David Bates has signed with Hamburg

3 hours ago, ian1964 said:

No, but he has been far better than Alves & Martin this season making him our best CB.

You seem to be coming down hard on any Rangers fan who thinks he is a decent player, you going on about him holding the club to ransom yet is probably the lowest paid CB in the team, including Cardoso, and outplaying the other two CB. You seem to think he is crap!.

I asked you earlier in the thread if you know could you let us know the fine details of what wages he was on and what he wanted, can you tell us?

Reportedly on less than 2k a week and wanted between 7 and 8k a week.

18 minutes ago, craig said:

Alves is reportedly on 40k a week :shock:

This is my whole point! would make sense to get rid of Alves and give Bates a better deal! throw in Cardoso who isn't even playing, and also Martin!!!.

How can you justify paying Alves £40k per week yet refuse to pay an up coming CB £7-8k per week? yet get accused of ''whaling'' about a perfectly common sense approach! crazy!!.

Edited by ian1964

3 hours ago, DMAA said:

What people aren't taking into account is that we have limited transfer funds available this summer, and even just to find a replacement for Bates of the same quality and age would probably cost about £1m in today's market (Cardoso was £1.3m remember and he is a few years older). Which makes laying down a red line over a few grand extra a week sound short sighted.

I don't get this suggestion.  We picked Bates up on a free from Raith by having a youngster go the other way.  So how all of a sudden is it that you can't get another one of those and it will cost 1 million ??

3 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Of course, and who is to say we don't have players lined up to come in who are better than what we have? I do hope that is the case.

My point is Bates is doing a far better job than any of the other CBs' while Alves, Martin & Cardoso are on far more wages than him, getting underperforming high earners of the wage bill would seem a better idea!

Of course it would.  However, they are on contracts so it isn't as easy as telling them "Off you go".  If we knew for sure that Cardoso & Alves were leaving then offering Bates more would make sense.  However, if none of them leave or are prepared to lose their salary then you are now costing the club an additional 250k a year in salary for Bates increased contract.

2 hours ago, DMAA said:

I don't understand this talk of risk. We're talking about a player who even at 21 was outperforming and starting ahead of his higher paid colleagues, and in terms of finances we're talking about peanuts.

The risk is in spending a substantial transfer fee and at least £7,500 for an adequate replacement. Given this is the club who spent £1.3m and £20k in wages on Fabio Cardoso last summer I would consider that very risky.

Mark Allen wasn't involved then.  I think he has been very shrewd in January with the dealings, assuming he was pivotal in those dealings.  I would like to think, maybe it is just hope, that he wouldn't spend that type of money on that type of signing again.

2 hours ago, cooponthewing said:

I agree. So Bates was in circa 2k a week in wages. Who are we going to sign that’s up to the standard required for even double that? Cardozo, Martin and Alves don’t cut it. The two that do/did were McCrorie and Bates. Now Bates has gone? It’s just a strange bit of business??

If it's true that Alves is on 40k a week then we could cut our losses with him - assuming he would be willing to go, no guarantee there - and could get 2 CB's at 10k a week and still save money.

Pedro and his dealings last summer have screwed us royally between Alves, Cardoso, Pena and Herrera.

54 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

We couldn’t compromise with Bates from 5-7.5k weekly yet “Moana” picks up 25k+(or whatever we are still paying him?) while eating Burritos and Tacos washed down with Corona and Margaritas?

Completely irrelevant.  What Pena gets and what he is doing is irrelevant to what we did with Bates.  Or are you saying we should have just given Bates what he wanted ?  Yep, been there before haven't we.... where did it get us ?