[2022] Who should be the next Rangers manager?

Who should be the next Rangers manager?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next Rangers manager?

• Sean Dyche
    • Mick Beale
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Ralph Hassenhuttl
    • Kevin Muscat
    • Rino Gattuso
    • David Martindale
    • Domenico Tedesco
    • Peter Bosz
    • Kjetil Knutsen
    • Barak Bakhar
    • Other (name in thread)

This poll is closed to new votes

People, and not just on here,  seem to be looking for some kind of Scottish 'flavour' to coaching: either a Scottish manager/head coach or a foreigner with a Scottish 2 i/c. I think that there are two reasons for this -and laying aside arguments about whether there is an indigenous Scottish coaching style, and, if there is, whether it is any good (and, if the former is answered in the positive, we ken,weel, the answer to the latter)- to wit:

1. We need someone with knowledge and experience of the 'Scottish game', the SPL  etc. I find this unconvincing, and one need only look at the woeful record of SPL teams in Europe, for, say the last ten years, or so, with one honourable exception (if you have to ask, you shouldn't be here): this is nothing short of abysmal, and was joined this season by Rangers, to its eternal black, burning shame. The point, however, is that foreign teams under foreign managers/coaches, with foreign staff, have consistently swatted away, with impunity, the challenge of Scotland's 'better' sides. Continentals, by the score, have remained unmoved and unfazed by Scottish fitba'. Thus, I find it difficult to pinpoint any mystique, which only someone steeped in it can fathom, and overcome, whatsoever. 

(Sorry, but you might want -need- to think, also, about the fat okker, up the road, in this regard. He doesn't seem to struggle domestically, but give him some opposition from abroad... )

2. We need someone who 'gets' the Club.  Again, I am unconvinced. It seems pretty straightforward, and, yet, there is a thread adjacent, of several pages, filled with sage observations about what the Club is, what it means, etc. and from reading, I should have to say that there isn't actually a consensus. This is unsurprising, as I have long held to the view : two Rangers' supporters - three opinions. Of course, it might mean just that everyone commenting is being particularly mealy-mouthed....

The issues, when we don't actually know and, or agree, what 'getting it is', are, of course, how can a manager/coach 'get it', and how do we all know he has 'got it'. 

If we are to demand that 'getting it' is a major criterion, then all I can suggest - and this could figure in both job and person spec- is that any candidate worthy of consideration must possess, and be able to demonstrate, the wisdom of Solomon, as such is needed to persuade us all that he 'gets it'.

The kicker is whether this principle should be ranked above any examination of qualifications, experience and achievements in fitba'.

I apologise if this sounds a little arch, but I am trying to be helpful.

(For what its worth, I should have Marcelo Bielsa, with Dick Campbell as Assistant. 

Bielsa could do the coaching, and Dick the bonding. A pre Christmas evening visit to a flapping track in Fife would set a good tone, imo.)  

Mick Beale might well be the man for Rangers but let no one say it wouldn't be a huge gamble. He has managed QPR for ten minutes, which is scant preparation for the Rangers job. I don't doubt his coaching skills but I wonder if he has the strength of character to hold the attention of a Rangers dressing room.

That said, you'd have to be very naive to think he rolled up at Ibrox the other week out of pure coincidence.

I am being honest here, I have no idea who to vote for.  Thankfully it is not my job to know.  I just hope we are some way down the line of appointing someone and that the decision was either not take today or there is a constantly updated database of suitable managers.

Edited by Blue Moon

2 hours ago, Yorkie Bear said:

And it's a fine time of year to go to Gullane

Never been to Gullane...but if it is anything like Galway in November.

Trying to fix an airplane in 25 knot winds...and rain.

Never forget that shithole.