David Bates has signed with Hamburg

Alves was brought in to much trumpeting as a great defender who would organise our defence and bring us much needed on the field leadership. He has not done so, hopefully his contact is up in the summer and we can get rid.

29 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Ahem!!!!, in your opinion just as my opinion is the opposite to yours

Of course, and we usually only express opinions. IMHO, McCrorie, as a footballer, is head and shoulders above Bates. At least when it comes to young Scottish centre-halfs at our club. Perhaps some folk simply re-view some of our earlier games of the season, before Ross got injured? As far as I can remember, his only real mistake this season came when he laid Templeton a ball on the plate with a short back-pass. Even the Austrian chaps commentating on the Scottish league were raving every time they saw him.

What will stick with me when it comes to Bates is that for some bizarre reason, our midfielders and fellow veteran players saw it fit to time and again give him the ball to spray that defence splitting pass or long ball up the park, with the end result being that 9 out of 10 such balls came straight back at us or ended up nowhere. Yes, Bates is sure no Chris Hegarty or Ross Perry, but best centre-half at Ibrox he is neither.

Edited by der Berliner

27 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Of course, and we usually only express opinions. IMHO, McCrorie, as a footballer, is head and shoulders above Bates. At least when it comes to young Scottish centre-halfs at our club. Perhaps some folk simply re-view some of our earlier games of the season, before Ross got injured? As far as I can remember, his only real mistake this season came when he laid Templeton a ball on the plate with a short back-pass. Even the Austrian chaps commentating on the Scottish league were raving every time they saw him.

What will stick with me when it comes to Bates is that for some bizarre reason, our midfielders and fellow veteran players saw it fit to time and again give him the ball to spray that defence splitting pass or long ball up the park, with the end result being that 9 out of 10 such balls came straight back at us or ended up nowhere. Yes, Bates is sure no Chris Hegarty or Ross Perry, but best centre-half at Ibrox he is neither.

McCrorie is a better player, I am not comparing Bates with McCrorie, I am comparing Bates with Alves & Martin, Bates has won a couple of MOTM awards and I still say his distribution is no worse than Alves or Martin, Bates  has youth on his side to improve.

I'm not getting my knickers in a twist about Bates leaving, I am only saying he is a young Scottish CB who could maybe have developed a good partnership with McCrorie and lasted for years.

Edited by ian1964

30 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

While he has to look after himself, I can't help feeling there's a bit of ingratitude in his actions. 

Without knowing the fine details it is harsh to judge him, maybe he was just told he can go?

1 hour ago, rbr said:

Only a few weeks ago across a few forums the general consensus was he wasnt good enough , now hes leaving hes Beckenbauer 

No, but he has been far better than Alves & Martin this season making him our best CB.

You seem to be coming down hard on any Rangers fan who thinks he is a decent player, you going on about him holding the club to ransom yet is probably the lowest paid CB in the team, including Cardoso, and outplaying the other two CB. You seem to think he is crap!.

I asked you earlier in the thread if you know could you let us know the fine details of what wages he was on and what he wanted, can you tell us?

Edited by ian1964