[FT] PSV 5 - 1 Rangers (Tavernier 64)

It was a hard one to take but, if we are honest and we must be honest; I suspect most of us sat down to view with more hope than expectation?

The Manager's post match interview was alarming. Rightfully, he praised PSV's front two, Saibari and de Jong. However, throwing the defence under the bus was naughty. Yep, we were well beaten and it could have been a more severe rout. Losing five is not a good look for the defence but, PSV were relentless, no hesitation in coming through our forwards and midfielders, we did not have the physicality nor the will to stop them. The forwards hardly won or retained a ball in the first half. The midfield were truly woeful for the entire game. Certainly, they did not protect the defence.

Again, out of possession we are too narrow. One pass to either Lang or Bakayoko and they stood up both our full backs. I thought Barisic did a reasonable job in curtailing the right winger. It became even more apparent when he went off injured and Sterling clearly struggled with the same player. The midfield have got to offer more protection against better sides.  Our Keeper made three very good saves and he is part of the defence.

Michael Beale will be relying upon the same defence on Sunday.

15 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

Hell yeah! 

Still in Europe after that rectal dilation.

Still the opportunity to make money.

Still the opportunity to get the Rangers brand out there to the mass.

BESIDES.  

I have stated on here multiple times that we are a Europa level side.

I think we showed that this evening…

the naked gun facepalm GIF

1 minute ago, ranger_syntax said:

Compare and contrast.

And where do you see the negative? 

Your inability to differentiate Honest critique from your own dour negativity?

Did I not exercise effective group think?

Was my timing off for honest reveal?

Mental.

4 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I don't disagree with a lot of these points, but surely there are valid criticisms to be made?

(If we're looking for an identity after 9 months (MB tenure), that's quite damning.)

Putting our heads in the sand and saying, 'well—they're a CL side, so we've no chance' is pointless. It's up to the club to get the best out of the resources we have. I don't think we're doing that. 

I was referring more to finding an identity with this new bunch of players. Beale has primarily worked with someone else's players for the bulk of his stewardship therefore I'm willing to give him time. Will they come good? I'm not sure tbh. There seems to be more questions than answers at the moment but what is the alternative? Ditch a manager at the start of the season>take time to find a new manager>derail our season>hand another title to them. 

In one hand I'm hugely disappointed by the what happened tonight but on the other hand, I'm not surprised. We are simply not ready to compete with this level of team as IMO PSV are the standout team in the section of the qualifiers. They have very effective front players and will give teams a decent game in the CL. 

Just go and bloody win on Sunday. Weirdly enough, I feel that this result tonight has made me more confident about beating them. We need a reaction and I can't think of better game to show it. 

For some reason I'm longing for Kent at the moment.

Beale's honeymoon period was over months ago but for some reason it seems to have a new lease because of the turnover of players. But all these incomings are his signings and you would at least think he had an inkling of what he wants to do - I'd actually say he had more of a clue last season. And what about Cantwell - I dont want to single him out but I'd have had him as my favourite for POTY this season but he looks a shadow of himself at the moment. Granted its early days to gel the new players but having read the thread some posters have mentioned they are seeing the same things as past years. 

Beale's stock hasnt quite dropped yet, its obvious he was the brains behind Gerrard and everyone saw how QPR dropped like a stone when he left but sometimes in football people are just far more suited to being a number 2 or 3. But we have to start seeing progression and Sunday is an absolute must win. 

3 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Ditch a manager at the start of the season>take time to find a new manager>derail our season>hand another title to them. 

If a train is heading in the wrong direction, it's wise to consider changing things.

I wouldn't be sacking Beale just now but if things don't start improving soon, it needs to be considered.

8 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Was it tactics/formation or the midfielders playing poorly though?  I'd say about 70/30.  

Midfield played badly for 3 of the 4 halves. Raskin and Cifu are young players learning to play at a higher level and looked lost / caught in the headlights. Last night Cantwell was the same. Just have to hope they learn and improve.