Celtic v Rangers: Becoming the real deal...

44 minutes ago, Big Jaws said:

I don't care how many saves Shagger has to make thats what he's there for. They had two clear cut chances in the first half one from Eduard, and one from Nae neck. Second half they had none. Anything that came towards goal Shagger cleaned it up if our two CB's didn't. They pressed for free kicks, corner and high balls into the box like Motherwell did against us and with that ref they were getting them all day long (Goldson booked for a challenge on Christie on the edge of our box is a perfect example when it should have been Christie for simulation). They looked busy in and around our box but they never troubled us. We had them handled well and cleared everything they had to offer. They were absolutely knackered when they score from a 4 on 2 break away counter when the play should have been stopped just outside their box for a deliberate foul on Ryan Jack.  

I'm not saying we played brilliant scintillating football today. I'm saying we defended well and although they had a lot of shots, bobbles and scuffs they didn't really look like troubling us until that one incident. They know we're a different outfit and we're only going to get better. 

So aye mate we see things very differently from each other but hey thats football for you.

We do defend well, and we did in actual fact limit their clear cut chances, but if you can't stop the ball coming into the box the way it did today from umpteen corners or whatever, then you are always on the edge of losing a goal. The irony is of course, they scored in a breakaway which is what we had set up to do. However the problem was, we couldn't take the pressure off the defence for any length of time, didn't have the players or the legs to do it. Our wide men for most of the game were on defensive duties, and that meant that Tierney for example, was not being troubled defensively, and could bomb forward.

I think in the circumstances Gerrard was right not to attempt a high press, but we just didn't have enough about us today middle and front, defence was asked to do too much. We will play better teams in the Europa albeit in less hostile environments, and I have no worries defensively. I don't worry either about the players' fight and togetherness, but in tough places we need to do more to keep the opposition occupied, and take the pressure of the defence. Coulibaly will help.

1 minute ago, The Shed said:

We do defend well, and we did in actual fact limit their clear cut chances, but if you can't stop the ball coming into the box the way it did today from umpteen corners or whatever, then you are always on the edge of losing a goal. The irony is of course, they scored in a breakaway which is what we had set up to do. However the problem was, we couldn't take the pressure off the defence for any length of time, didn't have the players or the legs to do it. Our wide men for most of the game were on defensive duties, and that meant that Tierney for example, was not being troubled defensively, and could bomb forward.

I think in the circumstances Gerrard was right not to attempt a high press, but we just didn't have enough about us today middle and front, defence was asked to do too much. We will play better teams in the Europa albeit in less hostile environments, and I have no worries defensively. I don't worry either about the players' fight and togetherness, but in tough places we need to do more to keep the opposition occupied, and take the pressure of the defence. Coulibaly will help.

I can't disagree with anything you've said there to be honest. It's more or less exactly the way I seen the game too. We did invite them to come at us but even at that I felt comfortable about it. I think you're spot on about the lack of pressure on Tierneys position too and I'd like to echo here what I've said to the other guys on the pod a few times already. I know he's our captain but I feel Flanagan might have been a better option because as far as I'm concerned Tav can't play in an early 12 o'clock kick off. Tav offered us pretty much nothing down their left today and it wasn't because Candieas wasn't there because I thought Kent was doing all the work he would have done. In every early kick off I've seen him play in he's been slow to think and react and today he looked as if he was chasing the game. 

Disappointed we lost today but not a disaster. We are heading in the right direction now. I am sure of that.

It needs to be remembered this team was thrown together at the start of the season. It will get better & stronger as the season goes on. To have qualified for the EL group stages is an incredible achievement in itself.

Both MW & Pedro lost their first OF games 5-1 to the yahoos. Certainly can’t us suffering heavy defeats like that to them under SG

The ref was terrible today, he's not corrupt he's just terrible. I wish we brought in refs from overseas or down south, but doubt that would happen!

It was a foul on Jack before their goal that the 4th official seen and told the ref but he ignored it. He missed lots during the game he's just a very bad ref, yet probably one of the best up here which says it all!

We were poor today and gave them too much respect, we should have tried to attack more other than near the end of the game, they are not that good a team especially at the back, that's why its's frustrating to take.

However we've virtually got a new team again, we have exceeded expectations IMO up till now, and the more we play together and the more the manager learns we will keep improving.

I can understand how hard it is to get beat by them but I don't fear them with this new team and management like I have before, I am very confident to get a result at home next time if we keep improving like we have and gelling together.

We do however need to find someone who can change a game when we are not playing well or backs to the wall time, we just don't have that kind of player yet.

Someone who can create something out of nothing, hold the ball and score half chances.

They are hard to find with our budget but I'm more confident with Gerrard as manager that we can bring a special player to Rangers in the near future to help us improve even more.

Totally gutted but need to look forward and think of how much we've improved since last season already!

What is going to be interesting is whether the yahoo compliance officer takes action against Alan MacGregor for his kick out against Ajer. 

Will he or she also take action against Christie’s blatant dive late on for which Goldson got booked ?

Think Mr Gerrard will have an opinion on that. And do he should

I have not read through the thread, but my take on todays game is we were totally dominated for 90 minutes.

We never got involved in the match at any time and we could/should have been beaten by a bigger score line.

Poor show from us today and I expected more!

2 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

We didn't lose that game because of the ref

Yes we did. They couldn't score without the help of the refs turnover.

When in position they managed a whole three shots on target.

Sick of our fans tbh. Wage bill of 56m against our 18m and we have to play them off the park away from home.

They couldn't get through today. We held them and our game plan was working. You will always need a little luck.

The ref ignored the fourth official and was very like some of our fans ready to give a foul against Morelos before he moved.

If that is all they have the league is ours ????????