The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

I'm sure we have an interest in McGinn but I doubt even playing for Gerrard would make much difference to his apparent preference to move south.

More problematic would be dealing with Hibs anyway who a) will ask too much and b) would do anything not to sell to us.

2 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I'm sure we have an interest in McGinn but I doubt even playing for Gerrard would make much difference to his apparent preference to move south.

More problematic would be dealing with Hibs anyway who a) will ask too much and b) would do anything not to sell to us.

Exactly. You're dealing with a hostile seller who aren't short of other options. Not to mention the fact he's a Celtic fan and Celtic would never let it happen.

Like us, I'm sure Celtic are interested but their midfield is already pretty strong so I doubt they'd want to sign McGinn for £5m right now - hence it's more likely he'll move to England.

4 minutes ago, Frankie said:

There is just no way he's coming to Rangers.

Hibs and Celtic have a mutual interest that in part is to prevent us getting stronger. From Liam Henderson in the Championship to how Scott Allan was signed by Celtic and has ended up back at Hibs, helping to take points from Rangers (+assist for Dundee winner against us).

Celtic could offer Hibs 500K plus a 6 month loanback of the same player. They could involve Scott Allan in a deal.

They have a chance of getting a very good prospect on the cheap and when the push comes to shove, they'll be sniffing around holding most of the cards.

13 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Like us, I'm sure Celtic are interested but their midfield is already pretty strong so I doubt they'd want to sign McGinn for £5 right now - hence it's more likely he'll move to England.

Rumour is that Rodgers is not a fan at all.

4 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Rumour is that Rodgers is not a fan at all.

I think he was trying to big up his own player in public rather than not recognising that McGinn can play.

The business side of their player trading operations will see McGinn as a potential pound sign.

One positive for us is that Rodgers hasn't been that good in the transfer market.

Edited by buster.

I think Rangers need to bite their tongue more often and foster better relationships with clubs like Hibs. We're the ones who'll suffer because there will always be players at these clubs who we want to sign and it's a disaster if they just refuse to even deal with us.

Lots of good players have been signed from other Premiership teams over the years and it's essential if we want to have a Scottish spine in the squad. One way to do this would be to offer decent players on loan with favourable terms the way Celtic have done (obviously not an option with sides like Hibs at the moment). For example, I wonder if someone like Hamilton/Partick/Killie/Saints would take Herrera/Pena on loan for 6 months if we covered their wage. Some first team football would do a lot for their value.

46 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I think Rangers need to bite their tongue more often and foster better relationships with clubs like Hibs. We're the ones who'll suffer because there will always be players at these clubs who we want to sign and it's a disaster if they just refuse to even deal with us.

Lots of good players have been signed from other Premiership teams over the years and it's essential if we want to have a Scottish spine in the squad. One way to do this would be to offer decent players on loan with favourable terms the way Celtic have done (obviously not an option with sides like Hibs at the moment). For example, I wonder if someone like Hamilton/Partick/Killie/Saints would take Herrera/Pena on loan for 6 months if we covered their wage. Some first team football would do a lot for their value.

For various reasons we can forget about Hibs for the time being but there is no reason why we shouldn't look to build better ties with a couple of the provincial clubs with a decent record in bringing through youngsters, eg. Hamilton Accies.

Primarily we need to create an enviroment where we can improve our own players that includes the 'pathway' for the exceptional talent.

In the past we have paid a premium (transfer fee) to other Scottish clubs for bringing through youngsters/providing them with substantial number of first team football at young age. We should be looking to bring through our own youngsters who are good enough to get gametime for top tier provincial sides (providing pathway to our first team) and thus try to eliminate the transfer fee and maximise our own youth.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Since you seem to be in the know about these people, could you rank them for the benefit of all. Perhaps an ITK scale of 1 - 100 for "closeness" and a bullshitter deduction of 5 points every time they get it wrong?

That way we'll know who to believe from the myriad of opinion coming from the ever-expanding ITK brigade. 

Cheers.

What I know is that MD wouldn't say without reason that it was rubbish what Jackson reported. As for the ITK guys, there are but a handful of people one can rely on with regard to certain topics at the club. Whether the info they have or got will become fact is still beyond their influence, which should be clear.