whats your ideal starting lineup

Guest PortGlasgow

People make an effort to be positive and post a starting XI and people rip it to shreds without providing anything themselves. Until we're left with 2/3 players that everyone agrees on.

McGregor

** Cuellar ** **

** ** Thomson **

Its about being realistic about what we have at present and what we need to improve on

McGregor

Cuellar Webster

Whittaker --- Thomson --- S Smith

Beasley ---- Davis ---- Lafferty

--- --- Velicka

Boyd --- ---

That would be my idea based with us in possession. Velicka dropping back with Boyd pinning defenders deeper or both moving up to together. Wingers based on moving forward with the ball rather than holding up and feeding inside or down the wing. Say what you like about Burke but he did this well, Beasley also, struggle to remember he's a right mid as he done well on the left when asked. Think both have big parts to play in the future.

I really dont know much about Lafferty except one fa cup game and youtube snap shots so its hard to understand what exact role WS wants of him either LM or Striker?. Left Mid contenders we have currently are Adam, McCulloch and Lafferty. This is one of three positions I hope we strengthen as I think its a weak area. Fingers crossed S Smith gets back into form as people are beginning to forget how good he was both getting forward and defending. He didnt do it as consistently as Hutton but both at their best I would give the nod to S Smith just for his defensive ability. Watching the Maccabi game a few months ago reminded me how fluent he was in both areas.

The 2nd is Ferguson's role. Keep hearing the argument thats he's been playing out of position?? What position does he play? He's a terrible holding midfielder, usually out of position, cant/wont make a tackle, a terrible attacking midfielder, cant beat a man, doesnt link play between defence and attack, finishing is overall terrible, barracks others who atleast are giving a 100% then starts rubbing his ankle to excuse away all of the above. We've been playing with 10 men for 95% of the season. Not only does contribute next to nothing he stops others playing by running 20 yards to take the ball off their feet. Im sick of watching it.

I would hope this would be a priority for the transfer window, someone who can operate with the ball linking play between defence into midfield and either holding the ball, getting it down the wings or through to the forwards. I have no doubt Ferguson has plenty to offer but he reserves his best for europe/celtic games the rest of the time its like playing with a man down. Not just one season i've been pulling my hair out over ferguson even before the name Le Guen was ever mentioned.

I dont think we've gave up on Davis, once Al Fayed realises he may be losing out on the only cash option for him to re-coup the �£4M he spent he may come back to the table. Hodgson's already made his intentions clear when he came in. He did struggle to play two decent weekend + midweek games in a row either due to fitness or the amount of effort he put into his game. Apart from Thomson theirs not many better at regaining possession in the middle of the park. At his peak fitness he was a very very able player

Last area I think we need to improve on is RM, Novo is a brilliant player to bring on in the latter parts of games but I think he struggles when he starts. The first game against Celtic last year is the only game I can remember where he performed after starting even though he struggled with control in the first 15 minutes. Main contenders are Beasley and Novo. Beasley good attacking player and takes an awesome free kick/corner, something we've severely missed through his absence. I dont think we can afford not to play Beasley just for this reason. No one else comes close to providing the same delivery. We cant afford to risk Beasley getting injured and having to rely again on players being drafted in to play out of position in this area.

Three areas of ACM, RM and/or LM

Very very good analysis PortGlasgow.

Agree with you on most parts, undecided on Beasley at RM but as you say, we are all a little unsure as to how Lafferty will get on and where he will play, I did think it was LM too so that will be interesting.

I cant see WS not playing BF tbh and at �£4m Davis would be wasted unless he was played in the centre. Disagree slightly about the critisicm of BF but he can do a hell of a lot better than he has shown. Been said before, he is a great player but looked so so much better with DeBoer in the team alongside him and hit 16 goals that season.

It really is going to be a mystery until the transfers are all done an dusted and the friendlies start.

People make an effort to be positive and post a starting XI and people rip it to shreds without providing anything themselves. Until we're left with 2/3 players that everyone agrees on.

McGregor

** Cuellar ** **

** ** Thomson **

Its about being realistic about what we have at present and what we need to improve on

McGregor

Cuellar Webster

Whittaker --- Thomson --- S Smith

Beasley ---- Davis ---- Lafferty

--- --- Velicka

Boyd --- ---

That would be my idea based with us in possession. Velicka dropping back with Boyd pinning defenders deeper or both moving up to together. Wingers based on moving forward with the ball rather than holding up and feeding inside or down the wing. Say what you like about Burke but he did this well, Beasley also, struggle to remember he's a right mid as he done well on the left when asked. Think both have big parts to play in the future.

I really dont know much about Lafferty except one fa cup game and youtube snap shots so its hard to understand what exact role WS wants of him either LM or Striker?. Left Mid contenders we have currently are Adam, McCulloch and Lafferty. This is one of three positions I hope we strengthen as I think its a weak area. Fingers crossed S Smith gets back into form as people are beginning to forget how good he was both getting forward and defending. He didnt do it as consistently as Hutton but both at their best I would give the nod to S Smith just for his defensive ability. Watching the Maccabi game a few months ago reminded me how fluent he was in both areas.

The 2nd is Ferguson's role. Keep hearing the argument thats he's been playing out of position?? What position does he play? He's a terrible holding midfielder, usually out of position, cant/wont make a tackle, a terrible attacking midfielder, cant beat a man, doesnt link play between defence and attack, finishing is overall terrible, barracks others who atleast are giving a 100% then starts rubbing his ankle to excuse away all of the above. We've been playing with 10 men for 95% of the season. Not only does contribute next to nothing he stops others playing by running 20 yards to take the ball off their feet. Im sick of watching it.

