[FT] Rangers 1 (Katic 53) - 1 Osijek

54 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Rest assured, these chaps' mind games (which I haven't read) have had little to do with me remark above. Croatia has produced top-notch footballers for decades who load the top tiers in Spain, Italy, France and Germany. We don't need to fear them, but respect and caution should be on the agenda.

I hear you and agree but what we saw in first leg was no better than some of the opposition we’ll meet at home. We (the team) need to be confident of beating them or we’re wasting our time

Just now, buster. said:

Anyone with a memory as to how much better Rangers teams too often tripped up in Europe would agree.

I would take that too but would obviously prefer we get an early goal to to stop all the nail biting.

Just now, MacK1950 said:

I would take that too but would obviously prefer we get an early goal to to stop all the nail biting.

We are still a work-in-progress feeling our way and have no solid base on which to feel ubber confident yet.

I'm sure SG will say the right things to them,..... but it's about how the players perform in the biggest game to date and react to certain situations in front of a big Ibrox crowd.

The important thing is to get through and I think we will.

I'm really worried about this game tonight. Although we won the first leg, it was a very tight game, and on another day we could easily have lost 1-0 instead of winning 1-0. If the Croats get the first goal tonight, the fans will get restless and the players will get nervous and apprehensive about playing their normal game for fear of making a mistake. It's what we have seen from our side since 2011, and I think it would be unfair to think that we have re-written our whole squad's mindset in just 3 competitive games, 2 of which were against a pretty poor side.

These are the type of ties we should be winning easily given the difference in budget, but we seem to rarely look like the money we spend on wages/players compared to our poorer continental cousins. It would be nice to get back to having some confidence in european ties against sides we should be beating. If we get through tonight and against Maribor then we can perhaps say we are seeing a turning of our fortunes, but that for me is a long way off.

I hope to see Kent continue instead of Candieas, who is so wasteful with the ball. I'm not sure if Kent will prove to be a decent player, but I am sure Candieas is not of sufficient quality to hold down a starting place. A bit harsh on a player who works really hard, has a good link up defensively with Tav, but he is a creative player and I dont think his final ball is good enough often enough. 

I am impressed so far with Coulibally, albeit only 1 game so far, and hope this can be the protection for the back 4 that none of the players playing that role managed too well last season. Who partners him when we go 2 holding players (as we surely will tonight) is debatable, I prefer McCrorie to Jack of those currently available but think the manager will go with Jack. I hope he doesnt let us down as his temperament is definitely suspect, as is his concentration. 

Ejaria reminds me so much of Oduwu who was with us a couple of years ago. Plenty of flair and fancy touches but will he have the workrate and quality to make a lasting impression? 

When Sadiq gets up to full match fitness it will give us more options, and perhaps we will see him from the bench for 30 minutes tonight. Hopefully he can get off the mark tonight and get himself off to a flyer which will also see us through.

A clean sheet sees us through, but realistically, we want to start the game positively and get the first goal which will force them onto us a bit more which should let us hit them on the break. However if we want to show we are a proper football team again, we should be winning these sorts of matches at home. SG talks about making Ibrox a fortress again. It starts tonight!

C'mon the Gers!

The key is to be sensible.  So far the team have managed games pretty well - especially away from home.  They need to continue that here.  We dont NEED to push for another goal, we're already winning the tie.  However, we need to make sure that we don't lose a goal.

Keep things solid in MF & try a couple of quick bursts at them to kinda test them a bit & let them know that they're in a game.  Osijek are the ones that need to really push for a goal, otherwise they're oot.

Basically, be sensible & take chances when the appear.