[FT] PSV 5 - 1 Rangers (Tavernier 64)

24 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

What is going on with Danilo?  Has Beale spent £6m on a player he's not sure how to use?

I'm genuinely a bit baffled about what his plan is with Danilo and Dessers. I think they might work well together but not sure what Beale thinks because their usage has been a bit all over the place.

I'm now genuinely baffled where Beale is taking the club. I've no idea what his footballing vision is, what his primary objectives are or what his metrics are for assessing his own and the team's performance.

Some of his tactical decision making is so opaque that I'm starting to worry he might not actually have a coherent plan and that he's simply been sheltering behind his predecessor's failure and a barrage of words. I hope I'm reading this wrong but if an amateur like me is becoming concerned, what's being said in the dressing room?

6 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

As has been said above, yesterday was probably 70 % about wrong tactics, 30 % about players.

I'd say that 60% was the quality of the opposition. Yes, the tactics may not have been great and the players weren't all it but PSV were excellent.

I listened to a pre-match review on H&H and they said that PSV wouldn't improve midfield and attack but they did. They win 90% of games against us playing like that IMO, no matter the tactics or performance of our players.

Sometimes we need to acknowledge that we were beaten by a better side. That's obviously not to say that we couldn't have improved on several aspects but I still don't see us getting any sort of result if we had.

14 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

What's the general consensus on how much time? Interested in what people think. 

It depends on whether or not we see some sense of progression and direction emerging but if the current mystifying situation continues into November then there's little point wasting more time with him. 

We've become a club that gambles on inexperienced managers - Warburton, Caixinha, Gerrard, Van Bronckhorst, Beale - and very little of it has come off. Personally, I'm struggling to see what has changed since last season, other than a suggestion we might actually have gone backwards.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

It depends on whether or not we see some sense of progression and direction emerging but if the current mystifying situation continues into November then there's little point wasting more time with him. 

We've become a club that gambles on inexperienced managers - Warburton, Caixinha, Gerrard, Van Bronckhorst, Beale - and very little of it has come off. Personally, I'm struggling to see what has changed since last season, other than a suggestion we might actually have gone backwards.

What worries me about Beale is most of the players he’s bought don’t seem to be as a good as the ones he’s let go. 

25 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Good question. Dessers is fine for the Scottish game, solid centre forward (we might just as well have kept Colak). In Europe, we need skill alongside that, and Danilo looks quite good. Maybe he's not fully fit, but's what you want to know from the manager. It's also quite easy to forget about Roofe, who, IMHO, would do well alongside Danilo.

As has been said above, yesterday was probably 70 % about wrong tactics, 30 % about players. As with Danilo, unless he was unfit, Jack should have started last night. Our wing-backs were leaving large spaces for their wingers to exploit, and they did time and again - with Raskin and Cifuentes not knowing whether to stick or twist. With effectively 7 defensive players, they still cut us open for fun, how de Jong was allowed to bully his way through our area was astonishing. A "proper" CM like Hurlock would have left a mark or two.

Like it or not, but the defensive issues have not gone away. Goldson these days is Premiership material at best, Davies not really suited and/or trusted. Why we did not rely on the experience of Balogun last night is also baffling - if not from the start, then later on. Those few moments that we pressed them, they looked vulnerable, but instead of building on this, we kept it running till we were out of it - and even then essentially switched like for like.

If MB goes in like that against the Scum on Sunday ...

I agree with this, but I don't see how Danilo can be unfit: he was on fire for Feyenoord during their full pre-season. 

1 minute ago, RANGERRAB said:

What worries me about Beale is most of the players he’s bought don’t seem to be as a good as the ones he’s let go. 

I think that's slowly dawning on a lot of the Rangers support.

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

When I said this disgusting may have been the term you used. 

Said for months that we'd only realise what players like Kent and Alfie brought to us once they had left. 

A very large majority wanted Kent and Alfie released, a long with all the other "serial losers". 

Well, we've gotten rid of a lot of players who fall into that category and now, we want them all back 😀