Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

What's been said that's over the top?

The certain players who received criticism from the fans deserved it. Players like Lafferty and Edu in particular were for the most part of the season and in Ediu's case, the full season, anonymous. It was only when our Walter Smith took the shackles off the team that they started to perform to an acceptable level (Edu aside).

For about 65% of the season we played some of the worst football in my lifetime and for that reason Walter Smith deserves to be criticised. Yes, we won the majority of these games but I expect better from Rangers.

No one is exempt from criticism but a few think otherwise.

You're fishing right gazza?

Some of the crap that was said about Walter after we got beat sometimes was embarassing surely you must admit that! Then the usual players such as McCulloch, Lafferty, Edu etc can't even have a bad pass without getting slated by some on here, and it's usually from the same people. I don't care who doesn't like/rate who but as soon they have a bad game they get slated, they don't get as much praise when they play well.

He certainly isn't worth more than a million.

Not to us he isn't, although we're definitely going to need cover for Papac. Last season we had Foster who could play left back or play right back allowing Whittaker to cover for Papac when needed, but we don't have the cover that Foster provided any more. I don't think it would be prudent to depend on Broadfoot being available.

Haha, that's utter bullshit. I know not a soul within Ibrox. I didn't guess either, I just read the internet sites, watch the tv and listen to the radio.

Stop being so defensive.

Yeah you do, you are da man in da know :D

You're fishing right gazza?

Some of the crap that was said about Walter after we got beat sometimes was embarassing surely you must admit that! Then the usual players such as McCulloch, Lafferty, Edu etc can't even have a bad pass without getting slated by some on here, and it's usually from the same people. I don't care who doesn't like/rate who but as soon they have a bad game they get slated, they don't get as much praise when they play well.

Welcome to the world of the football fan. We all have our favourites, the players who we speak no ill of, and the players we don't rate, who can't do anything right in our eyes.

It's not really fair or unfair, it's just the emotion that goes with football. Because being a fan of this sport involves anything but rational judgement.

I've said that I wanted a flexible defender preferably a full back type player to be brought in. We need to move on Romanov probably going to blame the mafia for this bid anyway clearly a mad man that we should avoid dealing. Look abroad in my eyes, I know they won't have connections to the club or are Scottish or English but the fees that have been demanded by SPL clubs, especially, is quite frankly deluded.

@Zappa's post

I've said that I wanted a flexible defender preferably a full back type player to be brought in. We need to move on Romanov probably going to blame the mafia for this bid anyway clearly a mad man that we should avoid dealing. Look abroad in my eyes, I know they won't have connections to the club or are Scottish or English but the fees that have been demanded by SPL clubs, especially, is quite frankly deluded.

Fees for footballers are going up like crazy world wide. Players in Europe are being sold casually for 30-50M quid, and completely average English players cost about �£20M.

It was going to follow that the SPL would be the same.

@Zappa's post

Exactly. I'd be pretty upset if we spent 3 million quid on Goodwillie and Wallace. We might only have �£5m or thereabouts, so we need to be really smart with it.

Fees for footballers are going up like crazy world wide. Players in Europe are being sold casually for 30-50M quid, and completely average English players cost about �£20M.

It was going to follow that the SPL would be the same.

Nah, Hearts have a large debt, Romanov can cover it but if he left they would be up shit creek, debt around �£35m. Dundee Utd had to transfer their debt about last season. I know inflation doesn't help but these prices especially for people in their last year are a joke.

Their is also the added fact I'm quite pissed off if the reported bidding is true with Bougherra for �£600k or �£1m and Bursaspors joke bids and they are in the last year. Thankfully we haven't caved like we used to. What we paid for both and I would sell.

Exactly. I'd be pretty upset if we spent 3 million quid on Goodwillie and Wallace. We might only have �£5m or thereabouts, so we need to be really smart with it.

Goodwillie with his case(s) would be max for me about �£1.75m but I would only offer about �£1.5m with further add-ons for appearance or goals or internationals appearances to make it up to �£1.75m. I would be tempted to pay �£2m for Goodwillie but not upfront and with the add-on clauses I mentioned. Lee Wallace max would be about �£600k-�£700k.

Nah, Hearts have a large debt, Romanov can cover it but if he left they would be up shit creek, debt around �£35m. Dundee Utd had to transfer their debt about last season. I know inflation doesn't help but these prices especially for people in their last year are a joke.

I accept your point but Ashley Young was in his last year yet still cost Man Utd about �£20M.

That said, doesn't your point about debt sorta reinforce why these teams are trying to rake in so much for players?

Their is also the added fact I'm quite pissed off if the reported bidding is true with Bougherra for �£600k or �£1m and Bursaspors joke bids and they are in the last year. Thankfully we haven't caved like we used to. What we paid for both and I would sell.

There's also the bizarre interest in Edu for 3M Euros. Bougherra isn't great, so he is not attracting the bids - he didn't last summer, and he hasn't this summer either. Whittaker is because the Turks got Miller on the cheap so think they can do it again. And are shocked that we're playing hardball this time.

Welcome to the world of the football fan. We all have our favourites, the players who we speak no ill of, and the players we don't rate, who can't do anything right in our eyes.

It's not really fair or unfair, it's just the emotion that goes with football. Because being a fan of this sport involves anything but rational judgement.

To me it just gets boring when the same people attack the same players and managers online yet give hardly no credit when they do well. Doing it once or twice fair enough but it's like it's personal to say 'I'm right I told you he's crap' when someone has a bad game or the team plays the wrong tactics and we get beat. If it was that easy we'd all be top class footballers and managers :)