David Bates has signed with Hamburg

I remember back to last summer when Pedro was in the middle of his spree, I quipped to my old man 'I hope this time next year we don't have to pay off a scatter of Portuguese and Mexican diddies...for all we know it could be a case of Rob Cardoso and Martyn Herrera'

Deja Vu.

16 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

He has indeed. Certainly more so than any of our other options of late

Nice of him to show up every few matches.  

We need effort and guts tomorrow, not hide and seek champions.

10 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

If you didn't agree you would have contested the point.

Nah, you simply snap at heels pointlessly and ignore the facts. Or chose to interprete them in a way to suit your argument, which is your prerogative.

NB: cooponthewing, what shall we make of comparisons of Fabio with Rob Kiernan when those making it can't even spell his name correctly?

2 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Nah, you simply snap at heels pointlessly and ignore the facts. Or chose to interprete them in a way to suit your argument ... [blah, blah, blah].

The pertinent fact here is that Cardoso really is worse than Bates.

No amount of excuses will persuade anybody of the contrary.

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

The pertinent fact here is that Cardoso really is worse than Bates.

No amount of excuses will persuade anybody of the contrary.

Speak for yourself, not for "anybody".

It is quite interesting to note, BTW, that those unwilling to have a reasonable or sensible debate come up with the "excuse" stuff , time and again. Skip the arguments and debate for debate's sake. Not unexpected, again.

23 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Speak for yourself, not for "anybody".

It is quite interesting to note, BTW, that those unwilling to have a reasonable or sensible debate come up with the "excuse" stuff , time and again. Skip the arguments and debate for debate's sake. Not unexpected, again.

ranger_syntax and der Berliner Can you two lovers stop the tiff and winding each other up please it is boring.

I was away last week when Bates to HSV was announced, and so much has happened since it's been forgotten about. One thing that struck me was our recent record in retaining home grown players (I know Bates came from Raith Rovers but he's still a young, Scottish player who developed at the club). 

If different decisions had been made our current squad could have Lewis MacLoed, Barry McKay, Danny Wilson, Billy Gilmour, Charlie Telfer and David Bates in it. We've never adequately replaced MacLoed or McKay and we're going to have to spend money replacing Wilson and Bates. Now each left for different reasons but you'd think we could create an environment at the club where promising home-grown players wouldn't want to leave, for any reason.