On 17/05/2018 at 20:50, colinstein said:

who has watched McGregor playing this season ?  I haven't so I don't know how good he is 

Is he a better stopper than Wes or does he command the box more ?

what about distribution from the back ?

Anybody watched him ?

I think McGregor is an upper English Championship/lower EPL level keeper. I'm sure he could easily get a game for anyone in England outside the top 6. The keepers we've been subjected to since he left are league 1 and below level. McGregor was a great keeper and I'm led to believe he's not lost a beat.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Good attitude from Wes, but I don't see him being with us in 2019. 

Then again predicting the future is fraught with danger, and predicting or future is totally impossible.

Edited by SteveC

I'm in the really happy mcgregors back camp.

Can't tell you the number of times i've been left disappointed by wes not saving what to me is a savable shot. Sure he's good with the ball at his feet but i much prefer my goalie making saves than being comfy on the ball.

Remember klos was poor with his feet but a great shot stopper, mcgregor is somewhere between the two.

When he went to Hull I told my pals there he was a tip keeper compared to previous and they have been very happy with him. 

If you look on sofascore (decent app) it profiles players by certain attributes such as shot stopping, aerial etc. He comes out average compared to others but it’s not clear what the group being measured is. 

However if he is still a good championship keeper he is a step up from Wes imo and certainly worth a free transfer. 

We have a couple of good young keepers coming through so increasing current quality with a future succession plan seems the right thing to do. 

43 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Whilst I'm not against MacGregor returning can we now concentrate on bringing in younger players ?

We've still got too many players in their 30's with no sell-on value

The impression given is that Shagger’s filling in for a couple of seasons until Kelly and McCrorie are ready for the first team. Proper succession planning!

Wes is still a young man, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to study under McGregor for two years and have the cup games. Or, we could save a wage and move him on and test the youngsters under McGregor's stewardship. 

Either way, I'm glad he's back with us. He'll give the defense the confidence they've been lacking over the years.