I would hope this would be a priority for the transfer window, someone who can operate with the ball linking play between defence into midfield and either holding the ball, getting it down the wings or through to the forwards. I have no doubt Ferguson has plenty to offer but he reserves his best for europe/celtic games the rest of the time its like playing with a man down. Not just one season i've been pulling my hair out over ferguson even before the name Le Guen was ever mentioned.

I dont think we've gave up on Davis, once Al Fayed realises he may be losing out on the only cash option for him to re-coup the �£4M he spent he may come back to the table. Hodgson's already made his intentions clear when he came in. He did struggle to play two decent weekend + midweek games in a row either due to fitness or the amount of effort he put into his game. Apart from Thomson theirs not many better at regaining possession in the middle of the park. At his peak fitness he was a very very able player

Last area I think we need to improve on is RM, Novo is a brilliant player to bring on in the latter parts of games but I think he struggles when he starts. The first game against Celtic last year is the only game I can remember where he performed after starting even though he struggled with control in the first 15 minutes. Main contenders are Beasley and Novo. Beasley good attacking player and takes an awesome free kick/corner, something we've severely missed through his absence. I dont think we can afford not to play Beasley just for this reason. No one else comes close to providing the same delivery. We cant afford to risk Beasley getting injured and having to rely again on players being drafted in to play out of position in this area.

Three areas of ACM, RM and/or LM

Excellent post mate.

Firstly i can't agree more about Barry Ferguson and i have been preaching the same sermon since he came back from Blackburn. I was asked months ago to come up with a name to replace him. I came up with Orlando Engelaar who at that time was not in the limelight and would have cost about 2 mill in January. Engelaar has not yet signed for Schalke but with Twente now holding out for 8 mill euro's he has now fallen outside our price range.

I will now offer up another name who in my opinion would be far more of a positive influence on our midfield than Barry and is in our price range and that is Ismail Aissati of PSV.

Last season he was loaned out to FC Twente and was their best player and this season PSV pulled him back in and hardly used him. I am certain

Aissati is a diamond waiting to be polished. Not an International and not a first team player his price can't be that high.

Why has he not hit it off with PSV. Easy to answer Ibrahim Afellay if we have 20mill euro's we should buy him instead.

Walter or Ally if you come on here please note.

What is our line-up with the players we now have.

---------------McGregor( no rocket science there)-----

Whitteker has to have a good run at right back.

King Carlos- certainty.

I am going to go mad for a second. I would love to see how Hemdani and king carlos would fit in as our central defenders. I really thought with a good player next to him and barry not taking the ball off his toes Hemdani could have been great in that position.

Otherwise it has to be a Newby as with Weir we sit too deep and Webster is a non-starter.

I would love Papac to be able to play CH as well to free up the LB position for a fully fit Smith.

Thomson -Certainty

Newby sell Barry for the money as he will not play second fiddle.

Agree with Beasley on the right and Lafferty(i know nothing about him) on the left.

At this point i would go for Cousin and Velicka(sp) with Boyd, miller and JCD ready to shove on.

That leaves:

-----------McGregor------

Whittekar----Carlos----Hemdani-----Smith.

--------------Thomson---------

Beasley--------Newby(Aissatti)--------Lafferty

--------------Cousin------Velicka ---------

Pete that isnt a bad shout BTW for Hemdani to move back into the defence. He still isnt quick nor the greatest tackler but to read a game and begin passing and play he is top notch. On your previous post you mentioned a back 3 - again that isnt a bad shout seen as we are unsure about full backs.

Also a Cousin and Velicka partnership would be awesome but I think Cousin is gone TBH.

At RB i am really hoping Whittaker plays here. But i fear he is going to be used as a midfielder again and he offers nothing creative there bar 1 amazing solo goal last season.

Ferguson is the big question for me. If he is fit and playing to his game then he starts, if he isnt 100% fit then bench him until he is.

Id like to see something like this (if we dont get Davis then keep Buffel)

______________________McGregor___________________

Whittaker________Cuellar_________Weir________Papac/Smith

________Ferguson______Davis/Buffel_______Thomson_____

____Miller/Novo__________Velicka_____________Beasley/Lafferty

You could even put Hemdani in for an unfit Ferguson and Darcheville in for Velicka.

EDIT : Not to piss on your parade but you don't have enough U-21's in the squad for the regulations....

That's one good thing about Lafferty is that he's only 20. With him, Fleck and Furman on the bench, the U21 rule won't be so much of a drawback.

Naismith helped in that regard last year.

I think Lennon needs to go on loan as he hasn't had a game for about 2 seasons. He's a good prospect but well down the pecking order now.

I hope that McGregor doesn't waltz straight back into No1 as Alexander did nothing wrong as his replacement

Hendami at centre-half - no chance, he can't head the ball to save his life........

I would like to see Papac and CC get a run together with a new right and left back.

Midfield is where we struggle - we nedd at least one, if not two creative midfield players. At the moment the strongest 3 are Thomson, Ferguson and Hendami (as Davis isn't yet signed) and I'd play Lafferty and Beasley as the wode players with Velicka as the lone striker.

Cammy F

I think if we make a serious assault in Europe again there's a great chance we might see more of the likes of Webster, Smith, Furman, and Fleck being used in the SPL. Making 38 year old Davie Weir play 60 games in one season was a bit nasty ! Maybe some kind of rotation may keep some of our players fresher for the big games.

I hope that McGregor doesn't waltz straight back into No1 as Alexander did nothing wrong as his replacement

F

Sorry - must strongly disagree. Alexander was signed as a no. 2 and was happy to do so. Granted, he did a great job as back-up but did have dodgy moments, especially when dealing with crosses. He couldn't have pulled off the saves AM did v Werder Bremen.