David Bates has signed with Hamburg

29 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

This is my whole point! would make sense to get rid of Alves and give Bates a better deal! throw in Cardoso who isn't even playing, and also Martin!!!.

How can you justify paying Alves £40k per week yet refuse to pay an up coming CB £7-8k per week? yet get accused of ''whaling'' about a perfectly common sense approach! crazy!!.

As I said, you cant just say "get rid of him" - he's on a contract and if he doesn't want to rip it up we cant force him,

You are trying to suggest something which suits what you want, but it isn't something that is necessarily easy to achieve.

12 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

March the 11th that I can think of just now.

Major role in two goals against us.

Bit unfair to be judged on coming in cold as a sub and having had little game time in the previous 3 or 4 months.  We had lost a goal when he came on, would agree he was to blame for 2nd goal but Alves was also culpable as he got caught well out of position.  3rd goal looked to me like it was Goss who showed Edouard inside instead of down the line.  But my memory isn't that great, especially in losing games against them....

His previous wasn't great either to be fair right enough :(

1 hour ago, ian1964 said:

Nobody is doing that, except you! people are only expressing an opinion so no need to get on their backs just because their opinions are different from yours!.

I have already stated I am not getting my knickers in a twist about it, I just don't see the point in getting rid of a young Scottish player who has been our best CB while the other are underachieving yet getting paid a lot more

Im certainly not doing that , i couldnt care less if any player stays or goes from this squad , we are miles away from where we need to be , as for him being our best CB , thats subjective 

17 minutes ago, craig said:

As I said, you cant just say "get rid of him" - he's on a contract and if he doesn't want to rip it up we cant force him,

You are trying to suggest something which suits what you want, but it isn't something that is necessarily easy to achieve.

I'm not trying to suggest anything, I am only comparing players, performances & wages, I have no idea how long Alves contract is and only using him as an example, Cardoso never plays, I do know Martin is here on loan and will be getting paid more than £7-8k a week!. It seems to me we have learned nothing regarding wasting money!.

4 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

I'm not trying to suggest anything, I am only comparing players, performances & wages, I have no idea how long Alves contract is and only using him as an example, Cardoso never plays, I do know Martin is here on loan and will be getting paid more than £7-8k a week!. It seems to me we have learned nothing regarding wasting money!.

So bringing in Martin, Murphy & Cummings on loans (with a view to a permanent deal for the latter two) is "learning nothing" ?  I would suggest that much was learned by bringing those guys in on initial loan deals with views to permanent.  Murphy has proven he would be worth a permanent deal.  Cummings hasn't had the chance but at least if he doesn't look like being what we need then we haven't "wasted" wages on a 3 yr deal for a guy that won't cut it (I'm not saying Cummings won't cut it, but the point is those "loans with potential permanent deals" suggest we HAVE learnt).

"Would make sense to get rid of Alves" - that says, to me at least, that you ARE suggesting it.

Alves has another year on his contract I believe.

Would I keep Bates before Alves.  Definitely.  Would I pay him 7-8k a week ?  Nope.  Maybe it is me.... but I just don't think he is worth even close to that.  And before you compare him to other players.... they aren't worth it either.  If Alves doesn't want to leave then we probably don't have the finance to give Bates 8k over 4 years.  It is very much a personal thing but I just don't think he is good enough.  Our best CB this season he may have been (I don't think he has, McCrorie was and is better, but he is so versatile that he got moved to DM) but that doesn't mean he is good enough for us.  I would have absolutely no qualms in replacing Bates with Aidan Wilson, another youngster who has done well when called upon.

Our CB pairing next season should be McCrorie plus one other - whether that be Wilson, Alves or someone else.

FWIW, I heard about 4 or 5 months ago that Bates was leaving in the summer......

7 minutes ago, craig said:

So bringing in Martin, Murphy & Cummings on loans (with a view to a permanent deal for the latter two) is "learning nothing" ?  I would suggest that much was learned by bringing those guys in on initial loan deals with views to permanent.  Murphy has proven he would be worth a permanent deal.  Cummings hasn't had the chance but at least if he doesn't look like being what we need then we haven't "wasted" wages on a 3 yr deal for a guy that won't cut it (I'm not saying Cummings won't cut it, but the point is those "loans with potential permanent deals" suggest we HAVE learnt).

"Would make sense to get rid of Alves" - that says, to me at least, that you ARE suggesting it.

Alves has another year on his contract I believe.

Would I keep Bates before Alves.  Definitely.  Would I pay him 7-8k a week ?  Nope.  Maybe it is me.... but I just don't think he is worth even close to that.  And before you compare him to other players.... they aren't worth it either.  If Alves doesn't want to leave then we probably don't have the finance to give Bates 8k over 4 years.  It is very much a personal thing but I just don't think he is good enough.  Our best CB this season he may have been (I don't think he has, McCrorie was and is better, but he is so versatile that he got moved to DM) but that doesn't mean he is good enough for us.  I would have absolutely no qualms in replacing Bates with Aidan Wilson, another youngster who has done well when called upon.

Our CB pairing next season should be McCrorie plus one other - whether that be Wilson, Alves or someone else.

FWIW, I heard about 4 or 5 months ago that Bates was leaving in the summer......

Ok Craig, on you go, I have said enough in this thread.