Keith Jackson in today's record

I remember when we bought these SPL players being surprised and excited we were buying what I thought were decent players. My optimism was sky high and I looked forward to a bright future of a new era built on skill, attacking football and giving youth a chance. There were many on here who were optimistic that we could win a cup or two.

I don't know all the inside information necessary to come to a conclusion about where we've gone wrong, whether it is the players attitudes, management decisions, poor coaching, the manager losing the dressing room or whatever. But I have no doubt things have not gone according to plan and what we are seeing on the pitch is way below what my expectations are. I cannot fathom out what is going on tactically and why we persistently play these formations clearly unsuited to the personnel, why we play so many players out of position, why we play so negatively against teams we should be walloping and why the players look a shadow of their former selves. I am looking for us to go forward, to make progress and play attractive, passing football. I am not looking for the moon, just for the basics to be right so that we can build on them.

I'd fancy the fact we were getting both on a free made their weekly wage a bit more affordable. Unfortunately, their performances so far haven't made them value for money but hopefully they'll improve as we go through the leagues and make their wages look a bit more attractive.

PS: Don't look at the bonuses though if Imran's structure is anything to go by... ;)

Agreed, though we did pay a fee for Templeton it's unlikely he would be earning any less, likewise in a few seasons that may well look fair value then again it may not.

Through all the protestations that we're now being run in a proper business like manner it's hard to see examples of those claims being fact, I find the potential board remuneration cost to be particularly alarming.

I'd like to think the accounts when issued will provide proof that we have in fact cut our cloth according but that's more in hope than expectation.

Shiels was on £1500 a week at Kilmarnock, the best offer Ian Black had was £3k we pay them both £7k per week, it seems we have learned nothing from our profligate past.

Alexander on £16k per week is steep too, IMO. Nice little rise from recent contract extension.

I don't have a copy of management accounts to hand, but I'd fancy that the £7k p/w they are on, if true, was the gamble to make them sign up as we knew we needed to sign players that would tide us over for a period of 12 months. Also, in the context of the revenues received and the funds raised by Green, I'd hardly say that either is on profligate wages other than the fact we are in SFL3, and that is what would likely have been demanded by an experienced player of their supposed calibre.

Black's best offer was £3k do you really think the extra £4k was necessary ? Same with Shiels.

It looks to me like lessons unlearned.

The funds raised by Green have to go a very long way and once they're gone they're gone there's no overdraft facilities to dip into, we have to have a full years funding in place before the start of each season, that looks achievable for the next two seasons with the IPO money but after that it's a different story.

Black's best offer was £3k do you really think the extra £4k was necessary ? Same with Shiels.

It looks to me like lessons unlearned.

The funds raised by Green have to go a very long way and once they're gone they're gone there's no overdraft facilities to dip into, we have to have a full years funding in place before the start of each season, that looks achievable for the next two seasons with the IPO money but after that it's a different story.

Given more time for negotiation and to assess alternative options, you may well be right. But my argument is consistent, we didn't have the time to do those things. We had both hands tied behind our backs until just a couple of days before our first game. We then had a situation where some our heaviest salaried players that remained wanted to go: Broadfoot, Goian, Boca.

Now, if you were to say we could have had plans B, C and D in place to mitigate against this then fair enough, but I'd further content that there wasn't enough time to enact them.

The first set of accounts will reveal all won't they?

I'm sure we'd all like to think so, but my gut feeling at the moment (call it a hunch) is that the accounts will probably raise more questions than they answer.

I also think it should perhaps be taken into account that ST renewals are going to come along before the accounts do and with an increase in prices that's going to equate to the fans being asked to cough up a LOT of cash before seeing the first season's (sketchy?) financial details.

I'm sure we'd all like to think so, but my gut feeling at the moment (call it a hunch) is that the accounts will probably raise more questions than they answer.

I also think it should perhaps be taken into account that ST renewals are going to come along before the accounts do and with an increase in prices that's going to equate to the fans being asked to cough up a LOT of cash before seeing the first season's (sketchy?) financial details.

The accounts will also be flattered by the inclusion of two sets of season ticket monies in one accounting period which will make things slightly opaque.