David Bates has signed with Hamburg

7 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Surely there's no way Alves is on £40K/week.

I was told that by a couple of fairly well placed sources.

I was asked how much I thought he was on and I said "20k a week" and simultaneously was told by a couple of people to "double it".

1 hour ago, craig said:

I don't get this suggestion.  We picked Bates up on a free from Raith by having a youngster go the other way.  So how all of a sudden is it that you can't get another one of those and it will cost 1 million ??

He was 19 then, that's not the same. I'm saying to replace him directly now in terms of quality and age would be difficult and probably cost about that. I used Cardoso as an example of what the market price can be for average centre backs.

11 minutes ago, DMAA said:

He was 19 then, that's not the same. I'm saying to replace him directly now in terms of quality and age would be difficult and probably cost about that. I used Cardoso as an example of what the market price can be for average centre backs.

We will agree to disagree.  I have little doubt that with the right scouting someone of at least the same caliber as Bates could be picked up for peanuts.

David Bates: Rangers boss Graeme Murty admits club were priced out of deal for defender

David Bates
David Bates has signed a four-year contract with German outfit Hamburg

Rangers could not compete with Hamburg's contract offer to departing defender David Bates, according to Ibrox manager Graeme Murty.

The 21-year-old will move to Germany this summer on a four-year deal after failing to agree a contract at Ibrox.

"We were in negotiations with David and wanted him to stay - but Hamburg have come along and made an offer we can't match," Murty said.

"David has thought about his career and decided to take them up on that offer."

And the manager added: "That is the reality of the situation. We're disappointed as we've obviously invested time and energy in David. We've played him, helped his development but he has decided to go elsewhere. 

"That's his prerogative and we can't at this moment stand in his way. We wish him well."

Bates has made 17 appearances this season, but has not featured since injuring an ankle in the Old Firm derby defeat by Celtic in March.

He will move to Hamburg on a free transfer, with the club currently 17th in the Bundesliga - five points behind Mainz 05, who occupy the relegation play-off spot, with five games remaining.

Bates started his career with Raith Rovers and moved to Ibrox, initially on loan, in August 2016.

Murty, meanwhile, confirmed Josh Windass has resumed training before Sunday's Scottish Cup semi-final with Celtic, having limped off during the draw with Motherwell on 31 March.

27 minutes ago, craig said:

We will agree to disagree.  I have little doubt that with the right scouting someone of at least the same caliber as Bates could be picked up for peanuts.

We could get someone better on less money or someone worse on more money, the issue being is that we don't know and our recent record on signing centre-halves and contracts given is poor to awful. With Bates, we knew what we had and part of the unknown gamble is taken away, you could treat that as a commodity that was worth a price.

As for better transfer dealings in January...Yes, they were but they didn't have much to improve on and the real litmus test is the summer and we don't know how much say Mark Allen will have or if a new manager/head coach will insist on more control.

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

We could get someone better on less money or someone worse on more money, the issue being is that we don't know and our recent record on signing centre-halves and contracts given is poor to awful. With Bates, we knew what we had and part of the unknown gamble is taken away, you could treat that as a commodity that was worth a price.

As for better transfer dealings in January...Yes, they were but they didn't have much to improve on and the real litmus test is the summer and we don't know how much say Mark Allen will have or if a new manager/head coach will insist on more control.

Well, it would appear that the club felt they couldn't match Hamburg's offer.  Just how much that was we don't know.  Sure, it was worth a price - was it worth 8k a week ?  Not for me.  Again, though, I don't see many players worth 8k a week to us so it may just be me.  At 8k a week is he better value for money than Alves ?  Yes.  But we cant change Alves' contract nor can we simply move him on.

We have to be fiscally responsible - giving Bates an additional 5k a week may seem like value for some, but not for others.  Fair enough position to take.  Right now we have Alves, Cardoso, McCrorie & Wilson.  I am not having a go at Bates but McCrorie is a better CB than Bates IMO and Wilson did just as well as Bates when he was called upon.  With Alves and Cardoso in there as well (yes, preference would be to move both on but we are stuck with them for now) means we shouldn't need Bates.

