The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Thread - Aaron Ramsey loan deal confirmed

13 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I always said he was a good player!
Their manager is on record as having said they have the best two centre backs in the country though, so it won’t be an area they are looking to strengthen. 

Aye--but he made that one mistake against Kilmarnock, so he's pish!

I agree-- Well--I thought he was alright. Certainly not at Josh's level... 👀 

30 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Aye--but he made that one mistake against Kilmarnock, so he's pish!

He was scapegoated for a long time because of that. He was a clearly a good centre back. 

Delighted with the news that Goldson is leaving, hope it is this window. Had one good season and I thank him for that, but from what i hear he has seemingly asked for £70Kpw, which is nonsensical.  He has cost us countless goals in big games by switching off, lack of pace and awareness, losing his man at set pieces a speciality. I thought he had turned the corner last season when he cut out all that nonsense and played consistently at a really high level, but this season he has went back to previous levels which is not good enough. 

Amazing fitness and a properly good pro and his contribution to 55 will never be forgotten, but I wont be sad to see the back of him. 

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Goldson cost us £3M, if I recall correctly?

We've certainly got our money's worth out of that deal. Four years service, in which he's barely missed a game.  

Unless it's to be closer to his family, I don't quite understand swapping European nights for a Championship scrap. 

Unless they can offer more money? That's possibly true. 

The average salary in the English Championship is circa £30k per week.  I'd imagine he could on that just now, or something around the £25-30k pw mark.  Plenty of scope, particularly for the richer teams with parachute payments from the EPL, to offer him a significant wage rise.   

35 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Delighted with the news that Goldson is leaving, hope it is this window. Had one good season and I thank him for that, but from what i hear he has seemingly asked for £70Kpw, which is nonsensical.  He has cost us countless goals in big games by switching off, lack of pace and awareness, losing his man at set pieces a speciality. I thought he had turned the corner last season when he cut out all that nonsense and played consistently at a really high level, but this season he has went back to previous levels which is not good enough. 

Amazing fitness and a properly good pro and his contribution to 55 will never be forgotten, but I wont be sad to see the back of him. 

I'll file that under "hot take".

I think we will notice when he is not around.

Let`s see how our support takes it should Goldson indeed sign for anyone else in this window. A large chunk of the Jambos didn`t take well to Souttar signing for us.

The thing with Goldson - or any other of our defenders* - might be that they are not challenged at Ibrox as they are with e.g. English teams. Yes, Goldson did generally well in Europe, but truth be told, in most games for Rangers we more or less start to look at him as someone able to play pin-point passes out of defence or headers at corners into the opposition`s box, rather than his defensive exploits. Similar to Tavernier. But that is not what managers in the English top and second tier would primarily look at when signing a centre-half, nor what he would face week in week out.

You do wonder what his (or our) real reasons for not offering a better / signing a new deals are. It would probably be the most "diplomatic" solution if he`d went because of family reasons etc. as it would keep the support off his back.

Meanwhile, Skov Olsen`s deal with Brugge seems to be edging closer, according to Danish sources.

* Unless there were good defenders before joining us, e.g. Barisic or Helander

Just now, the gunslinger said:

Yeah i liked Worrall 

Got a lot of bother, similar to Simpson these days. And IMHO, the latter did well enough (albeit against Stirling) as a left-sided CH in a back 3 or during his odd forays as a left wingback. IMHO, he didn`t harm his chances with Gio.