Gersnet World Cup Prediction League: Round 3

2 hours ago, cooponthewing said:

I am not trying to wind anyone up here but I genuinely don’t see a side that England would be scared of?

They could seriously win this thing. 

England certainly have a chance.  Even if only because the real powerhouses are playing dross.

They haven't played a proper team yet and I suspect if they come up against a Belgium team actually looking to win, or Croatia, or even a functioning Brazil, then they may meet their match.

I wouldn't mind England winning it anyway - at least they have tried to play expansive football in this tournament... so far !

43 minutes ago, craig said:

England certainly have a chance.  Even if only because the real powerhouses are playing dross.

They haven't played a proper team yet and I suspect if they come up against a Belgium team actually looking to win, or Croatia, or even a functioning Brazil, then they may meet their match.

I wouldn't mind England winning it anyway - at least they have tried to play expansive football in this tournament... so far !

Nah! Nightmare scenario for me.

Some good scores in one, very few in the other match last night.

For the SER-BRA game most gained points. 

Rousseau, onevision, Bill, compo, Franc, CD, buster, dB, Barebear, r_s coop, malangsob, BEARGER and FS gained 1 point for the Correct Result.

Lenny, Craig, Gonzo, Johnnyk, UKCrazyhorse and TB gained 3 points for the Correct Score.

BEARGER gained 1 extra point for applying his joker.

From the SER-SWI game, only compo gained points, picking 1 point for the Correct Result.

No Correct score, no jokers.

New leader, and the pack closes in!

Latest Standings:

Thing here is that the teams that you would expect to be able to play decent football have hardly had similar opposition thus far. The German had the Swedes, who were sure a class below and essentially did the same as Mexico and South Korea, i.e. stopping the Germans from playing and digging in ... hoping for the odd counter attack. Sounds familiar? And if you lack the invention or quality on the day, you will look rather poor, whereas those who thwart you will get all the praise, not least when they snatch the odd goal or even a win.

Belgium vs England won't be a benchmark either, for while they might "fight" for first place, they have both qualified and won't want to get any yellow cards or injuries. So only in the next round will teams have to show whether they'll have it ... yet, they may revert to tactics "not to lose" still.