The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

3 hours ago, compo said:

I don't think you get much value in this window let's promote some of our youngsters and work hard at identifying players to bring in next season .

I don't think we'll be able to the type of business that will instantly instill the necessary consistency of winning league matches and you have to be careful to spread limited budgets between winter/summer windows, as well as keeping an eye on the wage bill. We can forget about the reported 50K p/wk on Pena & Herrera but the club needs to pay it or the pay-offs.

Now is when the football operation (recruitment) need to show their worth because we will obviously need to address the middle to front issue. 

I think we also need to work harder with the players we've already got. IMO Lafferty and Grezda both are currently lacking confidence and could step-up considerably. There was a moment in the game at Easter Road when Grezda picked the ball up around the half-way line and started towards the goal (not unlike some of the highlight Utube videos from Osijek days) but he got to the last third and instead of trying to make something happen, he stopped and passed the ball backwards. 

As for youngsters, IMO McCrorie should be a regular starter.

Edited by buster.

Re McCrorie ... he did came on and took his chance. Perhaps has overtaken Rossiter in the packing order, though both are quite young still. What was unexpected at Hibs was that we had essentially three DMs in the enginge room after Arfield went off, dominated that are and McCrorie and Coulibaly also went into attack every now and then. Yet, it was clear to see that we lacked penetration up front, which hurt even more when Morelos was misfiring time and again.

IMHO, Jack will remain first choice as DM and I wouldn't be surprised if we see both McCrorie and Coulibaly on the 29th. Let's hope Arfield and/or Kent are back by then.

13 hours ago, craig said:

Depends on whether he is on the average or above or below.  Of course there is also the added incentive, as Bill says, about the potential of getting yourself into the European spotlight.

Yes but I based my comment on the fact he’s played almost all their games, and by the looks of the videos been a good performer. 

I'm conflicted on whether we should splash out in this window trying to complete the jigsaw for a title run or wait till the Summer when there will be a lot more quality available. Clubs are often reticent to let players go in this window unless you pay over the odds and a lot more contracts are expiring around the Summer window.

I don't foresee any major signings, but we are short in certain areas; we need strikers and creative midfielders. 

Dorrans and Murphy will be like new signings too, in exactly the areas we're short; they are, when fit and on form, key first-team players. I don't think Dorrans has played under Gerrard -- outwith the odd appearance.