His comments about not being able to compete are fecking haunting me. I keep hearing them in my head and seeing his emotionless face. It's such a completely defeatist attitude, really extraordinary. We should be going into any game with the understanding that it's 11 v 11 in the pitch and anything can happen, on our day we should be able to go toe to toe with anyone. Time is only making me more fecking angry about this.

Edited by PoohBear

You're right, it was a God awful thing to say, an act of pure stupidity.

It was also a manager scrabbling around for something, anything to excuse his feckless players. The manager is only one part of this defeatist equation and the players take most of the responsibility. The idea that the team underperforms because the manager has the wrong response to a humiliating defeat is unacceptable, as are the idea that the players should hide behind our discontent with something GvB said.

15 hours ago, Bill said:

You're right, it was a God awful thing to say, an act of pure stupidity.

It was also a manager scrabbling around for something, anything to excuse his feckless players. The manager is only one part of this defeatist equation and the players take most of the responsibility. The idea that the team underperforms because the manager has the wrong response to a humiliating defeat is unacceptable, as are the idea that the players should hide behind our discontent with something GvB said.

It is more about what Gio says/doesn't say.... before the game and if the players take it on board or work hard enough on it to make it work in a match.

Eg. Defending corners

And as soon as that first goes in against decent opposition, it won't be long until the second.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

It is more about what Gio says/doesn't say.... before the game and if the players take it on board or work hard enough on it to make it work in a match.

Eg. Defending corners

And as soon as that first goes in against decent opposition, it won't be long until the second.

With the best will in the world, I struggle to comment on what he doesn’t say. Although I do take your point. 

Having read this whole thread I think most of the Bluenoses who have the contributed to it have made fair assumptions regarding Gio’s statements. But as we are not in the know concerning his contract, and the possibility of a non disclosure in it, we don’t know if he is free to speak his mind, so they are only assumptions. Thanks to the European success we know Gio is no fool tactically. Is he responsible for the lack of form/effort from the majority of players, or are they inconsistent players. As we have seen their form/effort go up and down before Gio came in I will assume the players are just inconsistent. I support Gio as he is our manager, and I don’t see that changing soon. Changing managers & coaching staff again would only set us back. Imo we are far off being anywhere near the standard of my favourite Gers team, and much more hard work is needed.

On 12/09/2022 at 18:05, Graeme Ro55 said:

Having read this whole thread I think most of the Bluenoses who have the contributed to it have made fair assumptions regarding Gio’s statements. But as we are not in the know concerning his contract, and the possibility of a non disclosure in it, we don’t know if he is free to speak his mind, so they are only assumptions. Thanks to the European success we know Gio is no fool tactically. Is he responsible for the lack of form/effort from the majority of players, or are they inconsistent players. As we have seen their form/effort go up and down before Gio came in I will assume the players are just inconsistent. I support Gio as he is our manager, and I don’t see that changing soon. Changing managers & coaching staff again would only set us back. Imo we are far off being anywhere near the standard of my favourite Gers team, and much more hard work is needed.

Welcome to the forum, Graeme! :)

My fear with this postponement is that we've already had the stats that this is the first time we've conceded 4 goals in two successive games since 1982, when was the last time we conceded 4 goals in 3 successive games? Napoli don't look like pushovers here...