Summer 2008 Transfer Rumours Thread

Jorg Albertz says Kenny Miller could be an Ibrox hit despite fan opposition

May 31 2008 By David McCarthy

JORG ALBERTZ never did realise his ambition to make a return to Rangers before hanging up his boots.

The closest he got was a reunion with John Brown and Andy Goram at the end of last season when he helped keep Clyde afloat in the First Division.

But the German, who left Ibrox with a heavy heart under Dick Advocaat in 2001, is watching with interest as two of his former teammates edge closer to pulling on a Rangers jersey for a second time.

Kenny Miller will be almost certainly unveiled as a Rangers player for the second time in the near future, while Peter Lovenkrands is agitating for a return that would be more welcomed by the support than the Derby County striker's arrival.

Then again they'd rather see Filip Sebo back than Miller, whose "crime" was to cross the city, play for Celtic and celebrate wildly scoring a goal against Rangers.

Albertz knows all that and believes Miller will have his work cut out to win over the Rangers fans for a second time.

But he trusts Walter Smith's judgment and claims if the manager believes Miller can be an asset the supporters should give him another chance.

That said the 37-year-old can also understand the resentment felt by the support and while he acknowledges Miller's right to do what he likes with his career, Albertz insists he could never have signed for Celtic having played for Rangers.

He said: "I wouldn't have gone to Celtic anyway. Not after playing for Rangers and being so accepted by their fans.

"But when Kenny was at Wolves he got an offer from Celtic - and I don't mind saying they are a good club - and decided for football reasons it was the best thing for his career to go there.

"That was his decision but I'm sorry, if you've played for Rangers you don't go to Celtic. That's my opinion.

"Maybe these days things have changed a little bit and it is not the way it was in my time or the time before me.

"But Walter has to look at getting good players in who can do the job for Rangers and have success again.

"They won two cups but they must win the league next season.

That must be the priority and if the manager thinks Kenny can help Rangers do that then his opinion has be trusted, where the player played for Celtic or not."

However, Albertz believes Miller's industry and whole-hearted approach to the game can turn around the opinions of those who don't want him back at Ibrox.

He added: "It will be difficult for Kenny, to be honest. He'll know the fans are unhappy but he has experienced that before when it took him a long time to be accepted by the Celtic supporters.

"He'll have to do it again with Rangers. But if he performs well, shows the right attitude and gives everything for the club - which he should do - then maybe they will take to him again.

"I played with Kenny and he is a talented player. In my time he was a young kid there but you could tell he had potential. He made great progress and is an established international player.

"It's up to the gaffer, of course, if he thinks a player can help the team.

And you also have to look at the money he has to spend as well.

"If he can't spend a huge amount he has to look at players in his price range and if Kenny fits that why not go for him?"

As for Lovenkrands, his former team-mate Albertz believes he is coming to the prime time in his career and Rangers could be the beneficiaries.

The Dane was never universally acclaimed at Ibrox but in his six years he scored vital Champions League and Old Firm goals, ironically finding his best form in his last six months when being played through the middle.

Lovenkrands moved to Schalke two years ago and after an initially successful spell in the Bundesliga he struggled to hold down a starting slot last term.

Now the attacker, who has a Scottish wife, wants to return to Glasgow and Albertz believes the move could be beneficial to Rangers and the player.

He said: "I played with Peter and everybody knows what he can give a team - genuine pace and the ability to score goals.

"The problem at Schalke was he had an injury that kept him out for a long time and when he came back couldn't find his normal standard.

"That meant he spent time on the bench and when Schalke got a new manager he didn't play Peter as much. Schalke are a big club with a talented squad so he found it hard to get back into the team and I'm not too surprised he is looking to leave.

"I'm also not surprised to learn he is keen to go back to Rangers. They are that kind of club - once you have played there you know it is difficult to find anywhere better. He knows all about Rangers and like many others before him he has tried football somewhere else and now his first choice will be to return to Ibrox.

"I've no doubt Peter could do a job for Rangers. He's definitely still got his pace and at 28 is just coming to the prime time in his career.

"He has quality and is the kind of player who could play in any team because he is quick and knows how to score goals.

"If he has space in front of him and someone like Barry Ferguson feeding him the ball he can hurt any defence because he is like lightning when he is through on goal.

"You can't blame Peter for letting Walter know that he wants to come back!"

No.........but i'd take him before PL,he's a lazy chunt who plays now and again,far too inconsistent

don't want any of them back, i couldn't choose to be honest.

one has ability but is a lazy git and plays well in about 20% of the season, another buffel IMO. the other trys like fcuk beats his man with pace but can't hit the target from 3 yards out. neither good enough to make us improve IMO..

"I'm also not surprised to learn he is keen to go back to Rangers. They are that kind of club - once you have played there you know it is difficult to find anywhere better

Its a shame players dont realise that at the time!!

But as i said, Im all for the return of Lovenkrands. I think he'd up his effort, and he is a more mature player now.

As the Hammer says - Walter has to deliver the league next season. We need more attacking players.

Its a shame players dont realise that at the time!!

But as i said, Im all for the return of Lovenkrands. I think he'd up his effort, and he is a more mature player now.

As the Hammer says - Walter has to deliver the league next season. We need more attacking players.

The same could be said about Miller !!!!

Can't watch as I am at work, but he scored the odd good goal in a big game, but did fuck all for the rest of the seasons he was at Ibrox. Certainly in his last 2 he was absolutely dire. Yes he scored some decent goals but he was a lazy cunt, bone idle cunt who wanted away. Now he has seen the grass is not alway sgreener on the other side ie: he now has to work for his pay..

Get him tae fook!

I seem to remember that Lovenkrands really came onto his game when he was after a new contract. Says it all really. He has a shit load of talent but a poor attitude. I also feel that, for the most part, going back is not the way forward. It rarely works out - Barry Ferguson anyone?