Taking the knee

I was wondering what people's views were with our players still having to kneel before kickoff.  I don't believe that the players have a choice in the matter and are being made to do so by the club.  Rugby has led the way with the Ireland team ditching it to a man and I think its about time we did the same.

As long as our players want to continue with it, I'll support them and if they want to ditch it, I'll also support then. 

Racism is still an issue, arguments could be if taking the knee is the correct way to tackle racism in football and wider society. 

This is a decision for the players and management to make. 

7 hours ago, gisabeer said:

I was wondering what people's views were with our players still having to kneel before kickoff.  I don't believe that the players have a choice in the matter and are being made to do so by the club.  ...

Pay more attention.  The players are clearly very happy to do this.

I'm not asking the players to make this gesture. I'll leave it up to them to decide to continue or stop.

If kneeling upsets some people then I really hope that it continues.

No one has to kneel, plenty of rugbyists never took the knee and it never caused any issues, it's entirely down to personal choice. It was a powerful message at first, at least in American football, but the issue is that it just becomes something we do, and as such is potentially rather ineffective.

I have no issue with our players doing it or not doing it, much like one of our players showing any political or religious message, we are a broad, welcoming kirk.

• Frankie changed the title to Taking the knee
24 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

For me it has lost all meaning and become mundane but they may well feel different.

To me this is the point and why TV stations continue to show it in match highlights will only keep the gesture alive.I turn these programmes on to see football not a political message.

Rangers won't make any player do this as it will be entirely up to the individual.

There is an argument the gesture is fairly inconsequential but these things are a personal choice so I'm not going to criticise anyone for their decision, either way.

1 hour ago, MacK1950 said:

To me this is the point and why TV stations continue to show it in match highlights will only keep the gesture alive.I turn these programmes on to see football not a political message.

There’s a certain choreography to it now. Zaha is right.

The players are on the pitch to work, not to express political views no matter how worthy.

1 hour ago, the gunslinger said:

should be up to the players. For me it has lost all meaning and become mundane but they may well feel different. 

They sure have my support whatever they decide. 

Taking a step back and thinking pragmatically, imagine some of the players decide "enough is enough" and stop taking the knee. I can fully envisage anything from strange looks to being downright ostracized from team members, fans and not least, the media looking for a story to blow up. That is where this stuff become "edgy".