David Bates has signed with Hamburg

Daily Record 'inside track' on this suggests the club.......... "refused to bow to wage demands of around 7500 a week".

"Rangers are in line to net only a five-figure compensation payment under FIFA guidelines but they point-blank refused to salary demands from Bates and his advisors they believed excessive.

His package would have outstripped considerably the salary levels of other young Rangers and Ibrox chairman Dave King and his board decided to draw the line on a player who has made just 19 appearances for the club."

--------------

No mention of what the club were prepared to offer but Forlansister mentioned 2K.

The question being, what happened to any negotiation between 2K to 7,5K (no mention of bonus structure) and length of contract ? 

He was definately worth more than 2K and IMO his age/displays to date merited an offer of more than 2 years.

5K and 4 years would have sounded about right to me and the question now is how much will it cost to replace him ?

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

Daily Record 'inside track' on this suggests the club.......... "refused to bow to wage demands of around 7500 a week".

"Rangers are in line to net only a five-figure compensation payment under FIFA guidelines but they point-blank refused to salary demands from Bates and his advisors they believed excessive.

His package would have outstripped considerably the salary levels of other young Rangers and Ibrox chairman Dave King and his board decided to draw the line on a player who has made just 19 appearances for the club."

--------------

No mention of what the club were prepared to offer but Forlansister mentioned 2K.

The question being, what happened to any negotiation between 2K to 7,5K (no mention of bonus structure) and length of contract ? 

He was definately worth more than 2K and IMO his age/displays to date merited an offer of more than 2 years.

5K and 4 years would have sounded about right to me and the question now is how much will it cost to replace him ?

I wonder what Cardoso is on? Alves & Martin?

Just now, ian1964 said:

I wonder what Cardoso is on? Alves & Martin?

It boils the blood to think of the sum of money we have wasted over the past couple of years but we have to look forwards and try to put a squad together that represents better value.

The unknown/hidden factors as far as we are concerned are:

- who is going to be manager 

- does the club know yet

- is this already having an impact on squad planning

What people aren't taking into account is that we have limited transfer funds available this summer, and even just to find a replacement for Bates of the same quality and age would probably cost about £1m in today's market (Cardoso was £1.3m remember and he is a few years older). Which makes laying down a red line over a few grand extra a week sound short sighted.

Bates was/is as decent player...nothing more.  There is potential for him to develop in the future & that is where the gamble lies.

He's not worth paying anywhere in the region of the £7.5k pw that is being quoted.  So do the club take a gamble & offer £3-3.5K with a 4yr contract in the hope of further development, or do they keep the wage low, and the term shorter & reduce that risk IF he doesn't develop as hoped??  Whos to say that he WILL develop into a better player than he is now - it's a tricky one. 

It would appear that the club opted to mitigate the risk somewhat, and go for the lower wage/contract term option.  Bates' agent thought differently with the outcome being he moves on.

I think the club did the right thing, in not being held to ransom.

I don't think Bates ever blew anyone away with his performances, but he did pretty well overall.  The other concern for Bates is that While Murty tends to favour him just now, there might be a different manager next season who has different views....

4 minutes ago, Darthter said:

Bates was/is as decent player...nothing more.  There is potential for him to develop in the future & that is where the gamble lies.

He's not worth paying anywhere in the region of the £7.5k pw that is being quoted.  So do the club take a gamble & offer £3-3.5K with a 4yr contract in the hope of further development, or do they keep the wage low, and the term shorter & reduce that risk IF he doesn't develop as hoped??  Whos to say that he WILL develop into a better player than he is now - it's a tricky one. 

It would appear that the club opted to mitigate the risk somewhat, and go for the lower wage/contract term option.  Bates' agent thought differently with the outcome being he moves on.

I think the club did the right thing, in not being held to ransom.

I don't think Bates ever blew anyone away with his performances, but he did pretty well overall.  The other concern for Bates is that While Murty tends to favour him just now, there might be a different manager next season who has different views....

Of course, and who is to say we don't have players lined up to come in who are better than what we have? I do hope that is the case.

My point is Bates is doing a far better job than any of the other CBs' while Alves, Martin & Cardoso are on far more wages than him, getting underperforming high earners of the wage bill would seem a better idea!

17 minutes ago, Darthter said:

It would appear that the club opted to mitigate the risk somewhat

I don't understand this talk of risk. We're talking about a player who even at 21 was outperforming and starting ahead of his higher paid colleagues, and in terms of finances we're talking about peanuts.

The risk is in spending a substantial transfer fee and at least £7,500 for an adequate replacement. Given this is the club who spent £1.3m and £20k in wages on Fabio Cardoso last summer I would consider that very risky.

1 hour ago, ian1964 said:

No, but he has been far better than Alves & Martin this season making him our best CB.

You seem to be coming down hard on any Rangers fan who thinks he is a decent player, you going on about him holding the club to ransom yet is probably the lowest paid CB in the team, including Cardoso, and outplaying the other two CB. You seem to think he is crap!.

I asked you earlier in the thread if you know could you let us know the fine details of what wages he was on and what he wanted, can you tell us?

He was wanting over £7 grand a week from what I was told plus a long term deal , he was offered £5 and a 2 year deal with a further option .

Im not coming down hard on anyone , im expressing an opinion on a young guy who 18 months ago was playing for Raith rovers , who had several decent games , nothing more than that , and who as decided with his agent to move abroad as is his will .

Whether he is better or worse than anybody is neither here nor there , because if he was even getting anywhere near the first team next year we are in trouble yet again .

But this whailing and acting as if the sky has fallen in because hes left , jesus wept have we really fallen this low .

14 minutes ago, rbr said:

He was wanting over £7 grand a week from what I was told plus a long term deal , he was offered £5 and a 2 year deal with a further option .

Im not coming down hard on anyone , im expressing an opinion on a young guy who 18 months ago was playing for Raith rovers , who had several decent games , nothing more than that , and who as decided with his agent to move abroad as is his will .

Whether he is better or worse than anybody is neither here nor there , because if he was even getting anywhere near the first team next year we are in trouble yet again .

But this whailing and acting as if the sky has fallen in because hes left , jesus wept have we really fallen this low .

The reality is that until we are further down the line and we see how the squad/mgmt. is shaping up for next season, how our budget has been spread and in this case, who are options are at centre-half.....we won't get a full picture to make a judgement from.

The other unknown is how Bates will get on with Hamburg and how he will develop.

The one thing I do take from this is we haven't managed the contract in a way to get value from a promising youngster. We did extend various contracts and appeared to be getting on top of this,...lets hope we haven't let the one who ends up going for real money slip through the net.