[2023] Who should be the next Rangers manager?

Next Rangers manager?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your preferred choice as the next manager of Rangers?

• Derek McInnes
    • Kevin Muscat
    • Frank Lampard
    • Neil Warnock
    • Kjetil Knutsen
    • Scott Parker
    • Pascal Jansen
    • Steven Davis
    • Marcelo Gallardo
    • Graham Potter
    • Philippe Clement
    • Ralph Hasenhuttl

I haven't got a preference or a clue who would be best suited to come in and get a tune out of this lot.

Thinking as i used to manage a boys club for a number of years with no DOF in place with me handling recruitment, team selection, tactics, funding, washing and ironing strips (with help from my missus of course) ensuring pitch was lined and playable, fighting with the odd parent etc i could possibly be in with a shout. 

Clement looks a reasonable choice but I would have a preference for Knutsen.  Clement has done well with Club Brugge and Genk but both these clubs are top teams and it would have been disappointing if he had not maintained them near the top of the league.  In that sense I am not sure he has provided added value.  Knutsen has managed Bodo Glimt a club with a more chequered league history and in that sense he has added value to the club and this is supported by their performance in European competitions where for the size of the club they have done well notably beating Celtic.

I can see why McInnes does not gain much support for the way his teams plays football but his win record for Aberdeen is probably as good as he would expect and in that sense he did a reasonable job with them.  Lampard had a reasonable win record with Everton a club that is in the doldrums but his record elsewhere is poor but then again we appointed Gerrard who had no record as a manager and did well with us but flopped at Aston VIlla.

I don't much about Gallardo but think he would be quite a risky appointment because of his lack of experience in European club management but agree he has a good record with River Plate.  In any case I doubt he would be interested in moving to Rangers.

The thing we should be looking at is the character of the next manager. We need someone, who can motivate and is not afraid to drop people.

I must admit, I doubted Gerrard, was excited when we got GVB and then Beale. Both had been around the block a few times, had learnt from different managers, different countries etc. However after listening to them, watching their tactics (and lack of plan b) , have now become more jaded with it all.

My feeling is that while it would be good to have a Clement/gallardo, is worry about things being lost in translation. So for me, .. I'm leaning towards Muscat,.

https://www.hln.be/voetbal/philippe-clement-nadrukkelijk-in-beeld-bij-glasgow-rangers-voorlopig-nog-geen-akkoord~a3580a38/

Philippe Clement emphatically in the picture at Glasgow Rangers, no agreement yet

Philippe Clement (49) is emphatically in the picture to become the new coach of Glasgow Rangers. This week all parties sat around the table to make their vision and conditions known. Clement then got back on the plane, without an agreement for the time being.

The former champion maker of Club Brugge and RC Genk wants to make the right choice after his adventure at AS Monaco. While Glasgow Rangers is a big, sounding name in that regard, the Scottish league is not highly regarded. It's the same song every year: either Celtic or Rangers taking the national title. Frank Lampard (ex-Chelsea) and Pascal Janssen (AZ) are also on the shortlist of the club where Dessers (ex-Genk) and Raskin (ex-Standard) are now working.

Clement, in turn, enjoys interest in addition to the far-reaching interest of Glasgow Rangers. For example, his name is still on the wish list of Al-Shabab (Saudi Arabia), among others, but Clement already indicated a few months ago that the sporting and the family prevail for him. He then ignored offers from the desert. Likewise, after a year and a half, Clement announced Monaco that he did not want to return to the Belgian competition. Some clubs from the Jupiler Pro League still In vain. Curious which club will soon be able to convince him, because in the Middle- East they dare to be quite persistent.

Sure, why not. 

He seems legit. 

Won some stuff.

Has anyone heard him speak English?

I can't find anything...only Dutch and French.

That's gonna be weird if so...not that I listen to manager PC's.

But still...

Whilst the interest in Clement is some welcome news / development, its been offset by reports that Lampard and Muscat are apparently into the next round of interviews. 

Edited by CammyF