[FT] Rangers 1 - 0 Legia (Morelos 90+1)

A dramatic stoppage-time Alfredo Morelos goal edged Rangers past Legia Warsaw and into the group stages of the Europa League on a nerve-shredding night at Ibrox.

Steven Gerrard's side endured a frustrating evening against their obdurate Polish visitors, having drawn the first leg 0-0 in Warsaw last week.

However, in a game of few clear chances, Morelos headed in Jordan Jones' cross to seal Rangers' place in the group stage alongside Celtic for the second consecutive season.

Rangers toiled for much of the game inside a febrile Ibrox, a section of which was closed after the club were charged by Uefa for sectarian singing by fans during the first qualifying round win over St Joseph's.

The club confirmed on Wednesday that they will not take tickets for their first away match in the group stages after being given a second Uefa charge for more "racist behaviour" in the first leg against Legia.

Rangers will discover their fate at a hearing on Friday, and face the prospect of either playing their next home game behind closed doors or being banned from taking fans to their next away fixture.

Morelos finally claims his prize

Rangers lacked a clinical, final touch from the start. An unmarked Morelos jabbed Ryan Jack's right-wing cross wide from a promising position after 10 minutes and would spurn another chance before the half was out.

This time, the Colombian led a counter attack before cutting inside and firing a shot towards goal. However, his shot through a sea of Legia defenders bounced tamely towards goalkeeper Radoslaw Majecki.

The visitors tried to take advantage of a blunt and ineffective Rangers performance when Luquinhas latched on to a loose ball just after the half-hour , but the forward's own attempt mirrored Morelos' chance with a shot straight at Allan McGregor.

On the stroke of half time towering midfielder Carlos Cafu met a corner to knock the ball just wide of the Rangers' back post, but it was the home side that went in to the break cursing their missed chances.

If poor luck dogged Rangers' first half, it was all to evident in the second period, too, when the first action of the half saw left-back Borna Barisic go down injured after colliding with Nikola Katic.

The Croatian defender was eventually forced to come off, but not before Morelos misjudged another clear header in the 65th minute, following a perfectly weighted cross from James Tavernier.

The game was temporarily halted during the second half after smoke from flares set off by the raucous Legia fans clouded the pitch. And, against the backdrop of an increasingly agitated home crowd and an increasingly rambunctious away section, Morelos continued to hunt for the all-important goal.

With 20 minutes to play, the Colombian curled a deflected shot just wide, then a few minutes later he met a Tavernier cross with an audacious volley straight at the goalkeeper. Chances kept appearing, but the Rangers forward continued to miss the target.

The home side's continued attacking intent was almost all in vain when Jaroslaw Niezgoda skipped inside Connor Goldson with minutes of the 90 remaining, but his effort was saved by an alert McGregor.

The breakthrough finally came in the 91st minute. Jones cut inside from the left and dug out a back-post cross towards Morelos, who connected cleanly and watched the ball nestle just inside the back post.

It wasn't pretty or impressive but it was more than enough.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49498384

He did exactly the right thing. Header down and bounce in. It was probably the only way he was going to beat that keeper with a header from that position given the flight and relative lack of pace on the ball.

25 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

game was temporarily halted during the second half after smoke from flares set off by the raucous Legia fans clouded the pitch. And, against the backdrop of an increasingly agitated home crowd and an increasingly rambunctious away section

Ahh! I see we have the old “exuberance” line again! Anyone think if we had set off  a dozen smoke bombs next to a family section, that the PQCSC would have been so generous?? They are so far down the road now, they know there is no turning back. The clock is ticking boys!

6 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Maybe you need to watch the match again! it's good to see a ref trying to let the game flow, however he was hopeless in his decisions!

I’ve found every European ref we’ve had pretty disgraceful in how many fouls they give for nothing and stopping the game l constantly. Last week’s was probably the worst. I thought this ref was easily one of the best we’ve had and someone else on here said the same. It’s not saying much!

6 hours ago, craig said:

Did you watch them all entering and know they never checked anyone ?

It would have been a huge coincidence if the 12 people they did not search were the ones carrying the said objects. Surely if you are properly searched then there is no way you can get that stuff into the ground.

6 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

That was as tense a game as I remember but the atmosphere at the end was something else.  Hats off to Katic, Jack and Davis.  They carried us to the line and Alfie took us over.  I remember Souness talking about getting the spine of the team right and that was what won him the title in 87.  If we can keep these players and keep them fit they can do it.

Good post. This was probably one of Davis’ best games. Katic rose to the occasion and not for the first time in Europe. Jack was flawless again.

I would add Jones to your list because he came on and set up the winner. I was concerned that he was a “poor man’s Kent” when we signed him. Well, he’s making me look a bit silly because that’s his second big assist in Europe. Again he’s showing that he’s actually probably better than Kent at getting the ball in the box, whatever we say about the rest of his game. 

Barisic was worthy of a mention for me too. He looked as assured as I’ve ever seen him in a Rangers shirt. Playing sharp, crisp passes and flying forward and getting crosses in the box. We haven’t seen that from him in ages.