DM -- and even RB at times, I think?

He allows us to switch from a back-three to back-four mid-game. 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

He is slower than a week in jail and doesn't look remotely interested.