The Winter 2019/20 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/olivier-giroud.101513/page-6

L’Équipe report that 33-year-old French international forward Olivier Giroud’s most likely and most preferred destination for next month’s window is to quit Chelsea for Inter Milan, after he revealed in an interview that it was “very likely” that he would be moving clubs.

In a recent interview, Giroud also opened the door to a return to France, although he will not be going back to former club Montpellier, even though he is close to the club’s president Laurent Nicollin who he speaks regularly with.

Last summer, Rennes and Bordeaux made enquiries, but were dissuaded by his €500k net a month salary demands. Aside from Monaco and PSG, it feels like only Lyon could offer to meet those requirements in January. OL’s main striking target for the moment is Valencia forward Kevin Gameiro, although it is by no means obvious at this stage that the 32-year-old will say yes to joining Rudi Garcia’s project in the middle of this season.

Although Giroud has publicly praised Lyon in the past, his priority is to join up with Antonio Conte’s side, where he would face a less ferocious competition for places alongside Lautaro Martinez and Romelu Lukaku than at Chelsea, as Inter typically play with two strikers. On OL’s side, the fact that his profile is very similar to current forward Moussa Dembélé, may also discourage Les Gones.

Further afield, Giroud has received approaches from the MLS, but France boss Didier Deschamps has warned him not to join this league, which only begins on 29th February. The clubs who had contacted the player are LA Galaxy and FC Toronto.

Recently, Scottish side Rangers have also approached him, and will play in the Europa League knockout rounds, but their attempts have virtually no chance of success in attracting the Frenchman.

Contacted by L’Équipe, the player’s agent Mickaël Manuello refused to be drawn to discussing speculation: “I never comment on discussions.

OLIVIER TWIST

Olivier Giroud to Rangers? Steven Gerrard responds to transfer speculation

STEVEN GERRARD has played down talk linking Olivier Giroud with a shock move to Rangers.

Reports in France claimed Gers had made contact with the Chelsea striker, who is out of contract at the end of the season.

But speaking after the 1-0 win against Kilmarnock, Gerrard distanced himself from the speculation.

He said: "I’m getting linked with some good players.

"I don’t know anything about it to be honest, but if someone knows something give them my number.

"It’s the first I’ve heard - good player though."

Giroud looks set to quit Stamford Bridge in January having played just seven times for the Premier League side this season.

The France striker is set to hold showdown talks with Frank Lampard over his future, with interest from his homeland and the MLS.

Crystal Palace and Borussia Dortmund are also believed to be interested in his services, although it's understood his preferred destination is Inter Milan.

Giroud's agent Mickael Manuello refused to be drawn on the rumours yesterday, saying: "I never comment on discussions."

But Giroud admitted he is open to joining a new club in January as he battles for a place in Didier Deschamps' World Cup squad.

He said: "It will be difficult to stay at a Chelsea.

“I’m going to have a chat with the coach. Chances are, there will be a change because I don’t have enough time to express myself on the pitch.

“For the moment, I am a Chelsea player. I still have some games to play here before the transfer window opens [on January 1].

“Then we will sit around a table and find the best decision for me. France is one of the possible solutions."

Scottish Sun

df0a35e45e95526bd8ad11118c7e839f-1.png?w

Glenn Middleton returns to Rangers from Hibs

Glenn Middleton has returned to Rangers after his loan with Hibernian was cut short.

The winger, 19, was due to stay at Easter Road until summer.

He made just eight appearances for Hibernian, with his last outing on 30 October when he played 45 minutes of a 2-2 draw with Livingston.

A Scotland youth international, Middleton signed an 18-month deal with Rangers in January 2018, arriving from Norwich City.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50929491

It didn´t work for Middleton at Hibs but I still rate the lad as a player and we should bear in mind that he´s still only 19 years of age.

For me he offers more than Ojo and he´s our own player. That said, I´d imagine we´ll be looking at another loan move for the lad.

Never understood the reasoning behind this loan, given the circumstances. Dundee FC maybe, or some English team where he starts without any package.

Middleton sure is some impact player, usually was when used for the first team. Obviously, the left wing slot is covered by Kent, Jones and Barker now, but I think Middleton can also play through the middle, behind a main striker. It is, as with many players, more a thing of utilizing the squad we have, not going Plan A time and time again.