Paul Murray And Barry Scott Resign

3 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I suppose our recent history means that many of our fans will think the worst when we see announcements like this, but the levels of madness on here are incredible.  There can't be anyone on here who seriously believes that we don't need an injection of new blood on the board.  I don't think the statement could have been any clearer in demonstrating that there's no issue here.  Does anyone not believe that?  We are expecting some changes which have been rumoured for a few months so it's no surprise we need to make room for some additions to the boardroom.  Normally a change of NED is not a reflection of arguments, or disputes, but rather that the purpose for which that NED was required is no longer a priority for the business.  I would assume that Murray contributed greatly to helping resolving our disputes with the previous regime.  I'm sure he's looking forward to being able to watch the games as a supporter again.  Thanks to both for their contribution, but again this is a non story.  It really must be a slow news week.

If Barry Scott is from Cillet Bang then maybe he was brought on to the board to have a clean-out.:facepalm:

There always been something about Paul Murray that never "sat" right with me.

I don't actually think he's a major loss, in terms of board functioning etc.  I was never sure what he actually brought to the table (in a business sense).  His background is in money & is a chartered accountant, yet doesn't appear to be directly involved in company finance ie. Finance Director.

Hopefully, it IS a major investor who is wanting more control/visibility over the finance side of things.

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

The resignations are unexplained. If it was to make space for new investors, why on earth wouldn't you announce that in one go? Rather than inviting the  press to fill the vacuum with a flurry of negative headlines (which they haven't disappointed with).

Don't read the press!  Rangers does not need to make sensible changes in a manner to suit the press.  It does them to suit the objectives of the club.  Clearly this made sense and it seems quite irrelevant to me about the time between resignations and new board members being appointed.  You actually tend not to replace NEDs because a board can have as many as necessary, however you do remove NEDs who no longer have a purpose.  That's not a negative reflection on them.  In fact, it can be wholly positive that what they were asked to do has been done and now the next problem is the focus, which requires different skills.

4 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Don't read the press!  Rangers does not need to make sensible changes in a manner to suit the press.  It does them to suit the objectives of the club.  Clearly this made sense and it seems quite irrelevant to me about the time between resignations and new board members being appointed.  You actually tend not to replace NEDs because a board can have as many as necessary, however you do remove NEDs who no longer have a purpose.  That's not a negative reflection on them.  In fact, it can be wholly positive that what they were asked to do has been done and now the next problem is the focus, which requires different skills.

The timing has to be relevant though. Why today? It's a PR blunder if nothing else. But I still suspect there's been a disagreement.

9 minutes ago, Darthter said:

There always been something about Paul Murray that never "sat" right with me.

I don't actually think he's a major loss, in terms of board functioning etc.  I was never sure what he actually brought to the table (in a business sense).  His background is in money & is a chartered accountant, yet doesn't appear to be directly involved in company finance ie. Finance Director.

Although he's a chartered accountant, he's never worked as an "accountant". After qualifying as a CA, he moved across to 3i, which is a private equity and venture capital company and continued in private equity, which isn't accounting.

He was on the Rangers board initially to assist with bringing finance into the club. For various reasons, he didn't seem too successful at that but he should be applauded for his subsequent efforts in other areas (getting rid of the previous regime etc).

I understand that he's got some personal issues at the moment, which may or may not be involved in this, but he's certainly a bear who has "lived the dream".

9 minutes ago, DMAA said:

The timing has to be relevant though. Why today? It's a PR blunder if nothing else. But I still suspect there's been a disagreement.

A few ITK posters assuring fans that this is all planned. 

Stop panicking.

God speed the day when we don't have to concern ourselves with all these off the field, in the boardroom, along the corridors of power, matters

Mark you, how will the eamonns amuse themselves then?  (Perhaps best not to dwell on that, quite frankly.)

3 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

A few ITK posters assuring fans that this is all planned. 

Stop panicking.

The fact that the Board have planned something doesn't give me reassurance!

:D

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I won't miss Paul Murray any more than the other Murrays we've endured over the years. I knew Paul during his 3i days and I can think of few people I'd less like to be running a business. Accountants are like car mechanics - they know lots about how things work under the bonnet but you wouldn't hire them in place of Lewis Hamilton.

Easy tiger :ninja:

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Accountants are like car mechanics - they know lots about how things work under the bonnet but you wouldn't hire them in place of Lewis Hamilton

Celtic wouldn't be where they are if Lawwell hadn't put them on a very sound financial footing years ago. I'm much happier having accountants in our boardroom than not.