It isn't ideal as he has done well for us.  But if it came down to money and depending on what he was looking for, we shouldn't just give him what he wants because he has been our best defender.  Is he good enough to wrest the title from Celtic ?  I have my doubts, though others will fairly disagree.  I personally think we need upgrades at CB - Bates isn't good enough IMO and neither is Cardoso or Alves.

I would argue that the January transfer window was our best for a number of windows and I don't think it is coincidental that it was Mark Allen's first with us.  Martin started out very well (though has slid recently), Murphy has done well for us, Docherty too (not sure how much Allen was involved in that one) and Cummings hasn't really been given too much of a chance.  I think it is a bit churlish to say he didn't have much to improve on (despite it being factual) because I think our January window was more than just decent for us.

I DO agree that the summer window will be the litmus test for us - but if January is anything to go by I think we can be reasonably confident going into it if Mark Allen is involved.  I would be very surprised if he isn't heavily involved.  Surely the whole point of having the DoF is that the manager/head coach tells the DoF the type of player he wishes and the DoF goes out to find such a player.  If the new manager/head coach doesn't want the DoF involved in transfer dealings then the Board will have royally screwed up once more.

1 minute ago, craig said:

Well, it would appear that the club felt they couldn't match Hamburg's offer.  Just how much that was we don't know.  Sure, it was worth a price - was it worth 8k a week ?  Not for me.  Again, though, I don't see many players worth 8k a week to us so it may just be me.  At 8k a week is he better value for money than Alves ?  Yes.  But we cant change Alves' contract nor can we simply move him on.

We have to be fiscally responsible - giving Bates an additional 5k a week may seem like value for some, but not for others.  Fair enough position to take.  Right now we have Alves, Cardoso, McCrorie & Wilson.  I am not having a go at Bates but McCrorie is a better CB than Bates IMO and Wilson did just as well as Bates when he was called upon.  With Alves and Cardoso in there as well (yes, preference would be to move both on but we are stuck with them for now) means we shouldn't need Bates.

It isn't ideal as he has done well for us.  But if it came down to money and depending on what he was looking for, we shouldn't just give him what he wants because he has been our best defender.  Is he good enough to wrest the title from Celtic ?  I have my doubts, though others will fairly disagree.  I personally think we need upgrades at CB - Bates isn't good enough IMO and neither is Cardoso or Alves.

I would argue that the January transfer window was our best for a number of windows and I don't think it is coincidental that it was Mark Allen's first with us.  Martin started out very well (though has slid recently), Murphy has done well for us, Docherty too (not sure how much Allen was involved in that one) and Cummings hasn't really been given too much of a chance.  I think it is a bit churlish to say he didn't have much to improve on (despite it being factual) because I think our January window was more than just decent for us.

I DO agree that the summer window will be the litmus test for us - but if January is anything to go by I think we can be reasonably confident going into it if Mark Allen is involved.  I would be very surprised if he isn't heavily involved.  Surely the whole point of having the DoF is that the manager/head coach tells the DoF the type of player he wishes and the DoF goes out to find such a player.  If the new manager/head coach doesn't want the DoF involved in transfer dealings then the Board will have royally screwed up once more.

The subject of the text I have enboldened is of far greater importance than Bates.

We have to hope there is some joined up thinking going-on.

37 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

David Bates: Rangers boss Graeme Murty admits club were priced out of deal for defender

David Bates
David Bates has signed a four-year contract with German outfit Hamburg

Rangers could not compete with Hamburg's contract offer to departing defender David Bates, according to Ibrox manager Graeme Murty.

The 21-year-old will move to Germany this summer on a four-year deal after failing to agree a contract at Ibrox.

"We were in negotiations with David and wanted him to stay - but Hamburg have come along and made an offer we can't match," Murty said.

"David has thought about his career and decided to take them up on that offer."

Surely the words should be 'won't match' Graeme. 

F***in amateur!

17 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Surely the words should be 'won't match' Graeme. 

F***in amateur!

So we should just pay whatever everyone asks for ?  We've been there, didn't end well....