[FT] Servette 1 - 1 Rangers (Tavernier 51)

Huge night ahead for the club with money and prestige at stake against Servette in Geneva. I'm leaning to a diamond along the lines below which not only offers a solid defensive shape but offers a platform for our attacking players to express themselves in forward areas.

F3k-GNdbMAEJhA3?format=jpg&name=large

I didn't see a huge amount from the Swiss side last week at Ibrox but I would expect them to have a different starting team and perhaps be a bit more expansive in front of a capacity home crowd. Vital we concentrate, avoid mistakes and take any chances that come our way.

• Frankie changed the title to Servette v Rangers
17 hours ago, CammyF said:

Goldson will play instead of Balogun, Lammers will start and I have a feeling that Wright will play at least some part of the game.

I agree Goldson will come back in (as always) and it seems Lammers is another MB fav so I would be shocked if he didnt start but I just dont see where he fits into our team, and for what i've seen to date he doesnt really have a precise role, but isnt good enough to be a floater either. Early days I accept.

I was really just picking what I think is our best 11 from those available from what i've seen of them so far. I dont think Sima is in our best 11 but for this game we need that pace for an outball so he is the "Kent" replacement role as Lammers doesnt appear to have much pace and I dont see Wright being a starter. Will be really interesting to see the line-up, not long now.

21 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I agree Goldson will come back in (as always) and it seems Lammers is another MB fav so I would be shocked if he didnt start but I just dont see where he fits into our team, and for what i've seen to date he doesnt really have a precise role, but isnt good enough to be a floater either. Early days I accept.

I was really just picking what I think is our best 11 from those available from what i've seen of them so far. I dont think Sima is in our best 11 but for this game we need that pace for an outball so he is the "Kent" replacement role as Lammers doesnt appear to have much pace and I dont see Wright being a starter. Will be really interesting to see the line-up, not long now.

I hardly think a player that the manager has forked out decent money for and has 3 games under his belt can be deemed a MB favourite. Perspective please.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

58 minutes ago, yuddie said:

Said it before and I'll say it again, if we're projected 3rd seeds in the UCL we should aim for 3rd in group and a drop to the UEL. If the club has ambitions at least.

Easier said than done obviously.

I just don't want us to make our bed in the UEL.

All of that written above is hugely dependent upon the luck of the draw IMO.

2 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

All of that written above is hugely dependent upon the luck of the draw IMO.

Aye that's true, aren't Newcastle supposed to be 4th seeds this season?

Don't get me wrong I loved the resurgence in Europe under Gerrard in the UEL and to be fair, we've probably never had a sustained period of success/progress in Europe like that before but I also love seeing our club in the Premier club competition.

Maybe I'm just a fantasist haha.

44 minutes ago, Bill said:

If Goldson is so indispensable, how come he can’t play on the left side and leave Souttar on the right?

Been asking that for awhile mate, I know @Gonzo79 (I think) said the praise is hyperbole, which is fair, but I still hold that Souttar has a higher ceiling or the raw ingredients to be a better defender.

Beale was a bit short with the Tav question the other day and I have no doubt he'd be the same if you asked that at a press conference, problem is Beale knows what he has in Goldson at RCB and Souttar at LCB..question is would he risk for better with Souttar at RCB?

Personally I'd love to see it.

6 minutes ago, yuddie said:

I know @Gonzo79 (I think) said the praise is hyperbole

That was in relation to the Livi MOTM thread.  

The evidence shows Souttar, Balogun and Goldson will all make errors from time to time but Souttar has more time to improve on that side of his game than the other two.

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

That was in relation to the Livi MOTM thread.  

The evidence shows Souttar, Balogun and Goldson will all make errors from time to time but Souttar has more time to improve on that side of his game than the other two.

Aye, that's why I wouldn't waste a season or two of his Rangers career on the left side..especially for an ageing Goldson.

Edited by yuddie