David Bates has signed with Hamburg

Maybe Hamburger SV are anticipating life in Bundesliga 2 next season and are getting ready to cut costs. If they stay up, it'll be interesting to see how much game time he gets and how he performs.

If him leaving means that Aidan Wilson gets more of a crack in the first team, then I'm not overly concerned. Having said that, it would've been preferable if the club could've negotiated a sell-on clause if he had left whilst contracted to us. But that obviously isn't the case.

Good luck David.

24 minutes ago, rbr said:

You simply cannot be held to ransom by any player , have some fans learned nothing , I can't be bothered with this , pay them anything mentality .

I agree but what I would say is that the player is taking advice from a greedy agent and it's more likely that the agent is the driving force when it comes to money.

I wish players went with their heart rather just reaching for the highest pay packet their agent can get them. Players need to think for themselves. The agent is using them to feather his/her own nest nothing more nothing less. The player is just another commodity.

How many decent prospects have left Rangers and sunk without trace?

Edited by DevilBlue WeeThe

55 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Of course, however he was our best CB, young & Scottish, we are trying to build a team.

Ahem, no. He was and is a solid young Scottish centre-half. Full stop. Is he worth more than the money we supposedly offered? Possibly. That we didn't go any further may well mean that he ain't one of those deemed irreplacable.

If anything, we'll build a team around Ross McCrorie.

As for the Bates deal ... a bit strange that Bates & HSV have deemed it cool to do this stuff a couple of days before an Old firm game (just check NewsNow for the fallout), right in the middle of the second part of the season.

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

Ahem, no. He was and is a solid young Scottish centre-half. Full stop. Is he worth more than the money we supposedly offered? Possibly. That we didn't go any further may well mean that he ain't one of those deemed irreplacable.

As for the Bates deal ... a bit strange that Bates & HSV have deemed it cool to do this stuff a couple of days before an Old firm game (just check NewsNow for the fallout), right in the middle of the second part of the season.

What gets me is how easily we throw money around and waste a lot of it at the higher end of the wage scale on players where there will often be no re-sale value, yet we seem to want to drive a hard bargain at the lower end to the extent of losing a promising youngster for nothing.

Contract management is very important when your revenue streams are limited.

Maybe so. Thus far we don't know what really drove Bates on. IMHO, he knew that no matter who'd be the next manager, he'd not be automatic first pick if folk like McCrorie are about, and chap like Alves sign up too. You have to be somewhat special to make your mark at Ibrox ... and no, I do not think that either Bates nor Martin have that.

Bates might not be Beckenbauer, not yet anyway, but I prefer him to that imposter Alves and that washed up diddy Martin. Those saying we will get better in the Summer, I will not hold my breath.

3 hours ago, rbr said:

You simply cannot be held to ransom by any player , have some fans learned nothing , I can't be bothered with this , pay them anything mentality .

Who is saying pay him anything? do you know for fact the details? I dont so it would be good if you could inform us all of the deal

2 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Ahem!!!!, in your opinion just as my opinion is the opposite to yours