[FT] Celtic 0 - 2 Rangers (Goldson 9, 54)

8 hours ago, JohnMc said:

We learned a few things yesterday. Firstly the players Celtic had missing. I think it's true, they certainly weren't able to play their first choice starting 11 and in Christie, Eduarde and Julien that's 3 important players for them who'd almost certainly have started. But here's the thing many pundits seem to be missing; football is a squad game and Celtic's squad is not as deep as Rangers now. I'm not sure how that happened, or when it happened, but somehow what felt like a chasmic gap in squad quality has not only been bridged but been overtaken. Someone at our club deserves enormous praise for that and someone at Celtic's needs laughed at. How they've blown the serious financial advantage they still have over us is bewildering. But yesterday laid bare the reality of our squad. Had Rangers lost our first choice striker and leading creative force and second striker how would we have reacted. Well, we of course were missing our first choice striker in Roofe, so Morelos steps in. Had Morelos been injured Itten or Defoe would have played instead. That's decent depth in anyone's book. The guy Celtic had upfront looked poor yesterday. Apparently he's new and it would be foolish of me to write him off based on one match, he might still come good, but he looked a long way short of the quality Eduarde has. For me Kent is probably more valuable to our team as Christie is to theirs. Let's be blunt, losing  Kent would hurt us. He's been in great form this season, his running with the ball, his speed on the break, his work rate and his quality would be missed. How would we replace him? Jones, Hagi and Barker are the obvious replacements. None are as good as Kent and all have their weaknesses, but all know our system and have played in it, successfully, this season already. As for the centre-half if we lost say Goldson then Balogun would have played. He's looked pretty handy when he's played and while I'm not sure he's as good as Goldson he's not some kid from the reserves getting thrown in. And of course Katic, arguably our second choice centre-half, is already out injured. The other player they've spoken about is Forrest. Again a regular starter when fit. Fair enough, but we went into that match without Aribo a highly creative player and an almost certain starter had he not picked up an injury. So yes, Celtic missing key players undoubtedly gave us an advantage, but their inability to replace those players adequately is the real story here. 

I was fortunate enough to read the book 50 Greatest Rangers Games recently (buy it, it's excellent) and one of the things that struck me was how often a Walter Smith side, shorn of the big important players through injury or suspension, was able to get a result in an important match. Had Celtic, reigning Champions with home advantage, been able to get even a draw yesterday it would have been a big psychological victory for them. As it was they were made to look average and they know it. They've shown in previous seasons they can regroup and bounce back from defeats, but for some reason this felt different. We didn't celebrate like we'd won something tangible, in reality it was only 3 points, albeit an important 3, trooped off with big smiles but there was none of the over exuberance of previous victories over Celtic, nothing for Celtic's management team to pin on their noticeboard to motivate their squad. Celtic fans have turned on their manager, this result didn't seem to be a big surprise to them. Apparently their form has been poor this season, their new players haven't gelled and they've struggled anytime they've played someone good. Maybe. Their late goals in a match a few weeks ago felt to me like they still knew how to win when playing badly, something we're still to master, so the next few weeks will be interesting. Whatever happens yesterday felt different, like beating them wasn't the pinnacle of our ambition anymore. 

Lastly the lack of a home support. The referee was put under a lot of pressure before the match by Celtic leaning people. Apparently he's a big bluenose, not something anyone who has watched him referee us in the past would have realised. However, less than subtle pressure was applied pre-match and any dubious call by the ref would be getting the Sportscene treatment for sure. In the end the ref had a decent match and I think this is partly down to the absence of 60,000 people screaming every time Morelos challenges for a ball. Whatever anyone says I think the home support do influence, however involuntary, the ref and linesmen. I think the home side get most of the 50/50 calls and clashes between players seem worse when there's a baying mob screaming for justice. But without the baying mob the refereeing seems better I think. There are still mistakes of course, but by and large the players seem to accept the decisions more too. Without the loud backing of myopic hordes calling for everything, Celtic in particular looked a lot less aggressive than usual. This suits us because we're not a physical team, we aim to play football on the ground, and a stop start niggly match doesn't help us. 

Anyway, let's enjoy the victory and the manner of it. Had we put 4 past them, and that's certainly what I was screaming for midway through the 2nd half, that might have forced Celtic to do something. As it is a 2-0 win can be excused, explained away by injuries and Covid isolation and so hopefully nothing will change down Parkhead way. It's good to be a bluenose this weekend. 

Eduard and especially Julien have been dropped a lot this season.

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

I’ve no idea if anyone did leak their starting XI but if they did is Neily maybe smart enough to realise someone is trying to undermine him and that person maybe one of his superiors? ?

All is not well in their camp. We must capitalise.

Let's make hay while the sun shines 

1 hour ago, Ted McMinnime said:

I was copied into a text today from a close friend who had discussed yesterday's match with a Rangers Legend. I quote "We battered them with 9 men. Morelos and Barker didn't turn up"

I was slightly put out by that and when I watched the whole match today again, free of the angst and tension of it in live time, I paid particular attention to the 2 "accused". Morelos far from being posted missing was an absolute colossus. He worked tirelessly in the wider ares of the front line, his link up play and first touch was superb. His play stretched their back 3 and, in particular, he harassed Duffy and Brown in equal measure throughout. Sure, he plays on the edge and he had a number of sly kicks at both, but Brown has being doing this for years in OF games without any reprisal. The difference yesterday was the referee could not be influenced by 60 thousand racist bigots. Alfie played to instruction yesterday, it's a different role and as Bill says he's no longer a solo artist but a huge team player. He was first to join the goal celebrations and relished his role. When he is finally booked, look at the reaction he drew from that plank Duffy (who was hopeless at both goals conceded) he had wound him up so much!

Turning to Barker, I concede he played a more subdued role but he worked tirelessly up and down, providing cover when needed in the wide areas. He was subbed after second goal, but that was tactical to shore up our lead rather than lack of effort. 

Now, the Legend may know more about the game than I ever will, but that game was not won by only having 9 payers on the pitch. Every one of the original 11 played their part, it was a great team performance, fully engaged and deployed by our coaching staff. One final reflection, anyone else notice when cameras panned to the benches our coaching team huddled in tactical discussion while in contrast Lennon sat socially distanced from everybody? What's that about? ?

Well said Ted

1 hour ago, MacK1950 said:

It's good to see that posters are agreeing with what I suggested in a few of my posts that Alfie is playing in a different way to that of of previous seasons.?

Compare his linkup play for us compared Klimala for them. Night and day.