Rangers staff risk stoking sectarianism hints Glasgow council boss Susan Aitken

An old bloke told me that an old bloke had told him there wasn’t a lot of trouble pre 1914 and it only really got started post 1918. There’s an obvious reason for that. Initially it was mostly police v celtic while Rangers supporters looked on and, in the words told to me, “threw great dodders o’ rocks at the baith o’ them.”

11 hours ago, Gaffer said:

In my opinion this is one of the most dillusional posts I've read on here in some time.  Congratulations!

This is mostly made up in your mind.  Thankfully the minority you belong to is just that, and will disappear with a little more time.  Most of us have no problem with our fans having support for specific issues, political parties, the orange order, or other groups.  That's because most us recognise that the Rangers support is so large that it covers such a diverse section of the population.  That's a good thing, contrary to your belief.

For the vast majority of Rangers fans, they too follow but only focus on their team and beating their rivals.  There are NO conditions attached to supporting Rangers.  I accept that this is impossible for you to accept, but that's the facts.

Its the majority of us that will keep this club going in the future.  You can thank us later.

You are entitled to your opinion but I disagree with your assessment of the post being delusional.
I was trying to highlight the question put forth by the whiners that they couldn't support the SNP and support Rangers. Really, no one gives a hoot.
They were saying that the SNP were not biased as a party but only as individuals and I was pointing out where the party voted enbloc to pass legislation when the head proponents of the Act were biased towards Rangers. Go back and look at media coverage before the Act actually came in to being.
You are trying to imply that I am part of a minority that has a problem with fans having support with specific issues etc.. Did you miss the part where I said all were welcome to support their team on a matchday. That included 'campaigners' for a cause like yourself when you state in post #300 , ..."To some extent I think our entire support is currently united around this feeling of injustice over the past few years and want to give a massive GIRUY to everyone when we win 55.  But what then?  What unites us after that, and do we really need something to fill that political/cultural vacuum?"
The only cause Rangers fans need will then be #56.
You then go on to say ..."having a more uniting objective can be powerful", there is no more uniting objective than continued success on the field.
You express concern about the upcoming youth connecting with Rangers and how we should worry about connecting them with a cause. My 14 year old grandson is in Africa right now, the last three years he has been in Asia. He supports Rangers and not because his Grandpa is a Rangers supporter. He was hooked when I pointed out Rangers were the world's most successful club. 
When you state ... " However I do accept that having a more uniting objective can be powerful.  I just don't know what that is." There it is, win trophies, very cerebral, what?
Do you honestly think when supporters went to games sixty years ago we asked the guy next to us what his politics were, or what cause we would rally behind?
We paid our money, enjoyed the game and had our 90 minutes of bigotry followed by a few pints. Tell me what your bright new future holds that can top that.
In post #403 ..."I'm proud of my club but utterly embarassed by some of my fellow fans.  Maybe politicians feel the same way.  I now can't blame them.  The hypocrisy on here is unlikely to be rivalled.  I thought about pointing it out but as with post #300 I've realised there's no point." In post #452 you are still lamenting about the supporters. Give it a rest. Without these very supporters you are embarassed about you may not have had a team to support.
Like the vast majority of the Rangers support I don't attach any conditions to being a Rangers fan, other than if you criticise us expect pushback, some of which will most probably be warranted.
I'm proud of being part of the support in the past who presented the upcoming supporter generation with a club that would not succumb to the pressures from many quarters and whose club have an illustrious history. No need to thank us, we enjoyed the journey, as we hope you will enjoy yours.
WATP.

4 hours ago, Darthter said:

As a support, I am getting a distinct impression that we are getting extremely paranoid & convinced that EVERYONE is against us.  For example:

- BBC

- SFA

- SPFL

- Scottish Govt

- SNP (at all levels)

- Police Scotland

- HMRC

- Ibrox & Cessnock Community Council

- Glasgow City Council

- All teams within the SPFL & many out with

- All Referees

- Tartan Army

- Scottish Print media

- Scottish TV media

- Scottish Radio media

I'm sure I've missed several off the list....but it's a pretty long list!!!!

Darthter,

Surely you don't think that people's wariness of entries on your list as being unfounded do you?

8 hours ago, JohnMc said:

That's really interesting. My father's from an Ayrshire mining village and my Granny used to tell me her mother put red ribbons on her on May Day just to annoy her mother-in-law who was a Tory. But that was the 1930s, I thought by the 1970s that Tory/Unionist vote in mining communities had largely disappeared. Happy to be corrected. 

I was referring to the 70's but the same people still retain the same views today.  Despite our political differences and the fact I rarely see them I am glad to say we have a deep bond that will never be broken based on our mutual love of our football team and so many shared experiences.  

Wonder how many SNPs folk watched one of the finest shows of patriotism (for any country and even the EU)  of the year. (EDIT: just picked one of the songs with no particular priority, Rule Britannia 2018 wasn't available just yet ... )

Edited by der Berliner

51 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Wonder how many SNPs folk watched one of the finest shows of patriotism (for any country and even the EU)  of the year. (EDIT: just picked one of the songs with no particular priority, Rule Britannia 2018 wasn't available just yet ... )

If the BBC Proms is any kind of benchmark for patriotism, I'm out

6 hours ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Saltires waved as 'England's green and pleasant land' rings round the hall.

Which goes to show where the bigots and sectarians won't be seen. 

As for benchmarks of patriotism ... there are sure several ones but few are screened worldwide like the Last Nights.