Aberdeen 1 - 1 Rangers (Tavernier 30pen)

I used to enjoy the trips up there.  I wouldn't give them the money now though.

Any kind of win will do tomorrow.  I expect a low-scoring, tense encounter.  

And please, Steven Gerrard, stick with the red and black socks!

Edited by Gonzo79

9 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

No one else think the Croats looked a better side than anything we saw from the sheep last season?

Probably, but note that Mr Graham Speirs was 'mightily impressed' by the sheepshaggers, and takes them for a win tomorrow.

I regard that as a good sign, right enough. 

9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

No one else think the Croats looked a better side than anything we saw from the sheep last season?

Osijek were better technically than every team we played last season.  Celtic aren't quite as technical, but they are more physical than we faced last week.  Aberdeen (and Hibs for that matter) however are all about the physical battle.  The reason we performed well against Aberdeen last season was because we found it fairly straight forward to play around them.  They chased us for much of those games, and although they caught us a few times, we were skilful enough and fluid enough to nullify their physical approach.

Thats why tomorrow is such a big indicator for me.  Are we still able to challenge physically if required?  That's a big yes, and I'm sure many of us will agree on that point.  However, are we able to quickly move the ball around them and play the killer balls?  I would still say yes, but we've also seen enough to realise that our play in the final third is a big problem and inconsistent to say the least.  If Aberdeen sit in, we will really need to move the ball quickly to carve out any chances.  If we can maintain the same discipline at the back while opening up half a dozen good chances tomorrow, I think we'll have found a good balance for the SPL.  That's what I'll be looking for more than the final score.  We've struggled with that balance and it kills us when we play against Celtic.  They are physical and technically decent as we know.  I'm just hoping we see enough tomorrow (regardless of the score) to have confidence in our ability to enjoy this season.  A clean sheet would do wonders for everyone's confidence.  I can't wait!

A great piece by @26th of foot and a great post #19 by @Gaffer

both are are far better quality than anything you could hope to read in the papers on the journey up to Dollyville tomorrow, well done gentlemen. 

I think this will be a very tough game and while it would be great to put a few past them and lay down a marker for the season ahead, any result other than defeat can usually be taken back down the road with some satisfaction. 

While Dolly has lost their main scorer in Rooney, they continue to be a well organised, physical and capable side who collected more points against the other 9 sides than us or the breaststroke managed last season. Their problem was in bottling it against the OF, and we must hope this continues tomorrow. 

Another consideration will be the officials. Too often last season we were hampered by dreadful decisions and already today I hear the beasts get another soft pen to ease their margin of victory. I read here that Clancy has been given the whistle for tomorrow, so head-scratching decisions should be aplenty by 2.45pm. I have called Clancy out as a biased cheat against us on several occasions over the last couple of years but I’m told it’s just incompetence - surely that would balance out - so tomorrow would be a good time for some of the dozens of decisions we are owed from this piece of trash!

i hope our 10 can beat their 12!