[FT] Rangers 1 (Arfield 17) - 7 Liverpool

56 minutes ago, buster. said:

What I meant by the remark is that the gap between the Scottish game's ability to generate revenue and the high end level is only going to keep widening.

The only way we can significantly reverse that tendency would be for a restructuring of the game that sees us play more games (lucrative) or move to a different and better league for revenue generation.

I am not saying it is likely.

At the moment, it obviously isn't.

-----------------------

You look at the game last night and football in general.

It'd almost be better if the Super League had went ahead and those wealthy clubs had gone off to play only each other. UEFA could have called their bluff and closed the door. 

That obviously is fantasy given UEFA are addicted to cash.

Oh right, so now we need the whole of football to be restructured. Not just a switch of association.

You are switching from one fantasy to another.

Go compare our revenue five years ago to our revenue today.

53 minutes ago, buster. said:

I remember Scotland getting beaten 5-0 by Portugal and it became known as the night a team died.

Collectively, this Champions League campaign looks like finally putting paid to much of the current squad.

Recruitment and building another squad obviously won't happen quickly, but when it does we need to see a new first team manager in charge.

Questions need to be asked of Ross Wilson as well, prior to the next managerial appointment.

The above will cost a lot of money, that I don't believe we have.

New FFP regulations will probably further complicate matters.

A good thing we have been doing, is investing in our academy.

That pathway is going to become well trodden.

What there is no guarantee our academy (or any club’s academy) will produce young players of the calibre we want

Edited by RANGERRAB

Last night was somewhat of a freak result (thanks Jurgen) but too many issues now remain prevalent and it appears increasingly obvious Gio cannot fix them. Is it the nuclear option to get rid now or the prudent one giving any new man a season to develop their own team/style?

For many the answer will seem obvious but with an aging squad and apparently minimal cash to invest in it, can we really rely on wheeling and dealing to deliver success? Player trading model agreeable but who goes for big money in this current squad now?

This shows the issues we have go beyond Gio. To allow three erstwhile key players/assets to move into their last year of contract is bad enough but no joined up thinking with regard to the squad's profile is stark (look at our midfield). Leadership seems missing throughout club.

Finally it's fair not to overreact to a bad result. Just reaching the CL group stage was an achievement in a group many would find challenging. That's the only factor saving the manager right now and domestic improvement may be found. But, to me, he's a dead man walking.

I'm genuinely not sure where we go from here. Someone has to be accountable for our inconsistent (at best) form this season, our team's lack of ability and awful squad planning. Board perhaps between a rock and a hard place but they cannot hide. This is THE key moment.

What we honestly need is someone with the drive and experience (football experience) that Gerrard had. It's pretty clear he overhauled most of the club on his own terms. Since that was taken from him we've gone backwards. 

13 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

What there is no guarantee our academy (or any club’s academy) will produce young players of the calibre we want

Agreed

Our general level was/is dependent on good recruitment and management, with a small part down to youth development.

Going forward, Youth development will have to feature more prominently within the mix.

11 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

I’m not making any excuses but the loss of Goldson was huge. We were playing well and looking pretty organised. Then Jack went off too.

Agreed but it says a lot that we couldn't replace them.  King has a bright future ahead of him and I was really disappointed by Tav's efforts to hep him through the game.

And the decision to put Davis on - who really struggled last week at Anfield - was bizarre with Sands available who would at least be able to offer defensive cover.

43 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

We are playing at our highest level in over a decade.

Despite this you say that the manager, the squad and the director of football are all substandard.

Classic over reaction to a bad result.

Much of the squad have gone past their sell by date and it is showing.