[FT] PSV 5 - 1 Rangers (Tavernier 64)

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Veerman is Dutch, which maybe explains that one.

However, our wages aren't that different from PSV's and we have recently competed well in Europe, so I think your point is largely irrelevant. 

How is it irrelevant. How do you know we didn't try and sign similar players? 

4 minutes ago, CammyF said:

How do you know we didn't try and sign similar players? 

Neither you nor I are party to that kind of information. 

Footballers are inclined to go where they'll be paid the most, I'd have thought.  

14 minutes ago, CammyF said:

They are a more attractive option for players. We couldn't sign the players they've signed. Veerman proves that. 

We bought Arthur Numan from PSV, which means we must be a more attractive option. Numan proves that.

11 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Neither you nor I are party to that kind of information. 

Footballers are inclined to go where they'll be paid the most, I'd have thought.  

Butland certainly didn't.

If we are paying similar wages, not many are going to chose Scottish football.

17 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

We bought Arthur Numan from PSV, which means we must be a more attractive option. Numan proves that.

Oh come on that was in 1998 - the football World has moved on considerably since those days (and got us in a whole lot of financial bother).

We also signed Laudrup and Gazza from Italy, does us make us more attractive than Seria A?

Oh, and how did we get on in the CL with the likes of Numan, Gazza, Laudrup, Boli etc? 

14 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

I think we have to compare like with like?

In 1998, we signed Dutch international left back, Artur Numan from PSV for £5 million. That's 25 years past.

In 1968, we signed Scottish international centre forward, Colin Stein from Hibs for £100,000. That's 55 years past.

Today, we are not signing the Dutch international left back, nor the Scottish international centre forward. Reference Joey Veerman, he has one international cap for Holland and he preferred PSV over us. We were hoping to sign him on a free and offered him an attractive package. There is a trend and it is clearly not a good one for Rangers.

During last night's match, the commentator, Rory Hamilton mentioned a stat'. I do not know if it is true but it sounded so. The Dutch league receives £140 million per season from TV, our latest deal running from next season until 2029 is for £29.5 million per season. Neil Doncaster and Murdoch MacLennan signed off on a deal worse than the arrangement with Setanta agreed in 2012.

In future, the underlying trend will ensure more Filip Sebos than Colin Steins.

The question that simply has to be addressed is why have so many new signings all failed to hit the ground running? As far as I can see only Jack Butland and perhaps Leon Balogun have shown any semblance of form or ability. How could this have happened? 

Based on the performances so far of Lammers, Danilo, Dessers, Sima, Dowell, Cifuentes and Sterling it's unlikely any club would pay money for their services. Did we sign the wrong players? Did we fail to do proper diligence? Who bears responsibility for the recruitment choices? Or did we sign credible players but have been unable or unwilling to settle any of them into a coherent system? How is it possible we could have spent so much money, signed so many players and delivered so little in the way of improvement?

I don't think these are unreasonable questions. Given the start to the season we've witnessed, perhaps it's time Michael Beale was asked for his responses. 

My post was tongue in cheek, but also was made to point out the ridiculousness of the argument. In the past few years, whilst we are at a bit of a low, we've signed Croatian, Scottish, Turkish, Welsh, Swedish, Swiss and more national team players, we aren't some barren wasteland. We made the Europa League final, it's daft to suggest we don't have the pull of the likes of PSV. You could argue that over the last few years we had more of a pull, after all we have had a decent recent track record against PSV until this season. 

The reality is that PSV have come from further behind than us and overtaken us in the space of a year.

Edited by PoohBear

18 minutes ago, Bill said:

Based on the performances so far of Lammers, Danilo, Dessers, Sima, Dowell, Cifuentes and Sterling it's unlikely any club would pay money for their services. Did we sign the wrong players

Looks like it. Not many had heard of any of them apart from Sima who previously played against Rangers and I don’t think we had to fight off stern competition for their services.