Establishment Club Grab The Advantage

Written by Harry Brady

a typical mhanks view to why they wont win the league

Those of us who are a bit longer in the tooth than the Green Brigade will know that the establishment always comes out to protect their own in a tight title race. Regardless of our performance Saturday, and opinions on the manager's ability, it cannot be doubted that despite the "fixture chaos" matters have contrived to give Rangers a competitive advantage this season and the old maxim that cheating doesn't pay is nonsense.

We should have known what was coming earlier in the season when the first game between us resulted in 9 bookings at Ibrox. As I pointed out in Punters Corner, the number of bookings for us in that game were completely at odds with our record in all other games this season. But one of the most essential aspects of football is momentum, everyone says that winning is a habit and breeds a winning attitude. It is also well accepted that playing at home also gives you a competitive advantage and what situation are we looking at tonight?

As we know both Old Firm games played in the league have occurred at Ibrox - a competitive advantage. Also out of 30 games played, we have had 16 away (inc 2 at Ibrox) and 14 at home. Rangers have had 17 at home and just 12 away. Not their fault you might say as the weather played a big part - well no. They paid Gretna off to postpone the away game at Fir Park and their away tie before the Scotland v Italy game was postponed. Moreover what made this tie so significant was that it was an away leg immediately following a Champions League tie. Their record under McLeish and Smith away following a European tie is very poor so having this game rearranged was a massive plus for them. Then there is the Scotland fiasco.

They withdrew 4 players from the Scotland squad who ALL played and started on Saturday, despite Fifa rules allowing the SFA to prevent all 4 from playing is they suspected that they were not really injured. The only conclusion to this is that cheating pays.

Confused fae Hamilton needs to have this cleared up please... :P

Nah, they wanted the game postponed because of injuries, illness, suspensions, the fact that we hadn't sold Hutton and they hadn't signed their right back.

But I'm sure that's what you really meant to say. :D

Ummmm, yep - that is EXACTLY what I meant to say.

I should have said the "official reason" they wanted it postponed was P O'D's passing.

It was obvious they wanted it postponed as Hutton was still here but looking like leaving and McGeady was suspended - etc etc etc.

Yet here we are the ones justifying THEIR paranoia !

One unpleasant fact is that McGeady does have Broadfoot on pace, where as Hutton could give him a start and still beat him.

I was shouting at the TV for the first 60 mins of the game for Broadfoot to show McGeady inside !!

McGeady had Broadfoot for pace every time he had the ball yet Broadfoot continually showed him outside, knowing full well he would get skinned for pace. When you dont have the pace you should force the player inside where you can get help.

Broadfoot isnt an RB though so hopefully we can get Papac or Smith back for LB and then have Whittaker over that side.

Notice how WS beat Chesney tactically though.... in the 1st half Celtic were outplaying us primarily because IMO Samaras was dropping off the front line and because McGeady was skinning Broadfoot.

In the 2nd half WS made some tactical changes and both Samaras and McGeady were pretty much non-existent.

Chesney is having a laugh if he thinks he can compete tactically with WS !

I knew the excuse of having 2 OF games at Ibrox would surface right to the top excuse.

Whats the bets on them claiming 2 OF games in a row at Parkhead will somehow be a disadvantage to them also :fish:

Is it not generally accepted that in Europe it is an advanatage to play your away game first? Extrapolate that and Celtic clearly have the advantage on both counts - one engineered by themselves...

Are they saying Celtic are cheating?

I was shouting at the TV for the first 60 mins of the game for Broadfoot to show McGeady inside !!

McGeady had Broadfoot for pace every time he had the ball yet Broadfoot continually showed him outside, knowing full well he would get skinned for pace. When you dont have the pace you should force the player inside where you can get help.

Broadfoot isnt an RB though so hopefully we can get Papac or Smith back for LB and then have Whittaker over that side.

Notice how WS beat Chesney tactically though.... in the 1st half Celtic were outplaying us primarily because IMO Samaras was dropping off the front line and because McGeady was skinning Broadfoot.

In the 2nd half WS made some tactical changes and both Samaras and McGeady were pretty much non-existent.

Chesney is having a laugh if he thinks he can compete tactically with WS !

Craig,I must be missing something,in all the years I played and was coached,it was always best to show players wide,away from goals !!!!