Early days and we got through.

Instead of further venting frustration, I reckon it's probably better to wait and see how we get on in the second round, there isn't long to wait. Given personnel, SG needs to further study the Walter UEFA2008 blueprint.

Can we up our game for the occasion ? Yesterday we played a containing game. In his post-match interview, SG said that he'd told the players that a clean sheet would see us through and perhaps that was in the back of their minds and we didn't fully committ to attack.

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

We're clearly lacking quality in the final third, but that was a well-controlled game. 

Yesterday was the preverbial pub team in opposition.

Let's see if we 'control' the away leg next Thursday.

I get the impression that SG's primary goal is to make us hard to beat (similar to WS...), especially away from home.  1st & foremost, he was players closed down quickly & for us to control the midfield (and the game).  We can then hopefully take chance when they appear.

It certainly didn't sound pretty or exciting last night, but we kept another clean sheet (3/3 so far) & seemed comfortably in control of the match.

3 minutes ago, Darthter said:

I get the impression that SG's primary goal is to make us hard to beat (similar to WS...), especially away from home.  1st & foremost, he was players closed down quickly & for us to control the midfield (and the game).  We can then hopefully take chance when they appear.

It certainly didn't sound pretty or exciting last night, but we kept another clean sheet (3/3 so far) & seemed comfortably in control of the match.

I wouldn't read too much into clean sheets against Bury and a Macedonian pub team.

If we can get one in Coatia and Aberdeen then it's a much better indicator.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

I wouldn't read too much into clean sheets against Bury and a Macedonian pub team.

If we can get one in Coatia and Aberdeen then it's a much better indicator.

Clean sheets were something we struggled with against ANYONE last season, so regardless of who the opposition is, I'll take them.

We kept a clean sheet in 29% of our matches last season (11/38).  42% @ home, 16% away

12 minutes ago, Darthter said:

Clean sheets were something we struggled with against ANYONE last season, so regardless of who the opposition is, I'll take them.

We kept a clean sheet in 29% of our matches last season (11/38).  42% @ home, 16% away

Last year

15 June 2017   Friendly  Rangers 5 − 0 Coleraine showAuchenhowie
22 June 2017Friendly Rangers 0 − 0 St Johnstone showAuchenhowie

29 June 2017 Rangers Scotland 1 − 0 Luxembourg Progrès Niederkorn
1 July 2017Friendly Rangers 3 − 0 Raith Rovers

The difference being  that on the 4th of July we lost 0-2 to Progres.....so yes, when it mattered we kept another clean sheet this year but you can't really judge our defence on the matches thus far. They've done what they had to but the real tests are still to come.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Rangers_F.C._season

Edited by buster.

I didn't see the game, but by the sounds of things, it wasn't pretty. Main thing for me is that we won the game over the two legs and didn't concede. It's still early days and technically this is still pre-season, so I won't get too worked up about it.

Or put it another way: Brenda lost his first match in Europe to an actual pub team (probably) although they won the tie anyway, so Stevie G is doing better than Rodgers in his first foray into Europe.

4 minutes ago, TheUKCrazyhorse said:

I didn't see the game, but by the sounds of things, it wasn't pretty. Main thing for me is that we won the game over the two legs and didn't concede. It's still early days and technically this is still pre-season, so I won't get too worked up about it.

Or put it another way: Brenda lost his first match in Europe to an actual pub team (probably) although they won the tie anyway, so Stevie G is doing better than Rodgers in his first foray into Europe.

We were in complete control from start to finish.

All of last season week in week out we complained about the defence and there can be no doubting we now have two young strong central defenders who appear to be working well together.

Goldson commented after this match that we were the highest scoring team in the league last season and he's confident the goals will start coming. He has a better insight into what's going on than I do so if he's confident the goals will come I will remain so too.

I'm currently pretty unconcerned about the sheep. They couldn't beat us even as we struggled last season while this season we're stronger and they're no better.