[FT] St Johnstone 0 - 1 Rangers (Kamara 3)

It was a hard watch, not that we were under much threat but you always feared that the defence would do something daft and let them in.

I'm sure Gio will feel vindicated in his team selection  and lack of substitutes. There was no need to chase the game, so why disrupt what they had.

Luckily we got an early goal and then our plan seemed to be - contain their play and if we get another goal, all well and good. If not, stopping them score will be enough.

I thought Morelos was the only one who had some spark. Often he was isolated but when he had others team mates around him, he was laying the ball off well.

The pitch was dreadful. Never seen so many headed balls in midfield.

Text between me and my son him when goal scored "that will do nicely" me "87 minutes to hold out"  after game  him" that was poor" me " at least we held on for the 87 minutes"  him "you called it right".😏

Another dreadful game to watch,awful pitch,poor play and maybe for once no criticism of referee.

42 minutes ago, Yorkie Bear said:

Luckily we got an early goal and then our plan seemed to be - contain their play and if we get another goal, all well and good. If not, stopping them score will be enough.

Thing is, we looked capable of doing that last season, all game, every game. We've regressed this season and just aren't capable of doing this so it really gives me the fear.

Need a big reaction from the players against Aberdeen who will be looking to win their final game of the season that seems to mean anything to them.

After a night`s sleep one might come to the conclusion that we`ve won ugly and had dire games before, during the 9NIAR years, before them and after. Yet, somehow I am still baffled that  we kept the same players on and played some stuff that we hadn`t seen since the Championship and earlier days.

You hope that Saturday will be different, yet my gut feeling says that we will see the same players in the same positions and the same tactic ...

Our defence is shaky and our attack isn't sufficiently clinical. We can all see that but I continue to believe our problems all stem from a midfield that only rarely seems to function and depends far too much on having Jack in harness, which is strange when you consider what we achieved without him last season but undeniable from what we've seen in recent weeks.

Too often we offer inadequate protection to our defence, denying them time and forcing them to abandon formation to do what defensive midfielders should be doing. But more importantly, the inability to combine secure possession with fast transition is effectively putting our forward players in the pockets of very ordinary defenders. The slightest pressure on the ball and our midfield is neutralised. Kamara hasn't had a decent game in months and will never make a sitting midfielder if he lives to be a hundred - last night only highlighted by comparison how Jack allows Lundstram to be effective and why that combination has been an essential part of our best recent performances. At times you would have thought we were playing head tennis in midfield or playing with a hand grenade - no one wanted possession of the ball and when they got it there was absolute panic to get rid of it. Our defence is denied secure passes forward and our forwards are having to receive passes when so tightly marked that the only option is to be barged in the back or a speculative flick round the defender. I don't think I've ever seen a game when we gave away possession so easily or so frequently.

With these team selections I'm afraid the league is already lost and all eyes are on a manager who may well be crushed by the pressure that's coming towards him.  His intransigence will be his downfall.

Edited by Bill

16 hours ago, der Berliner said:

What for? A Jack was not needed today. 

Aribo had about 5 mins of good football to show for, Kent was some sort of outlet but gave the ball away needlessly time and again ... or again showed no composure when it mattered. Arfield on the right didn`t know where he was supposed to play, that wing/attack-slot was seriously under-used. Our CMs/DMs entered one heading and flippflopping contest with their players after the other, there was hardly anyone putting a foot on the game. Davis and Ramsey must have watched that in utter disbelief - much like we did. It was obvious after some 30 mins (at the latest) that we hardly had any attacking outlet bar Morelos - even despite Saints played a rather expected open game. That was half a galaxy apart from the game we handed to Dortmund away ... and yet there was no reaction from the bench. 

Saturday can`t come quickly enough.

I guess I disagree, for me Jack is our most important midfielder and considering we scraped a 1-0 win then I'd say is needed.

I think I read somewhere that Greegs has conceded a goal to 75% of the shots he faced (on target). I wonder how many goals we'd have scored this season (and how many extra points we'd have) if we scored from 75% of shots we had on target (Hope that's worded correctly).... 

Looking back at the game last night we were dreadful for 85mins of the game. We were slow and sluggish, we looked uncomfortable with the system and tactics deployed, Balogun and Bassey looked like they played on with injuries, Aribo and Arfield were running on empty after half an hour and our front 2 were so far apart we had no link up play. 

The most baffling part was the lack of subs used. I think GVB only used 1 sub in the Motherwell draw and 'zero last night. Does the manager not trust the players on the bench? 

We can't play the same system / style / pace on Saturday as Aberdeen will as usual play the game like it's their World Cup Final.